STEAM?

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:05 pm

caleb_grey wrote:
If you don't belive me, buy Uplink's devdisk. Look at the code. Now try *understand* parts of that code. You'll find it difficult, as Uplink was changed about so much that its quite horrid code. Darwinia might not be the same, but I would wager there's things done in Darwinia that can't really be ported well to a generic engine like the Source Engine.

now you are just being silly. i love the game, i love what iv have put together, but darwinia really is not that complicated, and would probably benifit from the mature scripting, and renderer of the source engine, which are the 2 biggest complaints in every review of the game.

Actually its far more complicated than you think. I've seen more of the source of Darwinia than you have. I've also seen the Uplink source (ok, not exactly hard anymore). I can tell you for a fact that the engine of Darwinia is built for Darwinia; porting it or replacing it with something else would be heaniously difficult at best.

As for the benifits? I see few. As I've said before, the source engine is far to heavy for something like Darwinia. Darwinia doesn't need all the extras that come with the source engine, so there's no point in doing it, at all, for any reason.

caleb_grey wrote:
Where the hell did you get the idea that I thought that IV would lose control over the game? Jesus man, read what I write, not what you *think* I write.

Since IV are not tied down to some money sucking corperation, they can make such intresting changes as they please without giving any higher management heart attacks

the context that comes from and your insistence that darksuns paranoid questions be answered, which they will, is where that idea comes from. now it might not have been your intent, but it certainly seemed like you were infering valve would be that money sucking corperation.

Heh. You really do like to make stuff up based on putting two random tings together. Darksuns questions are not paranoid, they are questions that IV would want answering before they even considerd the idea of putting Darwinia on Steam. As for inferring that I'm reffering to Valve as a money sucking corp, thats really clever, but not at all what I'm talking about.

caleb_grey wrote:
I don't belive its going to be a "magical" success. But there's people out there (and on these forums) that hammerd the gesture system because it didn't work for them, they found it unneeded and wanted something simpler. IV listens to such things. This is why you're seeing the change. Now read what I wrote:

I wrote:If it gets Darwinia to those who hated the gestures system, then great.

Note the if. I'm not saying it will. It might fail horribly. But if it doesn't, then thats great.

well then we have different opinions on why iv is "adding" this "easy" option, that imo will break the key gameplay. its basically the same either way though really. money.

Really? As far as I see it, the key motivation has been due to comments against the gestures system from other people. Yeah, its a uniqu-ish idea (been done before, but I've not seen it as seamless as this), but not everyone does gestures.

caleb_grey wrote:
As for the actual issue of what consitites of gameplay, I don't belive that a control system is the whole or key gameplay. Darwinia has a story, and a damn good one at that. If the story can't carry the game alone, then people are looking at the wrong part of the game.

well for me, the whole key to what makes this game great is the timing and tension of trying to input a graphical symbol to run a program. removing this feature to me breaks the gameplay. if you think the story is what is carrying this game, well thats your opinion and you are entitled to. as i am to mine and my opinion is your opinion is once again silly. :P

I see. I'm working from facts rather than opinion (go look up the "pros" of any Darwinia review, and the story will *always* be there, or be highly praised in the review), and you're calling it silly. Eh, each to their own.

caleb_grey wrote:
Where did I say it was innovative? Really, where did I say it? I said it was 'intresting', yeah, because IV have made such intresting changes before, but I never said it was innovative. You're doing it again, reading what you want to argue rather than reading what I'm writing.

oh forgive me i transposed a word by mistake. lets get out the pitch forks. atleast they both start with the same letter, sorta like steam, and source huh?

There's a huge diffrence between 'innovative' and 'intresting', unlike the diffrence between 'steam' and 'source'. (don't make me start pointing them out, I'm assuming you do have a sufficent IQ to work it out for yourself.)

caleb_grey wrote:
What "hoops" are you reffering to? The day the game came out, I bought a copy using worldpay. It was that simple. It took a max of 5 mins to do. There was no hoop jumping done.

worldpay? never heard of it. infact i hadnt heard of iv either when i found out about darwinia. as explained earlier, just handing out my cc# over the internet to some entity i have no idea who they are, sorry i'm just not comfortable with that. i'm glad you had no hoops to go through, i did.

