Longevity of Darwinia

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Acolyte
level0

Longevity of Darwinia

Postby Acolyte » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:00 pm

I just discovered this game today, and what I've seen of the free-to-play part of the game looks good, a really fresh take on the RTS genre. But before I part with my $29, I'm wondering how much I'm going to get out of this game long-term, as there's apparently no multiplayer. Are there a lot of different things you can do once you've completed the basic game? Do the Darwinians really 'evolve' as the title suggests, making this into a Creatures-type game?
Rowedekhelicon
level1
level1

Postby Rowedekhelicon » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:17 pm

First of all don't even hesitate to put down $30 for this game. It'll be the best purchase you'll have made in a long time. Beyond that I can tell you that while the actual campaign isn't terribly long, it's a damn fine game and well worth the money on its own. What's more is that over the course of the game different aspects of your in-game presence improve. This includes all programs, weapons, and indeed the darwinians themselves. In this way you could say that the darwinians evolve, though it's not quite the type of evolution you suggest. When you've completed the campaign you'll want to play again and focus your research into different areas, explore different play styles, and refine your technique. I've played three times already and I see no stopping in sight. When you complete the game you are also given access to the campaign editor for all your modding pleasures. There are enough mods and missions floating around to keep you occupied for the next year. Part with your $30, my friend, and be proud to have spent it. 8)
Last edited by Rowedekhelicon on Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:35 pm

This is not a Creature-type game. The Darwinians don't really "evolve." They aquire weapons and become more powerful throughout the game, but they do not ever get, say, a new AI, or split into different species, or anything groovy like that. At its heart, Darwinia is really more of an RTS than anything else (though it borrows heavily from other genres). All of the possible research options are hardcoded -- it would be practically impossible to come up with a scenerio not intended by the creators of a given level.

That being said, Darwinia is a very enjoyable game in its own right. There are enough story elements, and unique mission objectives to be worth playing. If you enjoyed the demo, I think that you will enjoy the rest of the game.

xander
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:00 pm

plus if you want more single-player ness then there are plenty of excellent mods.

and multiplayer is planned to be released sometime in the future as a free addon :)
Finn

Return to “General”