introversion praise

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

Have you lost faith in the future of pc games?

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes: 23
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue May 17, 2005 3:46 pm

haven't sales for darwinia exceeded that of uplink (ie. How many copies of uplink sold in the first 2 months), if they have then the market is doign well and growing. I can see IV changing the market slowly as it releases more games.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Wet_Flannel
level2
level2

Postby Wet_Flannel » Tue May 17, 2005 8:51 pm

I liked the thing xander said about people buying games they know theyll like, and this leads to no "differnt" games being sold which is why chaos league didnt sell as many copies as pro evo soccer. IV have crossed the line to produce games that are different but in my eyes better than others. I actually enjoyed uplink more than hl2 and darwinia more than far cry. there we go!
t3h flannel dont worry its a hippo
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 17, 2005 9:10 pm

martin wrote:haven't sales for darwinia exceeded that of uplink (ie. How many copies of uplink sold in the first 2 months), if they have then the market is doign well and growing. I can see IV changing the market slowly as it releases more games.

Sales of Darwinia exceeding sales of Uplink is not contrary to anything that I posted, I think. I am sure that sales of Escape Velocity Nova exceeded sales of Maelstrom, at least in the first two weeks. This does not imply that the industry is being changed, or that IV is not marketing to a niche -- only that (a) the niche is slightly expanded, or (b) the niche has not yet been saturated. Now, when Darwinia or <the next next game> outsells the HL3 or The Sims Stupid Expansion Pack 47, then I will believe that IV has changed the industry. However, this also assumes that IV does not fall in line with the rest of the industry, though I think that is unlikely, they are far too cool for that.

xander
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Tue May 17, 2005 10:38 pm

Wet_Flannel wrote:I am generally shocked by the spamm machine..... i generally hate steam as i have since i got it and i have noticed it hasnt really improved, it still has major bugs on the gaming side (finding servers and creating) Does this show that valve are just money crazing monsters, they improve the way thier games are sold (through steam) but at the same time they miss out the publishers fees. Genius but fair? If you check out a back issue of pcgamer it has an argument between valve and vendredi about steam. valve won. Valve have gained thousands just from releasing it through steam, clever. Although valve do commonly add things to their new games, like css and hl2dm. Does this show that they are commited to the community or is it just another scheme to get money, i want to know

Spam? Explain how this was spam and i shall not do it again... but i was only reacting to the topic as far as i saw. :?

Well what are they going to do with that extra money? It could go to them or they might invest it in making more available to us, who knows... but we will know over time. Depending on what comes out of steam we shall know, we must only wait.

My feeling is that it will improve but we shall see...
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue May 17, 2005 10:48 pm

The sales of Darwinia have been less than expected. While the initial sales were higher than Uplink, the sales have been tapering off. Uplink's sales kept growing after release and still going pretty strong considering how long it's been. :)
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed May 18, 2005 10:46 am

We can hope.
The problem I've been getting with advertising it to my friends is they all say, 'Ah, well, look at the graphics, they're crap','retro','no, crap'.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Wed May 18, 2005 2:13 pm

But then again, what are retro graphics/games???

Are old films retro films just because there old?

Playing the original Doom is considered to be 'Retro gaming' but that makes no sense at all.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed May 18, 2005 2:15 pm

Well what would you call darwinias graphics? other than reto or crap?
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Wed May 18, 2005 2:19 pm

lol I guess if i was trying to describe it to someone then i would begrudgingly say retro, so they knew what i mean.

But as i was trying to explain to my flatmate, the graphics in Darwinia are GOOD, i say that because it is pleasing to look at.

He just grumbled and then went to play Dynasty Warriors, which apparently has better graphics than Darwinia. I just laughed and killed some more virii
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed May 18, 2005 2:39 pm

Thats the problem I get. The graphics are good but the gameplay is bloody amazing.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Wed May 18, 2005 4:05 pm

I love the graphics in Darwinia, but most people I know confuse 'good' with 'realistic'.
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Thu May 19, 2005 11:28 am

Precisely, if its not bump mapped then its crap.

Going by that people who say darwinia is crap cuz it doesn't look real should in theory think that Worms 3D also looks crap... But no because that came out on consoles so is therefore exempt from the rules.

Them lot drive me wild sometimes :evil:
Wet_Flannel
level2
level2

Postby Wet_Flannel » Fri May 20, 2005 4:47 pm

i have a very single minded friend hudson that loves graphics, when i showed him the screenshots he scoffed at me and the game for being so "crap".

after telling him (afew months later) that i had bought the game, he asked whether he could borrow it, i said no its "crap"

I think people want to think that its crap because they can!
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Fri May 20, 2005 8:54 pm

When I first saw the screenshots in PC Gamer however long ago, I thought 'Great! A game that isn't afraid to be different! I can't wait!'

I then proceeded to feel happy and all was then good. :D

The best thing about the graphics in Darwinia is that they will never look outdated because of the look it has taken on, Doom 3 looks wonderful now, but in a few years people will be moaning about how crap it looks.
Wet_Flannel
level2
level2

Postby Wet_Flannel » Sun May 22, 2005 10:30 am

i like that mate, i agree, but of course until then, people (n00bs) will think that d00m 3 is more kickassic that the d word

Return to “General”