Worldpay is a store provider, and is the store that IV used before their new store.

caleb_grey wrote:
Now, where on earth did you get this figure of 20,000+ downloads which are illegal? Hmm?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8&q=darwinia+torrents

Lets see:
http://www.google.com/search?q=you+suck

Wow! 7,620,000 websites agree that you suck!

Did you know that in your google search for 'darwinia torrent', I'm in there? I'm not providing an illegal copy of the game, I'm linking to the torrent for the linux setup, which requires a legit disk. Also, I would wager that about 98% of those "torrents" are fake links (i.e. versions that make you *think* they are real, but cut out after containment, asking you to buy the game.)

In short, don't use Google as the final word, or as proof that something is real.

caleb_grey wrote:
As for "delays" with the store. IV's always had a store, worldplay. Its always been there. The new store is just that, removing the worldplay store and letting IV control it. (and my advice to you is to stop bashing the store, you don't know anything about its history.)

who is bashing the store? and why would i give a crap about its history? its an unkown quantity and thats all that matters to me and anyone who might have an interest in buying from it. i can whip up a similar looking store with some credit card pics, and a "we're secure" logo too. doesnt mean anyone else out there cant either. it happens. i should know i've fallen for it myself once.

You are by insinuating that the store isn't secure, or could be a fake one cooked up by some bored teen in an attempt to gain credit cards. Well, I hate to break it to you, but its not. The Darwinia store has a 256bit AES SSL connection. Your data is far safer over that than you putting your card into the ATM to get cash, or even handing it to someone at a store in the real world to buy something.

caleb_grey wrote:
You said it could be done, and stuck with the conviction. I'm saying that it couldn't be done for a few reasons. If you don't like me calling you out on that, back it up and prove me wrong.

well considering i am not the only one who is saying it can be done in this thread, consider yourself proven.

I won't consider myself "proven" until you start proving things.

caleb_grey wrote:finally, back on topic.

I don't like to drift too far...

caleb_grey wrote:(insert actual facts (finally))

Ok, so it has a potential to increase sales, with a tiny fraction taken out by Valve for the pleasure of using Steam. So far it doesn't sound so bad.

caleb_grey wrote:how much of the games rights would be retained by IV and how much control would Valve/Steam have?

what makes you think iv would lose rights or control? it would depend on the deal they would sign. i would think it would be anywhere from none to all. it would be up to iv to decide that.

What makes me think that? Ambrosia gained so much control over Uplink when porting it to Mac that IV couldn't sell a devdisk for a Mac Uplink. Things like that make people ask such questions. Seeing as someone else asked what I was thinking, I'm not the only one who would like to know.

caleb_grey wrote:
3 is really a bit crap. Both IV stores have had secure payments. as for 4, again, the new store is up. The hassle we had with it is over. (and as above, don't shout out about what you don't know).

secure to you is insecure to me. i dont know what your hangup is with the store, maybe the server is in your basement? i gave my reasons for it. dont like it? oh well.

So you're saying that a 256bit AES SSL connection is insecure? Heh. I would wager your forum password isn't even more than 10 characters.

As for my hangup with the store? I helped create it. In a join effort between me and IV, we got the store running in about 2 months, doing a admin section from scratch. If you decide to ever trust the store and order something, have a peak at the invoice you get. What you see is the result of code that I did (with John pulling at it if you get an A4 sized version). If you are in a country that requires a CN22 (customs form), peak at the name in the sig. (infact, general call to anyone who has their CN22 lying about, do tell us whats on it ;) )

You did give your reasons, but they are rather pathetic and shallow. "OMG ITS INSECURE!112321!!ONEONETWO" is not exactly the kind of reply I expected from you.

caleb_grey wrote:
As for 5, uh, yeah. How do you work that one out? HL2's protection was cracked (ok, steam did patch and ban those people, but by then people already had the illegal copies).

yes it was, a year ago. and since darwinia is already out there in the wild in its current form its too little too late. polish it up, get the multiplay in there, maybe a small expansion and some easier tools, and there would be a reason to want it agian. how many people out of that 20,000 who downloaded it illegally, would pay for that? why did those 20,000 download it? obviously because they had an interest. how many of those 20,000 dl it because they didnt want to buy from the "store". how many of them would have bought it if popped up on steam? how many used the dl as an extended demo and decided the gestures was the reason they didnt want to purchase? i think you know where i stand on that.

