Patch breaks saves?

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Hernan
level0

Patch breaks saves?

Postby Hernan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:13 am

I was up to the temple when i found out there was a patch, i figured i mayaswell install it (the loss of gestures is good, my mouse surface is terrible, and i cant do them quickly). However after patching i can't load my game... Is there any way to keep saves with the patch? or will i have to start again or reinstall?
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:43 am

If you were using a profile it should still be there. If you didn't make a profile and got to temple in one session, then you are SOL because without a profile the game doesn't have anywhere to save your save games and just keeps everything in memory while you play...

There is nothing different about save games between recent versions. But if you were playing a pre-1.3 version, there were some big changes around that time. But I'm not an expert on those details.

Find the Users directory where the profiles are saved. On WinXP it is under PRogram Files\Darwinia\Users I think. Your profile directory should be in there if you made one.

If you did make a profile you need to post more info, like what version you were playing before you patched, and which patch you applied (there are several).

If you are SOL, re-playing isn't a waste because the recent patches made some big changes to the game and the effects... you were missing lots of great stuff...
Hernan
level0

Postby Hernan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:13 pm

I do have a profile, and the files are still there (program files/darwinia/users). However after patching, the profiles dont show up in the in game profile menu, and if i make a new profile it isnt saved to the same folder. maybe the patch just changes where the profiles are saved? ive looked around but couldnt find where it was putting them
Before patching i was whatever version the download version is (darwinia_win32), i could be wrong but i think it was 1.2 or something. i was patching to the latest vista one (1.5.11).
At the moment ive reinstalled it just to finish it off, but i will most likely patch it and play it through again at a later date.
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:32 pm

the vista version saves stuff in some non-obvious place... been a confusing thing since it came out. if you ever need to know where, search in the Windows issues forum or in the Mod forum -- it's posted in one of them.

Your plan/action to revert the game version, replay to finish, then patch & replay again is the right one I think...
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:51 pm

Or... copy the files out of the Darwinia directory over to their new location in saved games...

Or... since you managed to play it at all so far anyway (ie with Vista's file access behavoirs not being dealt with), you might just be able to simple use XP compatability mode on the Darwinia executable, even for 1.5.11, which should make it look in the local directory (or crazy remapped program files folder) for all the save files.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Hernan
level0

Postby Hernan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:29 am

found the save folder after patching, moved the saves there, and finished it.
Great game :D
thanks for the help!

Return to “General”