Iphone darwinia or multiwinia

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

User avatar
ReddRush
level0
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:05 am

Iphone darwinia or multiwinia

Postby ReddRush » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:16 am

After playing Darwinia on xbox 360, I want it on my ipod touch. The ipod/iphone is a great place to put this game and can easlily handle a multiwina with maybe a small campaign. I can even think of the perfect control scheme. Anyone else who has any ideas or wants to let Introvision know you want it just put it right here!!
User avatar
martin
level5
level5
Posts: 3210
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby martin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:17 am

You have two posts, both look rather similar. We don't need this twice
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16868
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:28 am

martin wrote:You have four posts, both look rather similar. We don't need this twice

Fix'd.

(See how annoying that is?)

xander
User avatar
martin
level5
level5
Posts: 3210
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby martin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:20 am

lol.

Please note biting sarcasm and a total lack of amusement. At least we can correctly parse both options this time.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16868
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:30 am

martin wrote:lol.

Please note biting sarcasm and a total lack of amusement. At least we can correctly parse both options this time.

I love you too, martin.

xander
User avatar
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Postby Pyr0qvy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:09 am

Again, i was on this WAAAY before you and i'm kind of annoyed, both from their reasons and the fact that you didn't post in mine.(wherever that one is)
User avatar
DinoSteve
level3
level3
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: California, US

Re: Iphone darwinia or multiwinia

Postby DinoSteve » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:50 am

ReddRush wrote:After playing Darwinia on xbox 360, I want it on my ipod touch. The ipod/iphone is a great place to put this game and can easlily handle a multiwina with maybe a small campaign. I can even think of the perfect control scheme. Anyone else who has any ideas or wants to let Introvision know you want it just put it right here!!


You Sir, are and idiot :)


Learn how to edit posts
Learn how to post on a forum
Learn how to resize your avatar
Learn how to use the search button
Learn not to blame your stupidity on your 'friend'
The above post is not intended as an attack on you. It's not about making you look stupid for not searching. It merely states the facts. Please don't be offended.
User avatar
ReddRush
level0
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:05 am

Postby ReddRush » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Yeah I never saw yours...
User avatar
martin
level5
level5
Posts: 3210
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby martin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:59 pm

xander wrote:
martin wrote:lol.

Please note biting sarcasm and a total lack of amusement. At least we can correctly parse both options this time.

I love you too, martin.

xander


Ok, actually I did laugh at that one :roll:
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
User avatar
hitm4n
level3
level3
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:22 pm

Postby hitm4n » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Maybe learn to spell Introvision correctly too...
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16868
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:49 pm

hitm4n wrote:Maybe learn to spell Introvision correctly too...

You mean Intervision?

xander
Snowy_River
level1
level1
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Postby Snowy_River » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:29 pm

So, I may get more of the same, but I'm astonished at the thread cr@pping going on here. A user posts an idea and not one person posts an honest reply to his idea. Everyone jumps in to come up with a criticism or insult for the original poster. Not very good netiquette, if you ask me.

Personally, I'm interested in the original topic. I'd love to see Darwinia ported to the iOS. In the other thread, one poster commented that the iPhone didn't have enough power to handle such a game. Given the original system requirements, I can't understand this argument:

System requirements
600 MHz CPU
128MB RAM
60MB hard disk
16MB graphic card

The latest crop of iOS devices certainly stand up to those requirements.

Another comment was that the screen was too small. While for some people this may be an issue, I've seen plenty of games that I wouldn't want to play on an iPhone or iPod Touch screen for that reason that seem to do fantastically well. So, that doesn't seem to be a good argument for not porting the app over. Plus, at this point, the iPhone and iPod Touch are not the only game in town for the iOS. My interest stems from the fact that I'd love to be able to play Darwinia on my iPad (not being a fan of the small screen game play much myself, either).

