Absolutely "wow".

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

SeffRaiku
level0

Absolutely "wow".

Postby SeffRaiku » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:02 pm

I really wanted to put this out there amidst the apparent numerous requests/discussions/problems that people are putting up to show how literally amazing your creation has been to me.
------------

There have been few video games released during my existence that have been so incredibly amazing, with unbelievable visuals and entrancing music that fits the situation perfectly.

To me, Darwinia is one of these games.

Surprisingly, I have not played the full game (yet!). I have only played the demo. Here are my thoughts:

The only word I can think of to describe the game itself is "wow". I'll be honest -- the gameplay seems like a breath of fresh air with all the RTS games clogging the market. Sure, the visuals aren't what you'd expect, but still, they left me stunned.

Now, many of us know that games are growing, evolving, almost as the Darwinia do. Games are becoming more like movies, and the cutscenes in this game did not disappoint.

Basically, I wanted to say this: Being a man, I almost never cry (come on, do any of us men cry? :D ). The first time I ever cried over a game was when I watched the ending to Kingdom Hearts. I know, it sounds strange to hear someone cry over a video game that seemed to be aimed towards the youth. But, I'll admit it. I wept like a baby over the ending.

When I started up the Darwinia Demo, I thought, "Hm, this game looks neat." Then the red Darwinia started attacking. Thinking the little darwinians were kinda cute, it made me angry to see them being killed. Their little cries actually had some impact on me. Then when I was finally able to retaliate, it felt so good that I had to release a laugh of victory when the red Darwinians were finally all destroyed.

And then the rocket launch came. I didn't check, but whoever wrote the music for the demo, you have my complete and entire adoration. The angelic chorus during the rocket launch made me feel like something so amazing, so awe-inspiring, had been achieved that I bawled for the second time in my video gaming career. The first time was from sorrow. This time, it was from an extremely good feeling, a feeling of achievement. Even as I type this, I can't keep my lips from quivering from the feeling that I actually did something good for someone.

I still can't entirely describe why the rocket launch cutscene hit home so hard. It was just literally and simply... amazing.

I know, I sound like a total pansy. But I had to say something. If I never did, I would probably burst from the extremely good feeling inside.

Introversion, you are like a video game God. I would literally die for you right now. You are my hero.

Thank you so much for bringing Darwinia into the world!!!!!
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:43 pm

*backs away slowly, tosses a bag of decaf coffee at SeffRaiku*

Welcome to the boards. Your enthusiasm is... remarkable. :D
SeffRaiku
level0

Postby SeffRaiku » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:23 am

Haha. I'll be blunt, I'm usually not like that.

I just enjoyed the demo a lot. ^.^

(*I knew someone would be freaked out by the superhugedramatic post... I need to stop doing those* :oops: )

By the way, I H8 COFFEE! :evil:
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:13 am

Freaked out? I'd say I was simply amused. Takes a lot more than grown men weeping over video games to freak me out, trust me. :D
Leonaken
level3
level3

Postby Leonaken » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:57 am

The full game is hella awesome, buy it over Steam.

And then after that, it may feel refreshing to nuke the world into the stone age in DEFCON. I mean, you need times of manical laughter just as much as you need emotional scenes.

BTW Darwinia is $20. It's worth more than the pricetag, trust me (especially with a multiplayer version in the works).
Ishkabo
level1
level1

Postby Ishkabo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:50 am

I actually was emotionally moved also when I played the demo.

The full game did not disappoint.
mercierdaniel
level0

Postby mercierdaniel » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:05 pm

Enough of that, pansy wimpy Sir Peter Pan! I don't see anything in / about Darwinia that would be, as you say, soooo AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFULLY DONE! [sig: Pinocchio, Long Nose Version...]

Well.. seriously, as my first post here, let me just add this firm, unwavering « W-O-W-!-!-! » Darwinia is pure genius. Introvision should simply give up right now, 'cause its guys will never be able to match their own creation any time soon (now dowloading Defcon).

By the way, shortly after a 2-days-lost-in-a-lifetime preview via full torrent download, I rushed to the store in order to purchase 2 boxed copies of the said game (one which I intend to keep safely sealed and hidden among my most precious gems).

Wow!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:44 pm

mercierdaniel wrote:Enough of that, pansy wimpy Sir Peter Pan! I don't see anything in / about Darwinia that would be, as you say, soooo AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFULLY DONE! [sig: Pinocchio, Long Nose Version...]

