Darwinia In Stereovision

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

j250x
level0

Darwinia In Stereovision

Postby j250x » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:47 pm

I've got a kit from a company called E-Dimensional that lets you view games in 3D using these glasses that plug in between your monitor and your graphics card. They use nvidias stereo drivers, which creates the 3D out of any game or program that runs 3D graphics fullscreen. You put the glasses on and then when you look at the monitor its like looking through a window into the game. Pretty cool.

I don't know why, but it doesn't work on darwinia. 3D is enabled for all 3D programs, but it doesn't switch on when I load darwinia. Pity because I think it would rule in 3D. Anyone have any ideas why it doesnt work?
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:03 pm

Not sure really, just doing a quick google it seems that there's a special opengl dll you can use, that's provided with the drives... try copying that into your darwinia directory

I'm not sure how the nvidia stereo drivers work, whether they need anything special programmed into the game

Edit: Just as an additional - these have come down in price quite a bit, and I'm slightly tempted to get some... how good are they? Does the 3D really improve the gaming?

Edit2: Although apparantly you can't use them with laptop screens :(
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:34 pm

Darksun wrote:Not sure really, just doing a quick google it seems that there's a special opengl dll you can use, that's provided with the drives... try copying that into your darwinia directory

I'm not sure how the nvidia stereo drivers work, whether they need anything special programmed into the game

Edit: Just as an additional - these have come down in price quite a bit, and I'm slightly tempted to get some... how good are they? Does the 3D really improve the gaming?

Edit2: Although apparantly you can't use them with laptop screens :(

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought that they only worked in DirectX...

As for the questions, 3D is wonderful, but the downside is don't have your computer next to a wall. You get into a habbit of dodging things that are comming out to you, and the wall doesn't move...

And, yes, last time I checked, CRT, and TFT only, but non-laptop ones at that.

NeoThermic
j250x
level0

3D

Postby j250x » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:44 pm

Indeed the 3D is very good, but you genrally need to take the screen res down a bit otherwise you can't get a high enough refresh rate. Being able to see in 3D helps a lot on some games, not on others. I find it's genrally best on FPS.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:48 pm

Sounds pretty good, shame I have a laptop... Also, I suppose it's quite hard to get screenshots ;)
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:51 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought that they only worked in DirectX...

I thought that at first, but a quick google seems to indicate that they also work with OpenGL apps
da_zeg
level2
level2

Postby da_zeg » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:01 pm

Time to kick ass and chew bubblegum

That would pwn, reminds me of Duke Nukem 3d and an old pair of red/blue glasses. I still play the open Gl port to this date. So i cannot begin to inagine how cool that would be on your more recent games.

Your face, your ass, what's the difference?

BTW... Would it be possible to add an option to use red/blue glasses into DW?

Come Get Some....
j250x
level0

Red/Blue Glasses in DW

Postby j250x » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:49 pm

Well, presuming I can get the stereo drivers working in dw, then yeah you could use red blue glasses. Just install the drivers (I finally got ones that worked together off the e-dimensional site) then go into display settings>advanced>stereo properties, and changed your hardware type to anaglyph red blue glasses.

Although as i've said, the 3d doesnt work in DW. Where can I get this opengl dll from?
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Re: Red/Blue Glasses in DW

Postby Dr4goN » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:18 pm

j250x wrote:Where can I get this opengl dll from?
Try www.google.com
Miah
level5
level5

Re: Red/Blue Glasses in DW

Postby Miah » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:32 pm

Dr4goN wrote:Try www.google.com

Try not being a prick.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/downl ... 0UEiXDVLhU

If that fails for any reason, http://darwinite.com/download.php?id=1000 Please try the above link first.
sparkbolt
level0

Postby sparkbolt » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:31 pm

heh i remember i got one of those with my nvidia...2? 2 something.
either way, iu remember playing operation flashpoint with them and it was sextacular! however, i dont still use em.
one, they're awkward to wear, and tire your eyes out faster.
two, if you have glasses and no contacts to wear, it's ecxtremely uncomfortable. you really can't use these with glasses at the same time:P

note, it makes the actual screen image this strange sort of tweaky quality, as if your graphics were corrupted or something, so screen shots wont work :)
well, they will, but they'll look pretty strange.
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Postby Dr4goN » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:02 am

sparkbolt wrote:heh i remember i got one of those with my nvidia...2? 2 something.

Nvidia GeForce2?

Return to “General”