level1
level1

New Episode 3 Trailer

Postby #fookin.RedOctober » Sat May 21, 2005 4:58 pm

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat May 21, 2005 5:01 pm

At the chance of being flamed out of existence: why? why does anyone still care? The original movie was impressive enough, if rather derivative. The rest of the trilogy was fairly good psudo-sci-fi. Ep I sucked. Ep II sucked. Why does anyone still care?

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat May 21, 2005 5:28 pm

Satan, I order you to begone. You are a bad dude. Your presence here has us all deeply bummed. (Sprinkle of holy water.) If you do not get your big red hairy ass out of here, you are going to be in deep shit from the Lord. (If ritual is working, the Possessed, aka xander, should be swearing by this point.) Don't you give me none of your lip, Satan. You can talk to the hand, 'cause the ear ain't listening. (Make 'talk to the hand' gesture and sprinkle holy water.) Satan, you no good freeloading bum, we're onto you. You are, as the Pope says, 'a murderer and a cosmic liar.' (The Possessed, aka xander, should start levitating and vomiting at this point.) You are co-dependent and in need of therapy. May the force be with you. Obi-Wan Kenobi. The devil is now gone. Make it so. Amen.

Congrats on 666 posts. ;)
Last edited by trickfred on Sat May 21, 2005 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korniko
level0

Postby Korniko » Sat May 21, 2005 5:29 pm

And, you know, it's already out.
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Sat May 21, 2005 7:22 pm

Yea and its awesome, just came back from seeing it third time :lol:

I think many people dismiss EP I and II becausen they want to go with the 'fans'. Its like the reaction Metallica got from doing Load/Re-Load.

EP I and II are perfectly enjoyable films to watch, and are vital to the story of star wars. And they change the whole angle of the films, the originals were about Luke, put the six together and you have a story that centers around Anakin not Luke. Its an interesting move to take.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat May 21, 2005 9:13 pm

[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. wrote:Yea and its awesome, just came back from seeing it third time :lol:

I think many people dismiss EP I and II becausen they want to go with the 'fans'. Its like the reaction Metallica got from doing Load/Re-Load.

EP I and II are perfectly enjoyable films to watch, and are vital to the story of star wars. And they change the whole angle of the films, the originals were about Luke, put the six together and you have a story that centers around Anakin not Luke. Its an interesting move to take.

Backstory is a wonderful thing. Method acting is all about backstory, and it is still a fairly well respected theory of acting. In order to write a story, you should know where your charactors are coming from, and where they might be going. However, this does not mean that the backstory ought to be published.

Tolkien had a great deal of back story to the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, most of which remained unpublished until after his death. And, in my onpinion, with good reason. Much of it is dense, full of dates, and not all that interesting to read. It fills in some gaps, and explains things a bit, but not in an interesting, story driven or charactor driven manner.

On top of that, I find that Lucas is not nearly as good at story telling at Tolkien. He will play like he is, but I think that much of it is lies. For instance, Lucas pretends that he was using mythological elements when he created the first movie. However, he did not start making these claims until after others had started to point out those similarities. And (I feel I have some call to say this, as I have studied folklorology) the elements that they point out are rather broad -- it is hard to write any kind of story without using a few of them.

I give all of the movies points and debits for similar things. The acting is generally bad. The writing is generally bad. The story is fairly straightforward (which could be a plus or a minus, depending -- I don't mind simple stories, not everything needs to have a 6th Sense style twist). The special effects are wonderful. The music is John Williams, whatever you may think of that (I find much of the music to be overly bombastic and derivative, though there are bits that I really like). Most of the charactors are like cardboard cutouts, but this may be an effect of a combination of bad writing and bad acting.

Again, just because you have backstory does not mean that you must make a movie. In some ways, I think it detracts from the original movies. Vader was a much more interesting charactor until I saw him as a whiny little boy, and as an angsty teenager without a cause. Now, everytime I see the original movie, I think about annoying Anakin. Vader is no longer frightening at all. I can't even feel nostalgia fear!

