Buy for Mac and PC?

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

revcompgeek+
level1
level1

Buy for Mac and PC?

Postby revcompgeek+ » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:00 am

I would like to buy Darwinia, but I want to play it on my Mac as well as my PC. If I were to buy the Windows version, could I copy the data files to the mac demo? Or what would I have to do?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:13 am

Legally, if you buy the Mac version, you can only play the Mac version; and if you buy the Win/Linux version, then you can only play the Win/Linux version. If there are ways of buying the Mac version, and getting it to run under Windows, I'm not going to explain them, and I think it is unlikely that anyone else here will, either.

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:27 am

There is no way to get the win32 version to function on mac due to the way Ambrosia etc do their stuff - with online key sharewarey type stuff, as this doesn't exist for win32/*nix.

It is however technically possible to convert the mac version of the game to function on win32 and linux.

Buy the mac version, it is possible to go away from that. However I'm unsure and it's likely that you don't technically have lincence to relocate from mac to win32/linux or vice versa because of the conversion issues involved when they were coded/licenced, but I can't see how anyone could ever reasonably argue that you should buy the game twice without soundling like an ass.

If you really want to play by the books, I'd buy the win32/linux version, because unless your mac is very swanky, you're basically opting for the worst performance and longest delay in patches by opting for the mac version of the game. The best OS for Darwinia performance is, apparently, Linux (by a notable margin, again apparently)
revcompgeek+
level1
level1

Postby revcompgeek+ » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:33 pm

Ok, would the linux version work on PowerPC? I am about to install Ubuntu, (not just for this, I have been meaning to do this for weeks), and I was hoping that I could play it. But I remember somewhere that even on the same linux distro, the programs have to be recompiled for the other systems.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:52 pm

Ah, yeah, I should have been clearer; your concerns are valid I'm afraid and the nix version is only for your standard X86 Intel/AMD cpu and doubtlessly wouldn't work on PPC.

It would be interesting to see how Win32, Linux and OS X stack up against each other on eg an intel mac.

Return to “General”