Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Gaming

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Tue May 17, 2005 1:36 am

Everyone,

Im writing about how games affect us in our daily lives (im trying to make a performance based on the life of a gamer).

I know this is an age old question and everyone has thought about it but thats why im asking, because i know ill get an answer!

Just wondering if you had any stories/anecdotes to how games affect your life and they way you view the world because of them. Also what type of things that you can understand because of them.

Please put at least an element of truth in what you say, it would help a lot

Thanks for your help, if you can't help then try playing more games :lol:
Wet_Flannel
level2
level2

Postby Wet_Flannel » Tue May 17, 2005 7:57 am

I play games alot, as i still live with my parents, this doesnt go down well, i get annoyed with everyday life because my parents are constantly moaning
t3h flannel dont worry its a hippo
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Tue May 17, 2005 8:28 am

I did badly in my January AS modules cos I was playing counter-strike too much...

And I almost failed my GCSE's due to excessive planetside, but I managed to snap out of it last minute and do some last minute revision.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue May 17, 2005 1:25 pm

[quote="Wet_Flannel"]I play games alot, as i still live with my parents, this doesnt go down well, i get annoyed with everyday life because my parents are constantly moaning[/quote]

ditto, and I mean exactly ditto
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Tue May 17, 2005 1:35 pm

okay, this is scary.

what can i say apart from... me too :p
Finn
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 17, 2005 3:05 pm

Wow! It is times like these these that I am glad that I am poor and cannot afford that many games. That being said, my freshman and sophomore years at uni were spent playing Super Smash Brothers, Perfect Dark, DOA2, and Armored Core 2 until the wee hours of the morning.

I was at a small, hoighty-toighty liberal arts school in southern Cali, where they insisted that everyone live on-campus. Most of the dorms were rather small, lit with flourecent bulbs, had barely painted cinder block walls, and ugly tile floors. However, a couple of friends of mine got the bet room on campus -- it was huge, had hardwood floors, 50 year old light fixtures, a fireplace, and it was huge.

In this room, they set up a ginourmus television, and attached an Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, PSX, PS2 (when they came out), Dreamcast, Genesis, and a 3do (I have no idea where this came from). Yeah, yeah, most folk here are not console games, so phbt! We would sometimes have as many as 20-25 people down there playing Goldeneye, with the winner keeping the console, and everyone else cycling in as they saw fit. At other times, we would spread out along the hall, grabbing whatever PCs we could (it was a short hall, and everyone there was part of our little group) and play StarCrack or RainbowSix.

At any rate, start gaming at around 8 or 9 Friday night, and play straight on through to Sunday afternoon, when everyone realizes that they are sleep deprived and need to write 40 page papers for Monday. Good times.

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue May 17, 2005 3:22 pm

Sounds like fun. I used to live in a house with 6 roommates, and 5 of them had computers, so we set up a network, and played a lot of 2v2v2 and 3v3 StarCraft. Lots of fun, and you learn a lot about a person when you play on a team with them.
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Tue May 17, 2005 10:42 pm

edd8990 wrote:I did badly in my January AS modules cos I was playing counter-strike too much...

And I almost failed my GCSE's due to excessive planetside, but I managed to snap out of it last minute and do some last minute revision.

Lol. Me too, My predicted grades for A levels- A,B,C my actual grades B,C,E and I blame too many games, Ban these evil games! lol

Still uni's better cuz it doesn't interfere
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue May 17, 2005 10:46 pm

Another way Darwinia's affected my life - since I started playing it, I've lost 8 pounds. No joke. I'm sure there are other factors involved, but I can't even count now how many meals I've skipped to work on EnemyWithin, or to play StrickenSouls one more time through.
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Tue May 17, 2005 10:52 pm

Looks like you must have a new form of virus to Darwinia... worms! lol
punchanello
level1
level1

Postby punchanello » Tue May 17, 2005 11:54 pm

gaming takes my mind off the fact that every girl I know sees me as "that funny guy that I would never hook up with". Like a legal narcotic, it's an escape.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 18, 2005 1:54 am

[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. wrote:Looks like you must have a new form of virus to Darwinia... worms! lol

Mmmm... tape worms. Damn diet I've ever been on!

xander
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Wed May 18, 2005 2:15 pm

Its not really a diet i would recommend to anyone, but people will try anything these days (egg diet anyone?)

Maybe we should publish the 'worms diet'
lol
martin
level5
level5

Re: Gaming

Postby martin » Wed May 18, 2005 2:17 pm

[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. wrote:Thanks for your help, if you can't help then try playing more games :lol:

Wahey; 'Mum, Dad, I have to fit in 27 hours of gaming around my school work everyday to help this random guy whom I've never met make a play' Lets go for it! Wish I could :(
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Wed May 18, 2005 2:24 pm

If you have that many hours in the day then its worth a try!

I didn't say play, i said performance. Terminology please

Return to “General”