Memory Usage Problem! Causes Crash

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Triple T
level0

Postby Triple T » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:54 pm

The crashes definitely happen also in other levels than those with red darwinians (1crash/2hours) but in the last levels it becomes unbearable at my PC (Athlon 1.2GHz, 256MB RAM, 32MB GeForce 2 GTS). My computer didn't let me play Darwinia for more than 15 minutes without rebooting there... So I started looking for solution (for example in the manual) and after disabling hardware 3D sounds (or whatever it is) the crashing stopped.
I think that probability of the crash highly depends on number of sprites-particles-souls in the level, it's somehow like they didn't disappear.?
juice
level1
level1

Postby juice » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:16 pm

Same problem experienced!
Turning hardware acceleration off seems to have cured the problem, though
Triple T
level0

Postby Triple T » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:08 pm

Triple T wrote:I think that probability of the crash highly depends on number of sprites-particles-souls in the level, it's somehow like they didn't disappear.?
Hey, what was I thinking about in that moment? Of course it has something to do with the sounds (some "spawn" ones?) - turn off 3D hardware sounds, and this blackbox (I got it once, too) with sound_library_3d_dsound.cpp problem.
gkscotty
level1
level1

Postby gkscotty » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:17 pm

I'm not sure if it's to do with 3D sounds hardware accelleration. That's "unavailable" for me and I get the crashes.
TimVarley
level0

Postby TimVarley » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:59 pm

I get the same problem but it appears to be linked to airstrikes.
Just thought I'd mention it I love the game but this is frustrating.
Daveodeth
level0

Postby Daveodeth » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:48 pm

I have the same problem it seems to be a direct sound problem. After playing for a while my performance will degrade and my machine access the hard drive loads. I then get an error message box saying Out of memory with direct sound in the title bar. This happened only in the pattern buffer so far but i'm only that far into the game.

Congrats on such a good game lads, here's hopin i can play further into it.

Edit: This is really wierd if i turn of hardware audio i get a blue screen of death reffering to kmixer.sys

I have all the driver updates for my Audigy 2, this is really perplexing me.
Two and one half badgers please, no i'll eat them here.
thebert
level0

Me too

Postby thebert » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:19 pm

My game just crashed on my first attempt at playing Pattern Buffer after getting progressively slower and slower (and using up more and more memory):

Application popup: Darwinia: darwinia.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x00475513" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

I think it is a straight memory leak as Windows ran out of VM just before this (I have a very large, but not growable swap file).

I have:
Athlon XP 2400+
SB Audigy 2
GeForce 4 Ti4400
512MB RAM
Deek069
level0

Postby Deek069 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:15 am

I am also unable to continue playing as it continuously crashes in Pattern Buffer.

Strangley when I reduced the sound memory usage, the problem occured sooner.
NHJ BV
level1
level1

Postby NHJ BV » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:56 pm

I also got a crash when engaging the last island in the Reciever level, it's not just Pattern_buffer and not just when fighting Red Darwinians either.

EDIT: wow, after just ten, maybe fifteen minutes of fighting in pattern_buffer Darwinia took 160 MB :shock:
stubbsy
level1
level1

Postby stubbsy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:53 am

I usually have somewhere between a gig and 800MB of free memory (out of 1.5g total), but darwinia will use the whole lot if i play for too long... i notice the swap file being used, most annoying :<
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:00 am

stubbsy wrote:I usually have somewhere between a gig and 800MB of free memory (out of 1.5g total), but darwinia will use the whole lot if i play for too long... i notice the swap file being used, most annoying :<

First, have you tired turning off Hardware 3D Sound and Realtime FX? There are known problems with those settings. Chris is working on a fix, but it may be a while, what with Defcon coming out.

Second, notice that this thread is eight months old. There are several topics that are active right now that describe a fix for this problem, including a sticky titled FAQ - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION. A simple search probably would have found a solution.

xander
stubbsy
level1
level1

Postby stubbsy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:09 pm

Firstly, no i haven't tried turning off either of those settings because i quite like them, and it's a nice test for the ram to have it all used occasionally.

Secondly, I know this is old, but i was link to it from a new topic. I had no intention of bumping sorry.
phavelar
level0

memory leak

Postby phavelar » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:59 am

Yes, I'm also experimenting memory leak.
That sucks !

That tells you the game wasn't tested enough.

People should test their software product better before releasing it.

I'm sick of buggy software. sorry I'm pissed today.

Anyways I wish the source was open, I would fix it myself.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:04 pm

Or just wait for the guys at IV to do it, seeing as it's their game, they spent all their time making it, 'n' all :roll:
DoctorMike
level0

Still a current bug

Postby DoctorMike » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:37 pm

Got the 1.4 version from Steam. Still has the bugs with the evil darwininians; they appear more evil than intended! Crash on high combat and in pattern buffer as previously reported

Return to “Windows Issues”