Well.. seriously, as my first post here, let me just add this firm, unwavering « W-O-W-!-!-! » Darwinia is pure genius. Introvision should simply give up right now, 'cause its guys will never be able to match their own creation any time soon (now dowloading Defcon).

By the way, shortly after a 2-days-lost-in-a-lifetime preview via full torrent download, I rushed to the store in order to purchase 2 boxed copies of the said game (one which I intend to keep safely sealed and hidden among my most precious gems).

Wow!

While I am saddend that you found a non-poisoned torrent, it gladdens my heart to hear that you finally came around and paid for the game. Yippie!

Now, go play some mods :P

xander
mxlm
level1
level1

Postby mxlm » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:03 pm

I, too, find that the demo evokes an emotional response in me.

Unfortunately, as it crashes every time I try to run it, the emotion evoked is irritation.

:P
Rebeldevil
level0

Postby Rebeldevil » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:31 am

I love this game. I stink at it, but fortunately for people like me you can stink at it and still bludgeon your way through with brute force (it just takes a lot longer)
IRONCLADSHADE
level1
level1

Postby IRONCLADSHADE » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:02 am

Rebeldevil wrote:I love this game. I stink at it, but fortunately for people like me you can stink at it and still bludgeon your way through with brute force (it just takes a lot longer)

im working on a level like that, its an all out offensive between a centipede and darwinians. its supposed to be a secondary objective to get special research. i haven't had enough spare time to fully test it. its taken over an hour so far
your ad here for only 19.99 a month(some restrictions may apply(i.e. this is completely fake)
waffleicious
level0

Music

Postby waffleicious » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:45 am

You said that you really enjoyed the music so I figured I would tell you who it was. The ending song from the demo is by Trash80 and is called Pain Fade Down. Other songs from the soundtrack are DMA-SC's Visitors From Dreams and Trash80/Tresk's Excuses, Faces of a Fashion, Impact of Silence, and Schroeders Failure. (FYI: Trash80 and Tresk are one in the same) You can buy all of the songs in the cd (Darwinia : Listen To Us) for £5.00 but all your paying for is the awesome artwork since Trash80 and DMA-SC have all of these songs for free on their sites.
As for the other person who torrented it, SHAME ON YOU! I did too after I bought the game from Amazon and it wasn't shipping fast enough. By the time the game arrived, I was half-way through it :-p
[br]
Image I'm working on a Darwinia banner and will have it done soon.
Rock
level2
level2

Postby Rock » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:40 am

Don't worry, you're not the only IV fanatic here.

Also I would have to agree. Updef- er, Darwinia is a truly awesome game. Awesome retro-graphics, great music, explosions, this game has it all.

Introversion, FTW.

~Rock

(First post in the Darwinia board, yay)
Atomos
level1
level1

Postby Atomos » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:33 pm

Probably a little late, but I too wanted to say how impressed I am by Darwinia. I've read about it in an article about Defcon. While I'm not interested in Defcon the idea behind Darwinia fascinated me immediately. My first impression was Darwinia is Tierra further developed.

I'm not a game person, the last game I played completely was Loom. Normally I do enjoy programming (starting with the ZX81, then C64, nowadays the PC) but now I'm fully addicted to Darwinia, probably because it looks a lot like the C64 and old PC games. I've just finished the last level and now I'm eager to try out the mods, possibly creating one myself.

The few questions arising through the game I found answered already in this friendly forum, so there was no need to ask something.

Because I like the Darwinian as symbol I've just made one as key fob (about 6 cm tall):

Thanks to the Introversion team for this great game.

Thank you for your attention to my babble and your patience with my probably not so good English. See you - hopefully - in a multiplayer version of Darwinia.

Thomas
Krell
level2
level2

Postby Krell » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:18 pm

First off, Thomas, your english is actually quite good. Secondly, I must agree. Darwinia is great...then again so are Uplink and Defcon, lol.

I finished Containment the other day, and then those cutscenes started for the mine and generator, showing the Virus everywhere on the map, with the music going....I really started to feel something for the Darwinians, how their homeland has been taken over by the Viruses and they're facing extinction.

Cheers to IV on a great game which I FINALLY bought, lol.
InterNIC: Created to save agents everywhere

Return to “General”