Which version is best?!

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

Denalin
level0

Which version is best?!

Postby Denalin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:30 am

Hey, I've got a quick question.
I have Windows Vista on a rather good PC. I frequently use Steam, but recently learned that there's a special Vista edition of the game. Anyway, which version should I get?
Thanks in advance.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:55 am

The Vista patch adds some features, and includes a small mod, but is otherwise pretty much the same. Why not try them both, and see what you like?

xander
Denalin
level0

Postby Denalin » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:24 am

xander wrote:The Vista patch adds some features, and includes a small mod, but is otherwise pretty much the same. Why not try them both, and see what you like?

Well, is one version better for modding or something? And if the Vista patch for Steam adds the same functionality as the Vista version, is there any difference between them?
Does the Vista version have maps that the Steam version does not?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:27 am

Denalin wrote:
xander wrote:The Vista patch adds some features, and includes a small mod, but is otherwise pretty much the same. Why not try them both, and see what you like?

Well, is one version better for modding or something? And if the Vista patch for Steam adds the same functionality as the Vista version, is there any difference between them?
Does the Vista version have maps that the Steam version does not?

What you really seem to be asking is: should I buy the game through Steam, or IV? The game is identical, whichever way to do it, though I do not think that Steam automatically (or even manually) applies the latest patch, which is the Vista version. However, you can install it yourself, by moving the Darwinia executable and associated resources out of your Steam directory, and installing the Vista patch in that directory. In either event, it doesn't matter who you buy the game from, in terms of content, as it is the same game, either way.

So, as I said before, download Darwinia, download the Vista patch, and see what works for you.

xander
Denalin
level0

Postby Denalin » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:49 am

Okay, I don't want to sound like an idiot. But is there a difference between this version:
http://zone.msn.com/en/root/deluxe.htm? ... -112235793
and this version:
http://store.introversion.co.uk/product ... ucts_id=52
Even if you add the Vista patch to the second one, the first one still says it's an MSN Vista Exclusive, with bonus maps...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:45 pm

Yes, there is a difference. It is the difference that I highlighted above. One includes the newest Vista patch, while the other does not. You could buy direct from IV, and install the Vista patch, and they would be identical.

xander
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:49 pm

I haven't checked, but I thought the Steam version was the latest? I vaguely remember Steam getting a patch before the normal IV buyers.

Also, does the latest patch come with the levels? I'm still running the latest one given out in the beta. :oops:

Just checked, the latest Steam patch was released on April 30, 2007. (After the Vista version was released)

Edit: And

frenchfrog wrote:True, but the Steam version is at 1.5.10 and run on XP Wink
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:24 pm

I'm really not sure what anyone is going on about.

Currently, ALL versions of Darwinia which run on the windows are in the 1.5.X range.

Apparently due to deals with MS, 1.5.X was released as being vista only for a significant period of time, and remains unique in it's packaging.

At a later date, the 1.5.X binary was released as a standalone patch and as a patch across steam.

The "Vista" release of the game, which AFAIK is only available through MSN games, has some fancy extra stuff, but the only one of note is Perdition, which is not included in either of the alternatives (Nor is it available for download on eg TheNextGame, and I'm fairly confident that if weren't otherwise agreed upon that Icepick would probably put his own mod on his own webpage.)

The only way to get Perdition is, it seems, to purchase the fancy MSN Vista version. Otherwise, they are all basically the same.

Perdition is not particularly canonical and is pretty much just a mod showing off some 1.5.x game changes - I wouldn't go crazy over making sure you get it.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
smull
level1
level1

Postby smull » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:12 pm

One problem i had. I bought Darwinia from eBay, boxed copy, and patched it to to 1.42 (or it was already that version can't remember). It plays fine. When i installed the Vista patch however, the game changed to demo version, asking me to buy the full version. It had the new graphical effects, but it was reverted to a demo. Any way around this?
NeatNit
level5
level5

ebay?

Postby NeatNit » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:33 pm

i'm really not sure if what i'm saying is true, but why did you buy it from ebay? I mean.. why not from IV? and I don't know how to help you, did you try reinstalling or something?

and don't tell me this is a bump because of two reasons:
1. it was in the top 3 in the page! (this forum is totally dead...)
2. the guy needs help, and people always say that if the guy already got an answer and didn't post anymore, then you shouldn't post. this isn't the case here.

Return to “General”