I think that the idea of porting Darwinia to iOS is a very good one and one that the developers should strongly consider.
-Snowy
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16868
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Snowy_River wrote:So, I may get more of the same, but I'm astonished at the thread cr@pping going on here. A user posts an idea and not one person posts an honest reply to his idea. Everyone jumps in to come up with a criticism or insult for the original poster. Not very good netiquette, if you ask me.

It is also poor netiquette to join a forum and explain how everyone posting in that forum is being rude. There is a reason that people were rude: the idea was not new, and had already been discussed several times in the past. The fact that the original poster created not one, but two new topics to discuss an idea that had been beaten into the ground was a breach of netiquette. If he had used the forum search link, or Google, he could have found several topics about Darwinia (and other IV games) on iDevices. In fact, this post is the [url=iphone site:forums.introversion.co.uk/darwinia]seventh search result[/url], and the first result that is not either this topic, or obviously useless.

You come here to lecture us on netiquette, yet utterly fail to be polite yourself. Go jump in a lake.

Snowy_River wrote:Personally, I'm interested in the original topic. I'd love to see Darwinia ported to the iOS. In the other thread, one poster commented that the iPhone didn't have enough power to handle such a game. Given the original system requirements, I can't understand this argument:

System requirements
600 MHz CPU
128MB RAM
60MB hard disk
16MB graphic card

The latest crop of iOS devices certainly stand up to those requirements.

I have played both Darwinia and Multiwinia on systems with a 1 GHz CPU with a 64 MB ATi card (a Mac PowerBook to be precise). I have also played both games on a MacBook Air with a 2 GHz CPU and Intel Graphics. Multiwinia is unplayable on the PowerBook and sometimes drops a lot of frames on the MBA. Darwinia generally does okay on the MBA, but becomes almost unplayably slow on the PowerBook. The listed requirements are the minimum to get the game to run at all, not what is really needed to play the game well.

Now, to address your claim about iOS devices meeting even those woefully inadequate requirements: as far as I can tell, neither the iPad nor the iPhone has a dedicated graphics chip/card, which means that the (at most) 1 GHz CPU is going to have to handle graphics. This is going to be a problem. The other requirements are easily met, but they hardly matter if the machine does not have the horsepower to even run the game.

Snowy_River wrote:Another comment was that the screen was too small. While for some people this may be an issue, I've seen plenty of games that I wouldn't want to play on an iPhone or iPod Touch screen for that reason that seem to do fantastically well. So, that doesn't seem to be a good argument for not porting the app over.

Why not? Much of the joy of Darwinia is to be found in being able to actually see the graphics. Why can't IV make the decision, from an aesthetic or artistic point of view, that the iPhone screen is too small, and that they don't want to see their game reduced to that state? Also, have you ever actually tried running Darwinia at a lower resolution? I've played at 640x480, and let me tell you, it sucks, even on a larger screen. There just aren't enough pixels to display all of the information needed to play the game well. It would be even worse on a smaller screen.

Snowy_River wrote:Plus, at this point, the iPhone and iPod Touch are not the only game in town for the iOS. My interest stems from the fact that I'd love to be able to play Darwinia on my iPad (not being a fan of the small screen game play much myself, either).

So, basically, you agree that the iPhone screen is too small, and are advocating for the iPad. That's great. Unfortunately, at the time that this topic was posted, the iPad did not yet exist. This topic was posted in March, a month before the iPad was released. At the time that this discussion occurred, iPhone/iTouch was the only game in town for iOS.

And now you know why bumping old topics makes you look like an ass.

Snowy_River wrote:I think that the idea of porting Darwinia to iOS is a very good one and one that the developers should strongly consider.

The developers have repeatedly stated that they are sick and tired of *winia, and don't want to do anything more with it. On the other hand, since this topic was posted, IV have released the source code for *winia. So if anyone with programming ability agreed with you, they could certainly create the port themselves (though they would likely have to get permission from IV---I don't know how restrictive the license is).

xander
User avatar
NeatNit
level5
level5
Posts: 2929
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Israel
Contact:

Postby NeatNit » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:28 pm

xander, stop yelling at newcomers. Snowy_River did nothing wrong. He searched and found this thread. He noticed that no one mentioned the iPad or the system requirements thing, so he posted about it - and there's nothing wrong with bumping if it's with new information. He also noticed that none of the posts really answered the OP, and even though there was a reason for that, he didn't do anything wrong commenting on that.

