The spoken of, but legitimately never seen 'Dr. Chat'

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Rbp-7-Ooz
level1
level1

The spoken of, but legitimately never seen 'Dr. Chat'

Postby Rbp-7-Ooz » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:41 pm

So I purchased the full version having never even known about the 'seeded' alternative demo version where the good Doctor has a 'chat' with you about pirating the software.

So here is my question: How would a person who loves the game ever get to see that cut scene? Is there a transcript anywhere? I just want to see everything about the game. To me it's kind of like not being able to see all of the random load screens... I know I shouldn’t... but I feel a little cheated, but not, however, cheated enough to try to pirated it in order to get the scene. (There's a limit to my zeal)

I'd even take a transcript.

:wink:
Last edited by Rbp-7-Ooz on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:49 pm

You could try looking for the fake version on p2p networks. Or someone who is hosting it might be nice enough to give you the link.
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Rbp-7-Ooz
level1
level1

Postby Rbp-7-Ooz » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:52 pm

It has been years since I even looked at P2P, the first and last time was when WINMX first came out.

I woul dnot even know which to use or whiat to look for... but My guess is 'Pirated Darminia' would not cut the mustard.
Gremlin
level0

Postby Gremlin » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:58 pm

i think pirated 'stuff' isnt really using P2P ( Peer to Peer ) no more, i think its gone to torrents, but i aint going to say out else, as it aint allowed, but im sure the 'deleted scenes' ( is that what you call it? ) wouldnt be too hard to find
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:30 am

torrents are P2P
Finn
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:00 am

I have the english.txt file, but it's encrypted and none of the damn decrypter work on *nix.
And I can't be arsed to play through to it. Yet.
HL_Maniac
level1
level1

Postby HL_Maniac » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:55 am

I was thinking the same thing. When I heard about it, I thought it was the best anti-pirate method I've heard of, and just yet another little thing that makes this game so great.

I'd like to see it as well, without having to actually go and get the dodgy game.
Bas
level2
level2

Postby Bas » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:41 pm

Nice idea, but it'll just cause the released torrent (with the piracy bit) to be nuked, and nobody will download it anymore.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:35 am

Bas wrote:Nice idea, but it'll just cause the released torrent (with the piracy bit) to be nuked, and nobody will download it anymore.

Actually, it appears that the fake cracked Darwinia was quite sucessful. There are quite a few people that have posted here after getting the fake and buying the game. Sure, it is anecdotal evidence, but it looks good.

xander
da_zeg
level2
level2

Postby da_zeg » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:49 am

I can still imagine someone trying to crack it.
marcan
level1
level1

Postby marcan » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:42 pm

The full version does contain the chat - in the english.txt file. Grab language.dat, rename to language.rar, unrar it (with unrar, winrar, or whatever program you use), and search for "puritycontrol" in the english.txt file.
jaysc
level4
level4

Postby jaysc » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:50 pm

Yeah it does contain it.

================================================
# Purity Control
# ================================================

puritycontrol_1 Ok, it's time for us to come clean. We know you didn't actually pay for this game and that you downloaded it from the Internet instead.
puritycontrol_2 Fair enough, we're not going to judge you for that, and we know that it's not the same thing as actually stealing something from a shop.
puritycontrol_3 But this game was made by a tiny team of independent developers, who worked for 3 years to bring the game to completion.
puritycontrol_4 Introversion Software will not survive and we won't be able to make more games like Darwinia and Uplink if everybody pirates our games instead of buying them.
puritycontrol_5 If you've enjoyed playing the game so far, we'd like to request that you now visit our website and buy the full game.
puritycontrol_6 Thank you very much for playing Darwinia, and we really do hope that you choose to do the right thing.

Return to “General”