Spread the Darwiniaism

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:08 am

Pyr0qvy wrote:sorry, i was tired and a little jumpy.

There. See? That wasn't so bad.

Now that we have that out of the way, I spread the DG love where ever I can. My secondary machine is a MacBook Air, which I take to classes with me. I often goof around before or after class with Darwinia, Defcon, or Multiwinia, and I have a little plastic DG that lives on my laptop/book bag. It is a bit worse for wear, but people ask about it all the time. I am all for spreading the love. I just try to do it in a way that cannot be seen as inappropriate. ;)

xander
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:13 pm

Sorry, but he didn't brag about loaning his game out, and he also didn't have to justify it and explain all his "it doesn't work on my pc, i uninstalled it" stuff in his original post either. I feel he got jumped on a bit and this thread DID go way off track. Now we are on page 2 and he's got a solitary post about "spreading the darwinianisms".

Loaning a CD out is just as wrong as loaning a game out too. You are letting another person listen to it without going and buying it themselves.
:roll:
ZMannZilla
level0

Postby ZMannZilla » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:23 am

I hope this is the right place to put this, my lurking has revealed that there are dire consequences for n00bism...

Anyways, I finally got around to beating Darwinia, after having played it on and off for almost 2 years. Love the game, will most certainly play all these mods I see floating around. And I've been doing my part to spread the Darwinianism with a review I wrote on a blog. Nothing major, really, to be honest it's not what I'd call "A material" but... ah, heck with it, it is what it is. Click here to go check it out.

As for other ways I've been spreading the love, I have over the course of 2 years been forcing everyone I know and have a fondness for to check it out. So far, the only person I've gotten interested in it was my current roommate, who asked to borrow the disk. Of course, I lost the disk like two moves ago, but it isn't like you can't get it from Target for $10 (I know, I've checked, it's how I got it).
SamHenderson
level0

Postby SamHenderson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:20 pm

<off topic>
Don't copy that floppy! I post this because I just saw it for the first time yesterday when we had a discussion about the various problems plaguing DRM and copy protection schemes. An odd coincidence I guess.
</off topic>

I showed the game off to a bunch of friends using my laptop and one of them went out and bought it. Even people who aren't into the RTS genre say it looks pretty nifty, kinda like how people who don't like FPSs think Portal looks nifty.
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:01 pm

In all honesty, I was at a friends house and he had downloaded Darwinia from a Torrent, I watched him play through so far and it said something about this is a download if you like it buy the full game. We both did, and two of his friends (Steam so no sharing)

So out of one download ( a rigged download) IV made 4+ sales. (of Darwinia) and 2x Sales of Multiwinia.
Not bad.

As for Spread the Darwinia, I have made a small thread spreading the word in other forums I use. Link
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:06 pm

As for the CD thing, its perfectly legal, the person in posession of the CD (Game CD / Music) has the rights to its use.

So If he gave the CD to his friend to install, as long as he didnt use Darwinia on his PC while he did not have the CD he/she is not breaking the law.

Thats how it stands in GB anyway.

The reason you cannot share or give games on Steam, is because the game belongs to the card holder as as no hard media is held, the game can never be given away, or moved on due to the fact the creditcard doesnt change hands, the game can't either. (or its something along those lines).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:04 pm

In each of your posts, there is an edit button. You can use this button to edit your posts with new information, rather than double posting.

xander
strongdl
level1
level1

Postby strongdl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:08 pm

I believe that it is lawful to sell/trade/gift a copy of software to someone else if you cease using it yourself. You jumped down the OP's throat for blatant piracy, when none was indicated.

Glad to hear your friend liked it.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:40 pm

strongdl wrote:I believe that it is lawful to sell/trade/gift a copy of software to someone else if you cease using it yourself.
That depends on the terms of the EULA.

Also, old topic is old
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1

Postby Pyr0qvy » Tue May 05, 2009 1:48 am

Killjoy wrote:As for the CD thing, its perfectly legal, the person in posession of the CD (Game CD / Music) has the rights to its use.

So If he gave the CD to his friend to install, as long as he didnt use Darwinia on his PC while he did not have the CD he/she is not breaking the law.

Thats how it stands in GB anyway.

The reason you cannot share or give games on Steam, is because the game belongs to the card holder as as no hard media is held, the game can never be given away, or moved on due to the fact the creditcard doesnt change hands, the game can't either. (or its something along those lines).

you've made a point that I tried to make, but you did it better than I could.

also, these forums aren't very active.

Return to “General”