Introversion; A very interesting company.

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

Puzzlemaker
level2
level2

Introversion; A very interesting company.

Postby Puzzlemaker » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:00 pm

When I first heard about Darwinia, I was a bit skeptical, of course. A company I have never heard of, and a game that has 2D figures running around.

Then I heard about a game the company made before; Uplink.

I thought I would give it a shot. So I downloaded the demo. I was surprised to see that there whern't any fancy graphics, yet it was still fun. So I bought darwinia, and loved it.

It surprised to me to find out that only a few people made the game, its not a very large company!

In the history section of your website, you said you had a few finacial difficulties; are those gone now that Darwinia has been released to Steam?

Is Defcon going to be availible on Steam, too?

And is the company going to expand, or just stay small? 'Cause I sure wouldn't mind working for Introversion. Your games are all so unique, its amazing.
Luigi300
level5
level5

Postby Luigi300 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:36 pm

They sold more copies of Darwinia over Steam in 24 hours than they did up to that point on their own, so... I suppose they've got money now.
Luigi for mod in 2006!
Phrage
level3
level3
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave

Postby Phrage » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:34 pm

woah, i knew steam had helped sales but not by that much! Now that IV is getting some notice and I expect DEFCON will sell well (appeals more to the general audience, killing millions of humans compared to killing snkaes made out of triangles). I just hope IV doesn't become the next EA chucking out Darwinia 13 thats now got a whole new level and enemy that is sppokily simliar to all the other enamies
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^
(delete as appropriate)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:53 pm

Phrage wrote:I just hope IV doesn't become the next EA chucking out Darwinia 13 thats now got a whole new level and enemy that is sppokily simliar to all the other enamies

Unlikely to every happen. It would go against their philosophy. Notice that they did not make Uplink II: Hacker Elite-er, or Darwinia II: The Wrath of Sepulveda.

xander
MrDictionary
level2
level2

Postby MrDictionary » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:45 am

'did not make'? This the game-over stats screen or something?
Unofficial official Introversion Devil's Advocate.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:51 am

MrDictionary wrote:'did not make'? This the game-over stats screen or something?

I suppose haven't yet made would have been more accurate, though I was trying to add some nuances of chronology. Rather than finishing Uplink and immediately creating Uplink II, they created Darwinia. Rather than following Darwinia with all new levels and a couple of new units, they created Defcon. I was less specific than I could have been, and you are being overly pedantic :)

xander
Funky Moped
level1
level1

Postby Funky Moped » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:33 pm

It's one of IV's founding principles.

Don't do sequels.
I love the smell of flame-bait in the morning...
Battlefrank
level2
level2

Postby Battlefrank » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:36 pm

thats right, dont do sequels kids, it could result in diarhea, extreme amounts of boredom,terrible reviews,and many other health risks!
TinFoil
level2
level2

Postby TinFoil » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:57 pm

Isn't DefCon Uplink's Global Thermonuclear War?

A suped up version, right? :?
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:58 pm

Battlefrank wrote:thats right, dont do sequels kids, it could result in diarhea, extreme amounts of boredom,terrible reviews,and many other health risks!

:lol: funny, but Half-Life2 was much better and made Valve a Ton more money than the first.

I would like to see an update fix for some of the buildings like the power plant, maybe even a few new ones for the Mod group.
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:10 pm

TinFoil wrote:Isn't DefCon Uplink's Global Thermonuclear War?

A suped up version, right? :?

No, it's Wargames' Global Thermonuclear War, which was referenced/parodied in Uplink as an easter egg. It's hardly a souped up version of the Uplink one, as that had essentially no gameplay elements in it at all.

Just getting history/details/stuff right, before the pedant squad appears :P
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:20 am

Lowell wrote:
Battlefrank wrote:thats right, dont do sequels kids, it could result in diarhea, extreme amounts of boredom,terrible reviews,and many other health risks!

:lol: funny, but Half-Life2 was much better and made Valve a Ton more money than the first.

I would like to see an update fix for some of the buildings like the power plant, maybe even a few new ones for the Mod group.

Yes, but that doesn't mean HL2 was any better. Despite the fact that many gamers did, it merely annoyed me at how predictable and unsurprising it was. Like all FPSs, it was a copy of the last, this with just more money piled into it.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:44 am

Given that FPSs are largely driven by the eye-candy a sequel makes perfect sense in that genre. Likewise RPGs can take advantage of evolving hardware to improve AI and graphics. However none of IV's games really push the limit technically, so sequels have little purpose. :)
Rampage Starfire
level1
level1
Location: Simultaneously existing in Canada and a much better place than this world

Postby Rampage Starfire » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:50 pm

daset wrote:
Yes, but that doesn't mean HL2 was any better. Despite the fact that many gamers did, it merely annoyed me at how predictable and unsurprising it was. Like all FPSs, it was a copy of the last, this with just more money piled into it.

I feel compelled to respond to the predictable and unsurprising comment: It is an unfortunate fact that the majority of people who buy video games and FPS's in particular, lack higher reasoning abilities so it can't be too brain cell intensive unless they wish to generate a large amount of bad press from all the mentally overloaded people who play it. If there was a reasoning test required before you were allowed to buy the game then it probablty would be far more inventive and challenging in a problem solving fashion, rather then just throwing loads of enemies against you and hope your twitch skills are up to par. but since that would reduce overall sales and the game wasn't intended to be a brain strain experience it becomes predictable for those of us who like to overanalyze things.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:03 pm

Stewsburntmonkey is right, they re-worked the graphics and made allot of fixs. Sort of like what Bill Gates did on Winn 98, sold you the half baked stuff then sold you the fix {98 second edition.} Ha Ha ... "just kidding Bill, there is a smart a** in every crowd, :lol: "

I was into other games when Half-Life was out, didn't get involved until version 2. Even then "most" of the Steam/Valve maps I am making are for Dystopia, only a couple for Half-Life2. Earth 2150 - Moon Project - Earth 2160 is the same, 2160 just came out, I think it is their best one yet. The AI was far better, now you have to have a strong machine to play it graphics card the lowest would be say e-GeForce 6800 or PCI X 7800, but some who have played the other versions said they didn't like this version and were very vocal about it. Us Moders were stunned. It takes a ton of headaches to get everything to work and then there is the artwork for the web sites, forums, marketing agents and the list of headaches goes on. But it can be the best of work and fun sometimes. Tomb Raider was like that, Resident Evil and so on...

Edit//Ha Ha Ha I like what Rampage Starfire says...that's why I don't place much value on those type games. I like to make their maps, sure..Ha Ha but the players can be lame, killing team mates acting stupid etc. Dystopia is different, it has mission goals and you have to go into HyperSpace and hack open security stuff to gain entry to areas...it is still a shooter but different.

Now nothing out there compairs to Darwinia. This was a great concept. I am sure their next games will be just as sucessfull...and the Mods have turned out to be great fun too...

Return to “General”