I know you had a bad day, just like yesterday, the day before that, and the day before that, but find better posts to be rude about.

xander wrote:
Snowy_River wrote:Plus, at this point, the iPhone and iPod Touch are not the only game in town for the iOS. My interest stems from the fact that I'd love to be able to play Darwinia on my iPad (not being a fan of the small screen game play much myself, either).

So, basically, you agree that the iPhone screen is too small, and are advocating for the iPad. That's great. Unfortunately, at the time that this topic was posted, the iPad did not yet exist. This topic was posted in March, a month before the iPad was released. At the time that this discussion occurred, iPhone/iTouch was the only game in town for iOS.

And now you know why bumping old topics makes you look like an ass.
Seriously, if he had made a new topic just to mention the iPad, what would you have said? The last comment was uncalled for, especially since he said "at this point".



Also, I just noticed you put two spaces after a period. That's weird.
Snowy_River
level1
level1
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Postby Snowy_River » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:28 pm

First off, let me apologize. I am new on this forum and it is inappropriate for me to start my first post with a lecture on netiquette. The tone of the thread just simply floored me. I am not new to web forums in general, and I am even a moderator and administrator on a couple that I frequent. However, none of that excuses the heavy handedness of the initial part of my post. So, I am sorry.

Now, to the other points. Regarding the date of the thread, it was started just before the release of the iPad, and after the iPad had been announced. Therefore, the iPad could certainly have been part of the conversation from the beginning.

Regarding searching, please help me to understand this point. I'm here on the Darwinia forum and I click the search link. I type in "iPhone" and hit search. I get two results, namely this thread and the other thread by the OP that is almost identical. Okay, so I go back and try "iPod". Same result. I go back and I try "iOS". I got nothing before, and now this thread comes up because I have been mentioning the iOS in my posts. So, please tell me how I should have used the search function to find all of the previous discussions on this topic. Clearly I'm missing something.

Regarding screen size and dev decisions, sure they can make such a decision based on aesthetic reasons, or for any other reasons. However, I am at liberty to have an opinion. In point of fact, I do think that the screen size of the iPod and iPhone is too small. I could easily see the decision being made to port it to only the iPad. But, part of my point was that I know a lot of people who play games on the iPhone/iPod that I wouldn't consider playing because of screen size. Therefore, there are people out there who would be willing to play a game such as this even on such a small screen. Also, it is worth noting that the iPhone 4 and the iPod Touch 4G have a screen resolution of 960x640, though, of course, they weren't out when this thread was started.

Regarding system requirements, to start with, the iPad uses a PowerVR SGX graphics chip, so it does have a dedicated graphics chip. Now, it may well be that the iPad and iPhone don't have the HP to run the game, I don't know. I was approaching it from the only avenue easily available to me, namely checking the original published system requirements for Darwinia against the system specs of the iPhone/iPod/iPad. Based purely on that information, it appears that Darwinia should be able to run with little or no core modifications on the iOS platform. (Of course, UI modifications is another matter entirely.)

Finally, regarding the developers, while they may have said, repeatedly, that they were tired of *winia, I had never heard of that. I came on the forum because I was interested in the idea of running Darwinia on my iPad. If they are, in fact, tired of this genre, then all of this discussion (that is, discussion of the developer porting it to iOS) is completely irrelevant. I am intrigued by the fact that they've released the source code, and I might look into that a bit. (I have some coding background, though not much, and I know someone who is a professional developer who is always on the lookout for new projects...)

One last point on the topic of netiquette, it is rarely considered poor netiquette to bump an old thread when there is legitimate discussion still to be had. So, while through my initial lecture/rant I may have made something of an ass of myself, bumping the thread really didn't.
-Snowy

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest