Spread the Darwiniaism

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

User avatar
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Spread the Darwiniaism

Postby Pyr0qvy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:35 pm

About 3 or 4 days ago, I let my friend borrow my copy of Darwinia, of all the games he has played, he says this is the best he's ever played. Now I can't get it back from him.

...but anyways, who have you gotten addicted to Darwinia? and how do they like it?
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16867
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Riverside, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:14 pm

Not to be a jerk or anything, but you have basically admitted that you let your friend pirate your copy of Darwinia. While the intent to share the game with others, and have them enjoy it as much as you must appeal to the artistic side of IV, which, of course, seeks validation, I fear that your method does not help the business side of IV, which hopes to make money. A better method for showing off the game would be to let other people play it on your computer, rather than loaning out the disc.

xander
User avatar
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Postby Pyr0qvy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:43 pm

he plans on buying it(a retail copy), not like i gave a copy to him while i kept a copy for my own or anything.

my computer refuses to run darwinia, so i can not play it, and i thought he would like it, now he's in love with it.
..but yeah, it's like letting him borrow a console game while my 360 is RRODed.




also, don't take me as a pirate, i am not a pirate and never will be... btw, i prefer vikings.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16867
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Riverside, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:02 am

Pyr0qvy wrote:my computer refuses to run darwinia, so i can not play it, and i thought he would like it, now he's in love with it.
..but yeah, it's like letting him borrow a console game while my 360 is RRODed.

Not to harp on this, but it is not the same. There is no copy protection on Darwinia. Thus, having the physical media is no guarantee against piracy. You could use the same CD to install the game on multiple systems. Thus, when your computer is online again, you will be able to reinstall Darwinia, and he will still have it installed on his system. If he actually buys the game, good. However, if he actually buys the game, or if you truly cannot run the game and are giving him your copy, there is no problem. These are things that you did not specify in your initial post.

Pyr0qvy wrote:also, don't take me as a pirate, i am not a pirate and never will be... btw, i prefer vikings.

If you loan your Darwinia CD to someone else so that they can install the game on their system, while you simultaneously have a copy on your own machine, you are pirating the game. Period. It is not a big deal, but it is not something that you should brag about or bring up here. Now, it seems that this is not what you have done, but that was not made clear in your initial post.

xander
User avatar
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Postby Pyr0qvy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:39 pm

when i said it won't work with my machine, i forgot to mintion i uninstalled it.

this topic has derailed...
User avatar
Greendingbat
level1
level1
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:56 am
Location: The realms of Cyberdom

Postby Greendingbat » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:59 pm

cuz ur a pirate :D
no, i know how it goes with the lending of things to people who are about to buy them
but make sure he does, cuz IV doesn't deserve to be stolen from
but the getting-addicted-to-darwinia thing happened to me too
i bought the IV pack from steam cuz it looked cool, and after playing the demos, i was ready to try it
but for darwinia, the demo just wasn't enough to show the game in it's awsomeness
SPREAD THE DARWINIANISIM!
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
User avatar
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Postby Pyr0qvy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:29 pm

well, he's getting it for 360 for sure and he says the map editor was worth buying the game for(along with the key chain and poster)

p.s. got to level 1 with this post!
User avatar
allen
level3
level3
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:06 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby allen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:56 am

I understand what you mean xander but you can't look me in the face and tell me you never let a friend borrow a game? Or a CD? Ever?

I love IV and want to see them succeed just as much as you do but come on, letting one friend borrow a game really that big of a deal? Like I said, I see little difference in letting a friend borrow a game such as Darwinia, or a movie, or a cd. I do see a problem in burning him a copy or burning copies for every single person you know.

Besides, it has the potential to bring new customers to them. Awhile back I let a friend borrow Half-Life 2 (my steam account) and when Half Life 2 episode 2 came out he even pre-ordered it (orange box) because he enjoyed the first one so much. He wouldn't have tried the original without my recommendation.

Besides I would be more worried about bit torrent than this. I just checked for the sake of argument and there are (on a very popular torrent site) two torrents for Multiwinia, seven for Darwinia, five for Defcon (a couple claiming cracked?) and I don't even feel like counting all the ones for Uplink (at the very least 25-30).

But, to be a hypocrite, you should have gave him a link to the demo.

ok, on topic:
I tried to get one of my friends onto Darwinia and Multiwinia, I showed him the game at my house. He said the graphics looked like crap and something about it being nerdy. It's ok all he plays is Gears of War and Halo 3. Oh well I tried.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16867
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Riverside, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:23 am

allen wrote:I understand what you mean xander but you can't look me in the face and tell me you never let a friend borrow a game? Or a CD? Ever?

I have never, in my life, loaned a PC game to another person. I have loaned CDs to people, but under the assumption that they will not rip the CD to disk. Even then, a music CD is different from a game, in that CDs are not normally "installed" on a person's computer. Unlike software, you do not purchase a "license" for a music CD -- rather, you buy the physical media. So yes, if you were here, I could look you in the face and tell you that I have never let anyone pirate anything that I have purchased.

allen wrote:I love IV and want to see them succeed just as much as you do but come on, letting one friend borrow a game really that big of a deal? Like I said, I see little difference in letting a friend borrow a game such as Darwinia, or a movie, or a cd. I do see a problem in burning him a copy or burning copies for every single person you know.

