DMA Crew

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Look in sounds.dat. If you arrange the files from largest to smallest, the music files, which are generally longer and larger than the other sound files, should appear first. "pang.ogg" is the music from the DMA-Crew bootloader.

xander
SamHenderson
level0

Postby SamHenderson » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Look in sounds.dat. If you arrange the files from largest to smallest, the music files, which are generally longer and larger than the other sound files, should appear first. "pang.ogg" is the music from the DMA-Crew bootloader.

Fantastic. Thanks very much xander!
Derekristow
level1
level1

Postby Derekristow » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:13 am

All sounds are in sounds.dat. You can identify the songs because they are pretty much the only big files.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:58 am

Derekristow wrote:All sounds are in sounds.dat. You can identify the songs because they are pretty much the only big files.

You got ninja'd... like five hours before you posted. :P

xander
Derekristow
level1
level1

Postby Derekristow » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:24 am

Sorry, somehow I missed page 2.

I can't believe that the people at Valve would think they had been hacked, then didn't check to see if the game worked
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:45 am

Derekristow wrote:Sorry, somehow I missed page 2.

I can't believe that the people at Valve would think they had been hacked, then didn't check to see if the game worked

Well it wouldnt be the first time, they got hacked big time and source code for HL2 was stolen, and leaked versions of unfinished HL2 hit the internet months before HL2's release.

I imagin they got a tad scared seeing the DMA message.
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:50 am

Source code leak!
Half-Life 2 was merely a rumor until a strong impression at E3 in May 2003 launched it into high levels of hype, where it won several awards for best in show. It had a release date of September 2003, but was delayed. This pushing back of HL2’s release date came in the wake of the cracking of Valve's internal network, through a null session connection to Tangis which was hosted in Valve's network and a subsequent upload of an ASP shell, resulting in the leak of the game's source code in early September 2003. On October 2, 2003, Valve CEO Gabe Newell publicly explained in the HalfLife2.net forums the events that Valve experienced around the time of the leak, and requested users to track down the perpetrators if possible.

In June 2004, Valve Software announced in a press release that the FBI had arrested several people suspected of involvement in the source code leak. Valve claimed the game had been leaked by a German black-hat hacker named Axel Gembe. Gembe later contacted Newell through e-mail (also providing an unreleased document planning the E3 events). Gembe was led into believing that Valve wanted to employ him as an in-house security auditor. He was to be offered a flight to the USA and was to be arrested on arrival by the FBI. When the German government became aware of the plan, Gembe was arrested in Germany instead, and put on trial for the leak as well as other computer crimes in November 2006, such as the creation of Agobot, a highly successful trojan which harvested users' data.

At the trial in November 2006 in Germany, Gembe was sentenced to two years' probation. In imposing the sentence, the judge took into account such factors as Gembe's difficult childhood and the fact that he was taking steps to improve his situation

LINK
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:07 am

The edit button: Image

Know it. Love it. Use it.

xander
SamHenderson
level0

Postby SamHenderson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Didn't Gembe also tell people (as he was leaking the source) that he was leaking it because Valve deliberately lied about the release date and their current progress about how close the game was to completion?

I could've sworn I remember a quote attributed to him along the lines of 'Maybe next time they won't lie to their fans about release dates...'

I could be wrong though.
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Well Valve did say that he stole an old backup that was months old, who knows if that was the truth or not!? Still very funny to see how jumpy Valve is after the whole situation.

Return to “General”