Darwinia's birthday poll

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

Which genre is Darwinia to be placed in?

Strategy
40%
Puzzle
No votes
Third person shooter
4%
Arcade
No votes
RPG
No votes
Darwinia can't be placed in just one genre (and explain)
56%

Total votes: 25
jelco
level5
level5

Darwinia's birthday poll

Postby jelco » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:39 pm

Congratulations, Introversion, Dr Sepulveda and all Darwinians not yet killed by the virii...

Today it also was MY birthday. And to make things even worse, my school had open house today and I was one of the hardest working people out there. But I had a great time!

Now the poll:

What genre would you guys actually place Darwinia in? I know that many will have various answers, but then choose only your BEST answer.

PS: Maybe someone read a post where I told I found out Darwinia had been released ON my birthday 5 months later...
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:04 pm

I voted for "Darwinia can't be placed in just one genre". The reason for that is I don't think you can exaclty place Darwinia into one genre. Its a game that either creates its own genre, or spans across a few genre's.

Also, Happy 1st birthday Darwinia. I'm wearing my DRP shirt for the occasion. Plus I've also got a bottle of absinthe...

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:13 pm

Indeed, NeoThermic is correct. Darwinia draws from many genres, but does not fit snuggly into any of the pigeon holes. None of the above.

xander
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:06 pm

I choose strategy because I felt that it was almost entirely that. Most people now days think that the definition of a strategy game is "something that plays like starcraft/warcraft/aoe." Otherwise, it's something else. That sort of thinking really annoys me. :roll:

I find darwinia a strategy game since it has resource management and tactical decisions to acheive a goal(s). Hardly any of it was reflexes(just about every other genre) or logic(puzzles).
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:39 pm

I chose strategy, for the same reasons as daset.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:35 am

There is something that actually annoys me...

First, I ask you in the post, when you have multiple answers, to post the answer best fitting darwinia...

And second, I'M SURE I DIDN'T PUT IN THE LAST OPTION THERE!. I made the option "Other (please specify)".

Can I know who changed that? Not that it is a crime or something, but this might lead to some confusion...
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:47 pm

It was NeoThermic!

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:13 pm

xander wrote:It was NeoThermic!

xander

Thats liable!

Actually, as far as I'm aware, you can't edit a poll after it has been voted in. Not sure about admins, but then I've never really used/cared about putting polls in and editing them.

So in short, it wasn't me. It was there when I saw the topic.

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:30 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Thats liable!

Actually, as far as I'm aware, you can't edit a poll after it has been voted in. Not sure about admins, but then I've never really used/cared about putting polls in and editing them.

So in short, it wasn't me. It was there when I saw the topic.

NeoThermic

Liable for what? Perhaps you meant libel?

On another note, I, too, noticed that the poll changed. I saw it for the first time, and there was no "Darwinia can't be placed in just one genre". So, I didn't vote. I came back about 10 minutes later, after you posted, and the last option had been changed. As you were the only other person to have posted, and there were only a handful of people who had seen the topic yet, I assumed it was you that changed it. If it wasn't, nevermind. Must've been John. :)

xander
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:48 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Actually, as far as I'm aware, you can't edit a poll after it has been voted in. Not sure about admins, but then I've never really used/cared about putting polls in and editing them.

This isn't getting anywhere, but it doesn't really matter actually...
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
TheShifter
level1
level1

Postby TheShifter » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:25 am

i dont think it has a genre. although there is stratagy in it, that is not the only aspect, so i vote - it doesnt fit in a particualar genre

tom
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:32 pm

I vote its a puzzle game cos no-one else will, and i think "puzzle" will be sad to not get any votes.

Can i have a second vote ? If i can, i vote people just play the damn game, finish it, learn the modding system and release some fantastic mods.
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:21 pm

Darwinia combines retro-style arcade action with real-time strategy, and something along the lines of Lemmings, inside a fractally generated landscape.

Therefore, Darwinia is a world unto itself, and should qualify as a "Simulation" game (which should be one of the choices on the list). ;)

So based upon my choices, I am unable to vote. :lol:
cde
level2
level2

Postby cde » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:39 am

"Simulation" got me thinking, why wasn't God Sim/God Game on the list?

Look at things like Populous: The Beginning and Black & White, and you have some parallels. Not just strategy, but (as someone else mentioned) gathering & managing resources (research & souls), interactive battles, self-defending AI, many ways to "solve" each level...

Just because there aren't mud huts doesn't mean we aren't playing God :)

Return to “General”