Darwinia merchandising

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Would you buy Darwinia related memrobilia?

Yes [Don't care what it is, Darwinia is teh l33t]
88%
No [Don't care what it is, Darwinia sux/games cool but I dont buy games related gear]
13%

Total votes: 40
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:19 pm

ditto :P

edit: off topic, but in my experience the word 'ditto' ALWAYS appears on a new page :p
Finn
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:32 pm

How about animated holograms... like a spam cube, the soul repository, a squaddie, things like that...
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:44 pm

someones been reading martin's thread :p
Last edited by FinnG on Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finn
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:56 am

FinnG wrote:someones been reading martins thread :p

Which thread??
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:58 pm

Finn
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:09 pm

lol
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Dev
level1
level1

Postby Dev » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:39 am

Ahh James C lighting designs r t3h l33t haxxors. I wish i had the skills to come up with some of the stuff he does. Its pretty feking aw3sum
-------------------------------------------------------
Darwinia - Realtime Metaphysics Engine
Dev - Realtime Messmaking Engine
Devwinia - Realtime Physicsmessing engine
Dev
level1
level1

Postby Dev » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:04 pm

K guys, I think i have settled on a design concept for my project - To use an incubator as the lamp, have the thing gloe from the outside but also get some other game charcters in ther as well - it would be like some one "cut and pasted" a chunk out of the game landscape into the real wolrd.

Now I know for you modders there is a way to extract the 3D model files (i think you refer to them as shape files) so you can use them else where or whatever. What are shape files, how can i get them and what can I open them in. See - if I had the sahpe file for an incubator then I could say import it into 3DSmax and then do some jiggery pokery to it and export it into auto cad, then I can resize it and what not and creat a shematic and a layout so the thing can be build . Is this possuible or am i going to have to spend several house reverse engineering the incubator?

Let me know
Dev
Thanks

martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:17 pm

there is a shape file exporter from 3dsmax to shp files but for the other way...
:?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:22 pm

Well, there is a shapefile viewer that can be found here... again, that may not help that much.

Also, the 3d Studio MAX shape files can be found here.

Hope that helps.

xander
Dev
level1
level1

Postby Dev » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:22 am

//BUMP//

hey guys - im not dead or anything, ive just been beavering away in my secret underground lair. I now have 6 distinctive deisgn concepts > whence I have written them up i will post agin and show you whats going down.

Dev
level1
level1

yooohooo!

Postby Dev » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:54 pm

//bump bump//

hey guys!!! Im back - ive been on study break and stuff and then i was doing some research for my product development but i have returned with material for you as promised!

Please please goto http://devtech.zapto.org/upload/fb.zip and have a look at the PDF thats inside - its got some [bad] annotated sketches. Let me know what you think of them - say what you want, its all valid in one way or another.

Thanks

Btw hows everyone been while i was away?

xander
level5
level5

Re: yooohooo!

Postby xander » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:06 am

Dev wrote://bump bump//

You keep going "bump." You've been hiding under small childrens' beds at night, haven't you?

Dev wrote:hey guys!!! Im back - ive been on study break and stuff and then i was doing some research for my product development but i have returned with material for you as promised

Please please goto http://devtech.zapto.org/upload/fb.zip and have a look at the PDF thats inside - its got some [bad] annotated sketches. Let me know what you think of them - say what you want, its all valid in one way or another.

I really dig the incubator and the triffid. Is there any way that you could structure the triffid lamp to hinge (like standard desk lamps)? You could either have one hinge, or use flexible metal tubing (this for example). Also, it would be possible to put any color lightbulb in the triffid lamp, da? Red is neat, but is less than pragmatic for most purposes, and the triffid design strikes me as the most pragmatic of the designs (i.e. it looks most like a standard desk lamp, and could function as such, while the others seem more designed for SFX purposes, like a lava lamp). As I said, I really dig the first design, and the last design. The rest don't really do much for me.

Dev wrote:Thanks

No problem :)

Dev wrote:Btw hows everyone been while i was away?

You know, same old same old. Abusing prophile, speculating on <the next game>, avoiding moid. You were gone?

xander
Dev
level1
level1

Postby Dev » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:24 pm

ive been trapped under a bed! no really - ive been tuked away in my room which has become my study working on stuff for various deadlines and then i had a computer free week when it was study break. Now im back and back at it.
Doing a hinge on the triffid lamp would be quite easy - a simply boss-hinge in place of a solid welded joint. Gooseneck "flexible metal" is good however as it curves i dont think it would be appropraite to the style of darwinia - if you look there are no curved edges in the game (as far as i can see...). I did some fiddling round (i got some of the stuff from BnQ) and it notoriously hard to make it a)stay stright b) hold up anythign as elaborate as a triif head

Incdendly if it were done then a standard light fitting would be used... you could whack any bulb you want in there...

Did you have any thoughts on the incubator lamp and would it rain on your parade if it was a spawn point instead (they are easy to make)

Keep your thoughs coming people! :D

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:49 pm

Dev wrote:iDid you have any thoughts on the incubator lamp and would it rain on your parade if it was a spawn point instead (they are easy to make)

Er...
s/incubator/spawn point
I meant spawn point, but there was some kind of disconnect between my brain and my fingers. As to the triffid, I like the idea of a... boss-hinge... better than the goose neck thing. I was just throwing out ideas, as I am apt to do.

xander

Return to “General”