Yeah, you stand on a figure gained from a google search. I'm sticking with my 7.6 million people, and I'm going to say you suck for doing so. [/ironic]

caleb_grey wrote:1 by having it available in a known and trusted outlet selling it

Ok, I'm assuming you're not a UK dweller. If you were, you can find Darwinia in such stores as:
  • HMV
  • Dixons
  • PC World
  • Game
  • Game station
  • Amazon
  • Virgin

Those are respeciable companies, not some 2bit shop. They are also well known. Steam, while being great and all, would only be another name in an already great list.

caleb_grey wrote: are there any sales figures availabe for it?

If 'it' reffers to sales of Darwinia, I could see if I can prod a few out of IV. No promises though.

caleb_grey wrote:
I dunno. Your posts seem half-thought out, they seem to argue things that I'm not saying or never had, and generally lack proof. Please start showing proof.

hey, just because its my first post and thread here, doesnt mean its my first on the internets. :roll:

Did I say it was?

caleb_grey wrote: i only want whats best for iv. i respect what they do, find them increadably creative, and enjoy the game. i want more. i want it to succeed, and i want more games from them in the future.

I agree with you here, I really do. IV, though, has way more up their sleaves than what you see here. Currently IV's laied down two aces. You've yet to see the flop (note, poker term, not flop as in failure). Are you suggesting that people are wise to bet against them? I am certinally not :)

caleb_grey wrote:hopefully we get that. on steam :P

Mabey you will, mabey you won't. Multiplayer is actually already in Darwinia. Its just sitting behind a few years of code rot, and is rather, uhm, tempermential to say the least. Darwinia's future will more likley to hit an X-Box deal than hit Steam first, so play your bet well.

NeoThermic
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Postby Dr4goN » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:28 am

NeoThermic wrote:Lets see:
http://www.google.com/search?q=you+suck

Wow! 7,620,000 websites agree that you suck!

LOL! That was quick.....
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:16 pm

Infact, just to expand further on the google comment:

caleb_grey wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Now, where on earth did you get this figure of 20,000+ downloads which are illegal? Hmm?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=i ... a+torrents

(searches done just now)

So, this figure of 20,000 can be knocked down to 30 hits. I've looked at a few, and I can say that atleast 20 of them are fakes.

That leaves at most 10, so your argument/figure of 20,000 is totally wrong and misleading.

NeoThermic

Edit: modded the long link to prevent page streching :P
Last edited by NeoThermic on Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:53 pm

Although I agree with you that Google searches are not reliable, I hope you realise that one google hit ≠ one illegal download. I assume caleb_grey was checking the results pages for torrent lists, which happen to contain a statistic such as "number of downloads", which, again, is inaccurate, but less inaccurate than Google hits.
It's not as if only 10 people in the world have downloaded a Darwinia torrent - torrents rely on relatively large numbers of seeds.

Google searches are unreliable - this goes for yours too ;) it doesn't stop things like googlefight, which work on numbers of results.

Not that I care, my shiny green box been sitting here almost as soon as I could get my greedy mitts on it.

On topic, a Steam release would probably not harm Darwinia's sales (or publicity, for that matter), although I don't see a huge number of people suddenly becoming interested. Also, I have no idea how easy it would be for IV to sort it out.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:01 pm

I checked several of the sites and they all have 0 seeds and 0 connections. I did not see one that had more than a handful of listed downloads (none anywhere near even triple figures). Although I certainly did not do an exhaustive search by any means.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:15 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Although I agree with you that Google searches are not reliable, I hope you realise that one google hit ≠ one illegal download. [...]
It's not as if only 10 people in the world have downloaded a Darwinia torrent - torrents rely on relatively large numbers of seeds.

