Game crashed when I fired a rocket...

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

GlasZwiebel
level1
level1

Game crashed when I fired a rocket...

Postby GlasZwiebel » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:41 am

So I finally got my Steam order working after a bit of talking with some customer support (they actually have it, I know, I was surprised too).

And was playing darwinia. Loving it. Got rocket upgrade. Went "woot!".

Fired a rocket. Game crashed. Said I was missing the file Boom1 or something like that.

Now, two things:

1) How do I fix that so it doesn't crash?
2) My progress was saved automatically, right? Right??
GlasZwiebel
level1
level1

Postby GlasZwiebel » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:49 am

Impressive. It does automatically save. In fact, it put me right back where I was before I had fired the rocket.

Not many games do that (or can do that).

Here's a picture of the bug. I replicated it (quite easily).

I may just be missing a sound file (I can't check, it's in a .dat file and I don't know how to extract those).

On a side note, after I tried to reload it after the initial bug, the game freaked out. It was crazy stuff. Red and yellow and white lines everywhere with high pitched screeching sounds emenating from my speakers. It reminded me of the old days with Win3.2 (or whatever it was at the time, the OS before Win95).
micks
level1
level1

Postby micks » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:02 am

Now that stuff's a bit older than any Windows, my friend :wink:
If we're referring to the same thing, that was the kind of sound/visual effects you got while loading a game from a tape recorder on Commodore 64 (like I did) or any similar 8-bit home computer. Those were the days...
GlasZwiebel
level1
level1

Postby GlasZwiebel » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:05 am

Never had a C64.

But now that you mention it, yes. Yes it did bring back not so fond memories of Atari.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:14 am

Valve left a bunch of sounds out of the dat file. God only knows how, but you can find a fix here - http://www.neothermic.com/darwinia/sounds.rar - courtesy of NeoThermic.
GlasZwiebel
level1
level1

Postby GlasZwiebel » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:17 am

Hurray. I can now go back to pulling an all nighter...

And I know how Valve forgot to put in the files, but I've already ragged on them enough in my few posts so I'll just say that they're forgetful.
GlasZwiebel
level1
level1

Postby GlasZwiebel » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:26 am

Ya know...something tells me that the 'blue and yellow and white line' thing wasn't a bug but intentional...

Considering I've seen three different introductions, and knowledge I've gained about the team liking to do random crap...something tells me had I just hit the Esc key I would have been alright and not had to Ctrl alt del out of it...

STOP MESSING WITH MY HEAD!
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:31 am

Thats one of their bootloaders, there are a few of them in the game, heh.
If you had left it running, you would have gotten an old school Darwinia title screen.
micks
level1
level1

Postby micks » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:31 am

clever boy :)
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:41 am

Actually this bug is our fault, not Valves. I mistakenly thought the sounds in question (rocket_boom1-4.ogg) were part of the Escape Rocket from the Demo, and concluded they weren't required in the full version. Which is why they aren't there.

This bug affects the Steam release only. I'll prepare a patch for the Valve guys ready for tonight. One very good thing about Steam is I know everyone who plays Darwinia over steam will automatically receive this patch as soon as its up. This would have been very handy in cases like Uplink, where we still get bug reports from people playing v1.0 from October 2001 that were fixed 2 weeks later in November 2001.

Sorry to the Steam users, these things happen :)
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:09 pm

That WOULD explain why main.dat in steam is a mess of the original main.dat, patch.dat and the demo2's main.dat. (edit - same goes for sounds.dat)

I would suggest you infact include all the escape rocket stuff, in both the final 1.4# patch and the steam version.

Note that you have left in all the fuel system sound effects and buildings and specifically removed the escape rocket.

You also have the demo2 radar dish in the steam version. This is different (it has a lower poly count dish) to the one everyone else has.

Sandbox is also empty now, and the mine demo mission has all the tuitorial cameras.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
ZaphodBeeble
level0

Postby ZaphodBeeble » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:28 pm

Well this is the quickest answer I've ever found for a game bug! Thanks guys, I'm gonna get back into the game right now!
Fgsfds
level0

Postby Fgsfds » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:41 pm

This bug could have been avoided by making the demo mission available in the full version as a bonus.

Chris wrote:This would have been very handy in cases like Uplink, where we still get bug reports from people playing v1.0 from October 2001 that were fixed 2 weeks later in November 2001.

I'd still like to one day see Uplink on steam, actually. Doubly so if Valve ever gets around to adding support for downloading mods and maps and such through steam, instead of leaving that up to systems like Vapour. :/
Quaunaut
level0

Postby Quaunaut » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:00 pm

Fgsfds wrote:This bug could have been avoided by making the demo mission available in the full version as a bonus.

Chris wrote:This would have been very handy in cases like Uplink, where we still get bug reports from people playing v1.0 from October 2001 that were fixed 2 weeks later in November 2001.

I'd still like to one day see Uplink on steam, actually. Doubly so if Valve ever gets around to adding support for downloading mods and maps and such through steam, instead of leaving that up to systems like Vapour. :/

Actually, if you go into your 'Games' view, then hit the extension thing to make it big 'n wide, go to 'Store', then 'All Games', you'll see that they list mods, as well.

Return to “General”