Steam vs. Introversion vs. Retail/Other

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

chalz.r
level0

Steam vs. Introversion vs. Retail/Other

Postby chalz.r » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:14 am

If anyone can aid me, I would appreciate any information. Essentially, here's my question:

What differences, if any, are there between the versions of Darwinia available from Steam, from Introversion, or from a retailer or other online source of a physical copy?

More details to that question:

Are there any pros or cons to either?

Do I need to have Steam installed, running, and connected to the Internet to play the downloaded version of Darwinia?

Are there any patches, mods or game-play options available only to Steam users?

Is the "Cinemaware" version of Darwinia I'm seeing on places like circuitcity.com compatible with all patches and mods?

Again, I thank you all for any information.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Steam vs. Introversion vs. Retail/Other

Postby xander » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:24 am

chalz.r wrote:If anyone can aid me, I would appreciate any information. Essentially, here's my question:

What differences, if any, are there between the versions of Darwinia available from Steam, from Introversion, or from a retailer or other online source of a physical copy?

They are all essentially the same. The Cinemaware Marquee version plays a little .avi before the game starts. Other than that, I don't think there is any difference. In fact, I know that many people have copied their Darwinia files from their Steam directories to another directory, and run Darwinia from there.

chalz.r wrote:More details to that question:

Are there any pros or cons to either?

The Cinemaware Marquee version has a .avi that is bigger than the rest of the installation, so that might be considered a con (though the whole thing still weighs in at less than 100 MB, I think), and the Steam version requires Steam. The Cinemaware Marquee and IV versions don't automatically update. Other than that, I don't think it makes any difference.

chalz.r wrote:Do I need to have Steam installed, running, and connected to the Internet to play the downloaded version of Darwinia?

In theory, Steam needs to be running and installed for the Steam version of Darwinia to work. It does not need to be connected to the internet. However, as I said above, there are ways around this.

chalz.r wrote:Are there any patches, mods or game-play options available only to Steam users?

Nope. Not that I know of.

chalz.r wrote:Is the "Cinemaware" version of Darwinia I'm seeing on places like circuitcity.com compatible with all patches and mods?

Yes.

chalz.r wrote:Again, I thank you all for any information.

No problem.

xander

Return to “General”