Water not covering land properly

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Icepick
level5
level5

Water not covering land properly

Postby Icepick » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:10 pm

At certain points on the map where the land dips below the water level, the water doesnt fill the gap all the way, creating a bizzare gap in the land.
The following screenshot is a good example of this.

This is the patch of water on the second island, near where the Centipede roams. You can see that the water doesnt cover all the way across to the right.
This isn't a one off thing, there are a couple of other instances in the beta level, and it also happens on levels I've created myself.
rob_quill
level1
level1

Postby rob_quill » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:35 pm

See here

It may be becuase you have render water detail on 0 instead of 1. It was remarked in that thread that it should be a Class C, but never got moved.

Rob
da_zeg
level2
level2

Postby da_zeg » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:38 pm

Icepick, how did you create your own levels?
Andcarne
level4
level4

Postby Andcarne » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:42 pm

By defeating the password protection on Main.dat.

IV has asked that those of us who have broken it not discuss how it was done, what the password is, or distribute the contents, so you're on your own.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:39 am

rob_quill wrote:See here

It may be becuase you have render water detail on 0 instead of 1. It was remarked in that thread that it should be a Class C, but never got moved.

Rob

Technically, the thread you linked to isn't a bug, he turned off the water himself :/ Anyway I think I've worked it out.
The RenderWaterDetail setting seems to be the size of each water 'square' the game creates, with the default being one. If the size of the land directly below the water is less than the RenderWaterDetail value, the game doesnt render the water in that point. In the screenshot I posted, that the land comes together in a V shaped gap, meaning that there are no squares of land below the water leve, and thus the water doesn't get rendered. The whole effect is more pronounced if you turn RenderWaterDetail up to 2 or 4.

Return to “Windows Issues”