Words of Apology

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

User avatar
Dr4goN
level3
level3
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Words of Apology

Postby Dr4goN » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:14 am

Ok, here's my apology for being so annoying and for warezing Darwinia.
So, yesterday I had to reformat my PC due to extreme infection by Win32.Tenga.a. And I did it. ALL data has been lost. Along with Darwinia.. And, the most recent update on buying Darwinia: I don't want to buy it. Finished it, and I thought: too expensive game for our weak currency. But anyway, great job guys. Lookin' forward to your <third game>. Again,
SORRY FOR INCONVENIENCE.
I hope you will forgive me.
User avatar
xMs
level3
level3
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: London

Postby xMs » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:24 am

Too expensive? £20 too expensive?
andrewas
level4
level4
Posts: 621
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:57 pm
Location: Scotland

Postby andrewas » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:59 am

I'm a very forgiving person, but not when the person hasn't changed their ways. Apologies are cheap. Actions are what matter, and you still show no remorse for warezing Darwinia, still refuse to buy it legally, openly admit you have no intention to do so now or in the future, and still beg for our understanding. Well, you arent getting it form me.
aoanla
level1
level1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:27 am

Postby aoanla » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:02 pm

Also, regular backups avoid these problems. (It's not like 30Mb is hard to fit on even a business card CD...)
da_zeg
level2
level2
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: West Lothian, Scotland
Contact:

Postby da_zeg » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:04 pm

What's the betting he's already warzerised it again?

And, just when you thought he had gone away....


TIT.
OrR
level1
level1
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:06 am

Re: Words of Apology

Postby OrR » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:12 pm

Dr4goN wrote:Ok, here's my apology for being so annoying and for warezing Darwinia.
So, yesterday I had to reformat my PC due to extreme infection by Win32.Tenga.a. And I did it. ALL data has been lost. Along with Darwinia.. And, the most recent update on buying Darwinia: I don't want to buy it. Finished it, and I thought: too expensive game for our weak currency. But anyway, great job guys. Lookin' forward to your <third game>. Again,
SORRY FOR INCONVENIENCE.
I hope you will forgive me.

Nobody will forgive you if you don't buy the game.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5
Posts: 11553
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:44 pm
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:13 pm

I am just going to point out that this is not an apology.

This also demonstrates the stupidity of many pro-piracy people who say people are "just testing" the game and will buy it if they like it. In reality people rarely buy the games they pirate. Most games have limited replay potential and so pirates will play the game through and then simply discard it. They get all their enjoyment out of it without ever giving the developers who brought them that enjoyment a dime.
User avatar
xMs
level3
level3
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: London

Postby xMs » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:21 pm

Surly if he has admitted warezing it... then legal action can be taken?
User avatar
Dave2
level4
level4
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:07 pm
Location: Reading, England

Postby Dave2 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:16 pm

xms wrote:Surly if he has admitted warezing it... then legal action can be taken?

A few issues with that;
  1. The expense of finding out who the person actually is.
  2. The expense of actually suing him in Poland, and the question of whether the court system would even care enough (there appears to be a commercially sold completely illegal Polish translation of Uplink being sold in reputable stores in Poland).
  3. Actual proof that he has warezed it. Now, you don't need the same degree of proof as in, say, murder, but just someone saying they've warezed it isn't enough to convict. I could say "I warezed Kingpin", despite the fact that I didn't.
  4. The amount of time spent on this that could be spent doing more productive things like working on <the third game>.
aoanla
level1
level1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:27 am

Postby aoanla » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:21 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:I am just going to point out that this is not an apology.

This also demonstrates the stupidity of many pro-piracy people who say people are "just testing" the game and will buy it if they like it. In reality people rarely buy the games they pirate. Most games have limited replay potential and so pirates will play the game through and then simply discard it. They get all their enjoyment out of it without ever giving the developers who brought them that enjoyment a dime.


Actually, I admit to having warezed precisely one game, about five years ago. I did buy it later on, mostly because I felt the developers deserved money for it (I think it was one of the Civilisation games, if that helps...).

On the other hand, yes, I know far more people who just warez games and never bother to buy them. I only have any sympathy with them in two circumstances: if the game is very hard to find in the shops, and yet is still regarded as payware by its publisher; if the game is extremely derivative crap, in which case, arguably, it's not worth the money you'd have to pay for it. Of course, in the latter case I'd not want the game in the first place, but...
User avatar
xMs
level3
level3
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: London

Postby xMs » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:24 pm

But who is to decide if it is crap.
You might think Quake 3 is crap, therefore you warez it (is what your saying).
But to another person Quake 3 might be brilliant.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5
Posts: 11553
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:44 pm
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:29 pm

Well of course the problem is that if you think a game is crap why warez it? And if you do warez it why continue to play it after you have it? People tend to use this excuse when they have already played the game for hours, generally finishing it at least once. At that point most games (even good ones) will get old. Thus they are not saying the game is bad, but that they have gotten all they wanted out of the game. In this situation they have no argument for having warezed the game.
aoanla
level1
level1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:27 am

Postby aoanla » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:36 pm

xms wrote:But who is to decide if it is crap.
You might think Quake 3 is crap, therefore you warez it (is what your saying).
But to another person Quake 3 might be brilliant.


Yes. I'm not talking about subjective things like the latest semi-identical FPS from id.
I'm talking about "Ultimate Soccer Manager 2007 Plus" type games, where they're essentially identical to "USM2006" but with updated player names. In the case when you're essentially buying trivial content, I do have some sympathy for warezing games. Some, not complete, I note.

(In the other case of impossible to obtain games which are no longer published, yet are still regarded as payware, I have total sympathy...)
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5
Posts: 11553
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:44 pm
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:58 pm

If the game is simply a trivial update of a previous game why warez it?

In the US it is legal to download (or otherwise obtain) ROMs and the like, so in those cases it is not piracy. :)
User avatar
prophile
level5
level5
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
Contact:

Postby prophile » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:59 pm

^ what stews said ^

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests