Buying Darwinia on Steam but wanting to play Linux version?

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

stoneysilence
level0

Buying Darwinia on Steam but wanting to play Linux version?

Postby stoneysilence » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:15 pm

Is it possible to buy the Steam version of Darwinia and find out my "key" in order to unlock the Linux version? I love Steam and would prefer to buy it on Steam however being that there is a Linux version of the game I would like to keep the option of being able to play that version if I wanted since I like to dabble in Linux.

If this has been asked before, I am sorry. I did a search and didn't find anything similar.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:27 pm

As Darwinia has no keys, this is not possible, no. However, you can simply copy the Darwinia executables from your Steam directory, and play without Steam. There is no copy protection.

xander
stoneysilence
level0

Postby stoneysilence » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:54 pm

xander wrote:As Darwinia has no keys, this is not possible, no. However, you can simply copy the Darwinia executables from your Steam directory, and play without Steam. There is no copy protection.

xander

How would that allow me to play on Linux? I assume it wouldn't since Linux doesn't use executables quite like Windows does. So I would assume if I bought it direct from Introversion then I would get both Linux and Windows versions?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:43 pm

stoneysilence wrote:
xander wrote:As Darwinia has no keys, this is not possible, no. However, you can simply copy the Darwinia executables from your Steam directory, and play without Steam. There is no copy protection.

xander

How would that allow me to play on Linux? I assume it wouldn't since Linux doesn't use executables quite like Windows does. So I would assume if I bought it direct from Introversion then I would get both Linux and Windows versions?

I honestly am not certain about the legality of copying the files around. Yes, there is no copy protection, but that doesn't mean that you don't have some kind of EULA with Valve/Steam (being a Mac user, I don't use Steam). Thus, while I am perfectly happy to tell you that there is a method, I'm not going to tell you what the method is. If someone else who is either more clear on the legalities and/or less clear on ethics decides to post below, more power to them. That being said, you might think about how Linux users normally install Darwinia.

xander
Dover
level1
level1

Postby Dover » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:21 pm

stoneysilence wrote:How would that allow me to play on Linux? I assume it wouldn't since Linux doesn't use executables quite like Windows does. So I would assume if I bought it direct from Introversion then I would get both Linux and Windows versions?

i guess WINE could do the trick? if the PC is not too aged, playable framerates should be possible i guess. at least i know some ppl who play WoW on linux/WINE. but i would look for ppl who have tested this already, since WINE is not always compatible as i heard. i'm not a linux- geek though, like xander i'm coming from the mac- edge.

Return to “General”