Google searches are unreliable - this goes for yours too ;)

Actually, after knocking it down to 30, I tried a few of them, and got the same results as Stews. Of the 2 that I managed to download, they were fake anyway (out of a good 20 diffrent links from the final 30).

I know google searches are unreliable, thats my point here, but you can make a google search more reliable by using the operators, as I've shown.

NeoThermic
caleb_grey
level0

Postby caleb_grey » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:52 am

http://thepiratebay.org/search.php?q=darwinia

9000+ right there, and thats only one site. get a clue. and no its not the demo.

heres another 3000 for ya.

http://torrentreactor.net/search.php?search=&words=darwinia&cid=

12000 on 2 sites. and yes they work. :roll:
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:37 am

People warez because it is free. It doesn't matter how you sell the game - if it is popular it will see a great deal of piracy.

It's rather nonsensical to use piracy as an indicator of dissatisfaction at being unable to purchase the game via a trusted source.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:19 pm

caleb_grey wrote:http://thepiratebay.org/search.php?q=darwinia

9000+ right there, and thats only one site. get a clue. and no its not the demo.

heres another 3000 for ya.

http://torrentreactor.net/search.php?search=&words=darwinia&cid=

12000 on 2 sites. and yes they work. :roll:

Here's a clue for you. Grab your Darwinia disk, put it in the computer. Whats the size of the whole disk? Check just the main folder on the disk. Whats the size of that?

Now look at the pages you've linked. The first one, I see *one* file that matches in size. The rest don't. Also on that very page is one shared by ScareyedHawk. My question to you is do you really think a long time forum member would be illegally sharing the game?

The second page. Again, on size, two match. Their downloads? 403.
A quick check of one of them shows it to be a fake version.

Also, I love how you've skipped my fairly large reply, which makes many counter points to your "evidence".

Remember, I'm one of the last people on these forums you wish to annoy with half thought out posts...

NeoThermic
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:41 pm

And of course, Steam prevents so much piracy.

Oh wait... http://thepiratebay.org/search.php?q=ha ... 2&games=on
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:37 pm

So what if they're fake? poeple have TRIED to download them, rather than buy the game. They may have been disappointed, but they didn't buy it, that was the original point.

About the original point, I don't think it is valid anyway. The 20,000 downloads, whether or not they exist, are not due necessarily to people who have looked on Steam, can't find it, then gone to eBay/Amazon/crappy site with no chance of selling Darwinia. Most illegal downloads are by people who otherwise would not buy the game.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:32 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Most illegal downloads are by people who otherwise would not buy the game.

Au contraire, as with music downloaders, people like to see what they are getting before they part with cash. Sure, demo's are great and all, but demos are just that, a demo. Some people don't try demo's because what is in a demo isn't in the real game (although not true for Darwinia, people still might want to check).

My point is that there will be quite a few people who downloaded the game illegally to try it, found that they liked it and bougth the thing. Just ask a few of the vets of the Uplink fourm; some of them did just that.

The only real figures for how well a game is or isn't doing is sales figures, not how many torrents there are or any other stuff like that...

NeoThermic
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:12 pm

I wrote:Most

Not all.

From my own experience, people download games they would not normally buy, and games they would definitely not buy without first trying it out. The thing with most people is, once they have downloaded the game, especially if it is from some company like [spit]EA[/spit], they will not then go out and buy the game.

I'm sure there are people out there who downloaded the game, tried it, then bought it - but I doubt it's the majority. I would happily accept that I'm wrong, but it's hard to prove either way.

Sales figures are the only real way to judge a game's success or popularity, but I don't see illegal downloads as "lost customers".
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:27 pm

NeoThermic wrote:...one shared by ScareyedHawk. My question to you is do you really think a long time forum member would be illegally sharing the game?

Sounds like a good enough reason to ban him to me!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:55 pm

The GoldFish wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:...one shared by ScareyedHawk. My question to you is do you really think a long time forum member would be illegally sharing the game?

Sounds like a good enough reason to ban him to me!

Oh! Sounds like a great idea :P

xander

Return to “General”