No physical media is needed to play Darwinia -- there is no copy protection. Once it is installed, the disk is no longer necessary. Thus, there is a difference between Darwinia and the other media you mention. Darwinia is useless without being installed, and, once installed, the physical media is no longer necessary. Furthermore, as pointed out above, when you buy Darwinia, you are buying a license to play it. When you buy a movie or music CD, you are buying the physical media. The Darwinia license basically allows you to install one copy of the game for yourself, on one machine. If you loan the CD to someone else so that they can install and play the game, without first wiping it from your own system, you are pirating the game. Period.

allen wrote:Besides, it has the potential to bring new customers to them. Awhile back I let a friend borrow Half-Life 2 (my steam account) and when Half Life 2 episode 2 came out he even pre-ordered it (orange box) because he enjoyed the first one so much. He wouldn't have tried the original without my recommendation.

I could argue that counterfeit Nike shoes have the potential to increase Nike sales, because people will want better quality, or will see the Nike swoosh on the shoe, and want real Nikes. This does not change the fact that it is illegal to sell a shoe with a Nike swoosh on it if you are not Nike. If you have a problem with trademark and copyright law, I would suggest that you converse with your representatives in government about it and get the laws changed.

allen wrote:Besides I would be more worried about bit torrent than this. I just checked for the sake of argument and there are (on a very popular torrent site) two torrents for Multiwinia, seven for Darwinia, five for Defcon (a couple claiming cracked?) and I don't even feel like counting all the ones for Uplink (at the very least 25-30).

There are many Darwinia torrents out there, and they are a problem, though it should be noted that most of them are poison torrents, in that they basically contain just a demo. Defcon doesn't work multiplayer without the metaserver, so a crack really cannot exist, unless someone has set up a pirate server somewhere. Same thing with Multiwinia -- it needs the metaserver. The Defcon and Multiwinia torrents are just the demo version -- you need a key to play (hence you are buying a key from IV, not the executable). And yes, Uplink has been massively pirated.

However, this is irrelevant. Shoplifting is wrong, even if it is not as bad as armed robbery. It is inappropriate to come onto these forums and tell everyone that you pirated Darwinia for a friend. As I said above, that does not seem to be what the original poster did (though if his friend does not buy the game or uninstall it before he returns the disk, that will be exactly what the original poster has done). That doesn't change the fact that giving a friend a copy of a game is piracy. Period.

allen wrote:But, to be a hypocrite, you should have gave him a link to the demo.

Or burned a copy of the demo and given it to him. That would have been fine, too.

allen wrote:ok, on topic:
I tried to get one of my friends onto Darwinia and Multiwinia, I showed him the game at my house. He said the graphics looked like crap and something about it being nerdy. It's ok all he plays is Gears of War and Halo 3. Oh well I tried.

I bought a copy of Darwinia for my brother, and have given away copies of Defcon and Multiwinia as parts of competitions -- all paid for. ;)

xander
User avatar
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Postby Pyr0qvy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:34 am

OFF TOPIC!!!

and I made no money from this and my friend has no internet connection on his computer, or even at his house.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16867
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Riverside, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:28 am

Pyr0qvy wrote:and I made no money from this and my friend has no internet connection on his computer, or even at his house.

Both of these are irrelevant.

xander
User avatar
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Postby Pyr0qvy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:25 pm

xander wrote:
Pyr0qvy wrote:and I made no money from this and my friend has no internet connection on his computer, or even at his house.

Both of these are irrelevant.

xander


and so is nearly everything you have posted on this thread! STAY ON TOPIC!
User avatar
KingAl
level5
level5
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:42 am

Postby KingAl » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:58 pm

Uh, what? The issues xander raised are particularly relevant the topic of this thread. He may not have been answering your initial question, but I'm afraid you don't get to direct conversation with an iron fist. It's great that you're spreading the word, and this isn't a witch hunt, but it's a good idea to let people know about Darwinia in some way which isn't effectively piracy or likely to lead to that end -- show them demo2, for example. No-one thinks you've done anything in bad faith.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16867
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Riverside, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:54 pm

Pyr0qvy wrote:and so is nearly everything you have posted on this thread! STAY ON TOPIC!

No, it isn't. You came in here and bragged about how you had allowed your friend to pirate a copy of the game from you. Now, it turns out that you may not have actually done anything wrong (as you claim to have uninstalled it from your own machine, thus you were giving away the game, rather than just a copy of it), and no one thinks that you were intentionally out to screw IV, but the fact remains that it sounded like you pirated the game. People here (like me) take intellectual property rights (i.e. copyright and EULA's) fairly seriously. IV make their money off of the games that they sell -- if people pirate their games, then they don't make money. Maybe you get this, maybe you don't. I don't care -- you are still trying to justify piracy on a small scale in the abstract, in that "you aren't making money off of it," or "there are other people doing worse things."

Either accept that copying a game for a friend is piracy, or be prepared to keep having this conversation.

xander
User avatar
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Postby Pyr0qvy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:24 am

sorry, i was tired and a little jumpy.

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest