Rebelious Darwinians

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

n3o77
level3
level3

Rebelious Darwinians

Postby n3o77 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:37 am

Not sure if this is just something I am doing wrong or wether other people get this...
Sometimes after creating an officer and hearding up some darwinians i guide them all where I want with little effort, then for no apparent reason a couple of Darwinians just kinda...well get bored and just wander off :/

is this right? anyone else had rogue Darwinians?

Once again sorry if this is just my incompetence as an officer, just thought i would say about it and ask :)
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:40 am

yeah ive seen this a few times, i normally just round them up again with my officer.
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
film11
level3
level3

Postby film11 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:46 am

Is the officer near the rogue darwinians? If not, the darwinians wont follow orders.
Slayer
level2
level2

Postby Slayer » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:37 pm

Once Darwinians finish their move orders, they revert to their standard 'wander around randomly' movement pattern. If you give them orders again they will move to their new position. It might be possible to make them stay in one place by having an office at that point giving an order to move next to him; I will check it out.

UPDATE: Yes, that works. They will run around quickly, but will all remain bundled around the officer.
A different game, a second coming...
Soulkeeper
level3
level3

Postby Soulkeeper » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:44 pm

There's a lot you can do with officers, really. You can set them up around the map (assuming you can create a load w'out D crashing) and use them to herd DGs in really complex maneuvers around the map (say, from an incubator to a safe location so they can be used as RPs). Oh, and yes, it is possible to use an officer to get DGs to stand next to him.
- I see your destiny, I control your fate. I am the Guardian Soulkeeper. -
rob_quill
level1
level1

Postby rob_quill » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:04 am

Here is a screenshot of some disobediant Darwinians. What I did was create an officer and send everyone over to the radar, so that they just wondered around and around the radar in a circle. I then changed the desination the officer was telling them to go to, and moved him to stand next to the darwinians, except they wouldn't obey him and kept wakling around and around the radar. Also, there is the weird glow, but I'll mention that elsewhere.

Sorry for the image not being there right now, but it will be as soon as the damn school server gets back up. Sorry.

Slayer
level2
level2

Postby Slayer » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:04 pm

The reason for this bug is that, as far as I can make out, Darwinia's will continue attempting to follow orders until they finally fulfil them, even if they get stuck in a loop, and will ignore new orders until this is completed. So if they, for example, are sent to a radar they can't get into, or over a stretch of water they can't find a way around, they become stuck.

Short of killing them and harvesting the remains, the only way I've found to unstick them is to promote them to officers one by and, then demote them again.
Epsilon
level1
level1

Postby Epsilon » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:34 am

Yep, had this happen too.

I had one Officer on the starting side to tell the herd to use the radar. After doing so, I accidentaly gave a movement order with the same Officer, to a location on the starting side. For some reason the darwinians couldn't traverse the radar going the other direction. They also disregard all further Officer commands and just play merry-go-round-the-radar.
Slayer
level2
level2

Postby Slayer » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:54 pm

The reason they couldn't go the other way is because of something I didn't realise until I was told by someone else in IRC; Radars are a one-way device. In order to get them to go back, you have to line up the second radar up directly with the first. This is a little glitchy at the moment with certain radars.
goweb
level3
level3

Postby goweb » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:33 pm

I had them circling without telling them to go back through the radar (it was the radar connecting the mine island with the refinery island).
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:15 pm

Epsilon wrote:Yep, had this happen too.

<image removed from quote>

I had one Officer on the starting side to tell the herd to use the radar. After doing so, I accidentaly gave a movement order with the same Officer, to a location on the starting side. For some reason the darwinians couldn't traverse the radar going the other direction. They also disregard all further Officer commands and just play merry-go-round-the-radar.
It would appear that, as slayer mentioned, darwinians will follow the first orders received until they have completed them. Even if these orders are to use a radar that isn't working, or to move into the middle of the sea.

The orders aren't canclled until they have been completed, Sometimes this means they are never completed (eg. move into the sea)

Also if the path of darwinians passes that of another officer, they won't follow the new officer's commands. They will continue straight past.

Darwinians following orders will become controlled, and follow a squad.

This bug requires only the pre-requesite of having created and officer, and the officer giving (impossable) orders to darwinians. All darwinians are affected, excluding controlled darwinians or officers.

Can be recreated every time.
Totallyout2lunch
level2
level2

Postby Totallyout2lunch » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:31 pm

Can replicate this, it was giving me a headache.

I realised that the dish had got unaligned so there was no bounce to go to. Realigned dish, and wahhhhayyyy off they went.

Had a new one though I sent a squad through the dishes that were aligned with eackother, one of the squads kept bouncing back.

I know this has been highlighted before, but realign the dish and it is all ok.

I have not read this elsewhere, but if somebody else has posted, sorry...

When aligning 2 dishes at each other, I get one of the dishes bouncing when it is in critical alignment. Is this meant to happen?
Check me out!!!
Windows Leads to anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate Leads to Linux...
rob_quill
level1
level1

Postby rob_quill » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:41 pm

Where you say "bouncing" other people say "shaking" I think. There is a shaking radar hread in both Class B and Class C.

Rob

Return to “Windows Issues”