How To Play Prologue With Linux/Mac Version -SPOILER?-

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

00Davo
level2
level2

How To Play Prologue With Linux/Mac Version -SPOILER?-

Postby 00Davo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:06 pm

Got Darwinia a couple of days ago. It's awesome, although I must really suck at games, because I couldn't complete it. (I just managed to beat the Yard, but only just.) I accidentally learned of Darwinia's mod capabilities, and, uh... kinda... cheated... Sorry. EDIT: I've finished it properly now. Stop scowling at me.

I quickly discovered these forums, of course. (By the way, your captcha is REALLY HARD! It took me three tries! :evil: ) So I read the forums a lot, and discovered the latest patch had a button to "Play Prologue". I immediately attempted to get the patch, and play the so-called Prologue, but discovered it was Windows-only. So what could I, stuck with the Linux version, do to play it?

What you need to do is get the patch.dat file included in the latest patch. Because I'm insane, I made a VM of Windows, installed DirectX into it, installed the Windows version of Darwinia and then used the patch on it. (There must be a simpler way to extract it!) After all this work, patch.dat can be found in C:/Program Files/Darwinia. DO NOT try to copy patch.dat into your normal game. Instead, open it (it's a .rar), and extract the contents of its data directory into a folder; call it Prologue_Mod. Then, simply drop Prologue_Mod into your mods directory. Just load this mod, and open the Launchpad level! Shazam! The Prologue is available, on any OS!

Am I allowed to just upload patch.dat here, to save people the trouble???

After all this, I realised that I could just play the demo instead. :lol: Oh well. I guess it's better doing all that work because... um....
Last edited by 00Davo on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:11 pm

http://yozh.org/misc/darwinia/demo2.zip

This is demo2 (the prologue) in mod form. Unpack it, drop it in your mod folder, and you are good to go.

xander
00Davo
level2
level2

Postby 00Davo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:51 am

xander wrote:http://yozh.org/misc/darwinia/demo2.zip

This is demo2 (the prologue) in mod form. Unpack it, drop it in your mod folder, and you are good to go.

xander

That's precisely what all the steps I just listed give you. Your way is certainly easier.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:04 am

00Davo wrote:
xander wrote:http://yozh.org/misc/darwinia/demo2.zip

xander

That's precisely what all the steps I just listed give you. Your way is certainly easier.

Indeed, but mine has been up for more than a year. ;) I think that TGF also has a version on crapmods that has been up even longer.

xander
Greendingbat
level1
level1

Postby Greendingbat » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:04 pm

lol, you tried to run darwinia in a VM of windows on a linux system? :D
What was your framerate? :shock:
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
00Davo
level2
level2

Postby 00Davo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:44 am

Greendingbat wrote:lol, you tried to run darwinia in a VM of windows on a linux system? :D
What was your framerate? :shock:

I never actually ran the game. I just wanted to get patch.dat out.

Return to “General”