how can i convince my friends to try out darwinia?

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

TheShifter
level1
level1

how can i convince my friends to try out darwinia?

Postby TheShifter » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:53 am

i was finally convinced to try out the new demo by pcg about a month ago and i am so sad that i didnt try out the game earlier. however whenever i show my friends screenshots that i am sure will convince them to try out darwinia they dismiss it. they say the graphics are appaling and "why dont you play a real rts like dawn of war". it is really annoying that they are all graphics obsessed fools. has anyone had any luck convincing friends to try it out? what tactic did you use?

tom
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:17 pm

Tell him it's not an RTS.
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:12 pm

it is really annoying that they are all graphics obsessed fools.

Oh, the shallowness of it all! :(

People who care only for graphics and nothing for gameplay are the reason why we have so many high-end CRAPPY games nowadays (*cough* World Of Warcraft *cough* Guild Wars *cough* Age Of Empires 3 *cough*) - *ahem* sorry, I am a little ill right now. ;)

I am 25 years old. Mom and Dad stuck an Atari paddle in my hands at 3 years old. I was a Pac-Man and Asteroids master by the time I was 5, and my love affair with video games has never, ever stopped.

You will find that young people are actually pressured by their friends to play games with "good graphics" (your friends already tried it on you; way to stick to your guns). And out of desire to be accepted by the group, they will avoid any game their friends have said sucks (based mainly on graphical merit). Young people are whom market research is based on, being the widest consumer group, and so what we wind up with are expensive, beautifully rendered graphical games, with little replayability. When they get bored, they buy the next crappy game, etc. It is a retailers market out there. :D

So if you want your friends to try Darwinia, try making some older friends, or find new friends who play RPGs - Roleplaying Games are generally less graphical and more playable (Diablo 2, for instance), mainly because they are geared toward an older (and more discerning) audience. Hell, try pushing the game to your parents and their friends - they definitely remember the days of Atari and Commodore 64, and a retro game like Darwinia may just pique their interest. My Dad has the demo on his computer now, and so does another of my older friends.

however whenever i show my friends screenshots that i am sure will convince them to try out darwinia they dismiss it.

Try showing them these, as a last ditch effort:

http://www.freewebs.com/n0ughtm1nuszer0 ... iaMenu.htm

Anyway, that is my rant for now :lol:
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Thing is it dosen't have to be exclusive, I own a copy of darwinia for the immense gameplay abnd a copy of half life two for the crappy-storyline-graphical-bloodbath.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:27 pm

martin wrote:Thing is it dosen't have to be exclusive, I own a copy of darwinia for the immense gameplay abnd a copy of half life two for the crappy-storyline-graphical-bloodbath.

And I own a copy of Shadow of the Colossus, which has all the best of both worlds :)

xander
TheShifter
level1
level1

Postby TheShifter » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:37 pm

thanks n0ught :) ive seen those pic but not shown them yet ;)

i cant show it to my parents because i was never even allowed a console because they are so anti-computer games :'(

i cant even order a copy untill after GCSE's because "i will get distracted from work" i have tryed all my mind power techniques ;) but a mothers will cannot be overcome :( i guess ill have to replay the demos over and over untill then, then being end of June!!! by which time ill also have missed out on the release of DEFCON. im very unhappy about this but there is not alot i can do unless my local game stores get in a copy that i can buy and install in secret. however, when asked they told me that the game didnt sell well enough to get more stock in. hopefully they will get DEFCON though. even if it is only 1 or 2 copies. i dont know if that post made any sense so ill sum.

i cant get darwinia for ages! - end of June. in the mean time ill be convincing my m8s to buy it and trying to get a copy without the parents involvment. hmmmmmmmm any ideas?

tom
cde
level2
level2

Postby cde » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:46 am

Might not be a popular line, but yes, focus on GCSEs...

...but as for getting friends into the game, why not play it when you know they are visiting, then say:

"I need to (put the kettle on/use the bathroom/learn to juggle) - can you just take out those red snakey things? Hold the right button to shoot..."
"...Left click when you're shooting to chuck a grenade..."
"...mind the spiders..."
"...oh and hit F1 to get get a new squad by that mast..."
"...and hit F2 to make a thing to turn those red dots into friendly green guys..."

Then leave them for 5 minutes, bring them a cup of tea/coffee, and they'll either say "thanks" without looking away from the screen, or they'll say "you died", or "here's your rubbish game back", or "man, I hate coffee, but it's better than that.

(You might even hear screams of joy or horror from another room.)

You can't force them to like it, but you can trick them into trying :)
TheShifter
level1
level1

Postby TheShifter » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:01 am

oooooo. that sounds sneaky. ill give it a go. :D

thanks

tom
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:08 pm

Sexual favors.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:05 pm

I just had my friends watch my bro play the demo, so im having them try the demo too. :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:21 pm

ScareyedHawk wrote:Sexual favors.

You know, ScaryedHawk, I have never played Darwinia before. In fact, I think that the graphics... suck. I was not... blown... away. Perhaps there is something that you could do to make me... come... to the conclusion that Darwinia is a good game?sorry, all, couldn't resist

xander
TheShifter
level1
level1

Postby TheShifter » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:05 pm

im gonna try the tactic 2day as i have a m8 coming round. wish me luck. i showed hiom the game yesterday an friends laptop that he brought to school and he said it was crap :( he also said that uplink was crap :0 apparently the fact that you dont need an internet connection makes it unrealistic and therefore crap.

i will force him to play them later on and he WILL enjoy them and then purchase them

tom
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:19 pm

TheShifter wrote:the fact that you dont need an internet connection makes it unrealistic and therefore crap.

Heheh.

I find Photoshop crap. I hate the way you don't need a paintbrush, paints in 24bit colour, pencils in 24bit colour, an eraser of infinite size...
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:37 pm

[quote=xander]
sorry, all, couldn't resist[/quote]Bogus you couldnt... and lets not talk about sickening things like that...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:40 pm

Major Cooke wrote:
xander wrote:sorry, all, couldn't resist
Bogus you couldnt... and lets not talk about sickening things like that...

Qua? Sickening? Please... there is far worse in Shakespeare, and if he can get away with it, then I certainly can.

xander

Return to “General”