At any rate, I will probably see the movie at some point, but it will likely be with a large group of friends in a few weeks so that we can throw popcorn and call right-of-way during the sabre duels without causing to much trouble for anyone. Either that, or we will wait for NetFlix.

xander
Josh mc
level3
level3
Location: :noitacoL . .///////|\\\\\\\ . . . . . . |..---...,...---..| . |........|........| . |...\__.__/...|

Postby Josh mc » Sat May 21, 2005 9:36 pm

I saw Ep. 3 today, and I can honestly say that it is extremely good. Ep.1 I find almost unwatchable lately, having bought the original trilogy on dvd. Ep.2 is good, but only in half of it (i.e the non-love story bits). 3 though, really is vary vary good. Apart from one bit. Darth Vader saying No. That bit is awful. But the rest is so good I want to watch it repeatedly until I know the lines off by heart.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat May 21, 2005 10:20 pm

Josh mc wrote:I saw Ep. 3 today, and I can honestly say that it is extremely good...

Well, maybe I will give it a chance...

xander
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Sat May 21, 2005 10:35 pm

I agree, it's very good. Its nice to see all loose ends tied up. And overall its a very good film, you should all give it a chance... :)
Finn
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Sat May 21, 2005 10:36 pm

Do xander because it is very good, thats what I was trying to get across.

And please don't start me off with all that 'Method' and Stanislavski bull,
Unless you fully understand it, its best not to mention it :)
It is a widely respected theory of acting, but it is also widely discredited and thought of as far too pretentious.
For me, it takes away everything that I love about acting and strips it down to a mechanical form.

Star Wars has never been about great acting, and has never been about critics. The critics lampoon it and dismiss it, the academy never recognise it, but there is an incredible amount of people who love it, and there are not many things in the world that you can say the same about.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat May 21, 2005 11:33 pm

[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. wrote:...And please don't start me off with all that 'Method' and Stanislavski bull,
Unless you fully understand it, its best not to mention it :)
It is a widely respected theory of acting, but it is also widely discredited and thought of as far too pretentious.
For me, it takes away everything that I love about acting and strips it down to a mechanical form....

I think you and I are in very good agreement about that one. That was, in part, my point. Method acting is great if done well, but so many actors really don't get it, and it creates very boring, robotic charactors. I agree that it is pretentious. The point was not that method acting was a good thing, only that it is a good thing for actors to have some idea where their charactors are coming from, and that this realization of context does not need to be put in a public place.

It is one thing to have a story about a charactor -- about how they came up from the ghetto through drug dealing and murder, but reformed and became president of the United States (or whatever). It is another thing to create a movie / play / book that centers around that (overall boring and uninteresting) process.

As to Stanislavski, I do not claim to have a complete understanding -- I don't even claim to have as much knowledge as you do -- but I have studied him. In a previous life, I was a Russian Theatre major. I have read Stanislavski -- in the original Russian, even. So there! :P

xander
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Sat May 21, 2005 11:56 pm

Well I was Stan in my last life :wink:

At least you have some understanding, which is good. I agree that many actors don't 'get it' but i dont think thats the main issue with it. I think the main problem is that it takes so much away from the task in hand.

But i agree with you're point that just because you have a story you don't have to make a film, but i disagree vehemently about Star Wars not being very good.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun May 22, 2005 1:21 am

xander wrote:On top of that, I find that Lucas is not nearly as good at story telling at Tolkien. He will play like he is, but I think that much of it is lies. For instance, Lucas pretends that he was using mythological elements when he created the first movie. However, he did not start making these claims until after others had started to point out those similarities. And (I feel I have some call to say this, as I have studied folklorology) the elements that they point out are rather broad -- it is hard to write any kind of story without using a few of them.

Actually Lucas was a student of Joseph Campbell (probably the greatest expert in mythology in history). Campbell often said Lucas was his best student. I would be careful when you dismiss the mythological basis of Star Wars so quickly. :)
Wet_Flannel
level2
level2

Postby Wet_Flannel » Sun May 22, 2005 10:19 am

I love star wars, just because if you follow all the films, books and games. The universe all goes lovely and btw i loved that video
t3h flannel dont worry its a hippo
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Sun May 22, 2005 11:22 am

Exactly, the expanded world stuff makes it incredible, Kotor 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games, and they really open your eyes to what a lot of star wars is about.

Return to “General”