introversion praise

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

Have you lost faith in the future of pc games?

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes: 23
Action-Mike
level0

introversion praise

Postby Action-Mike » Mon May 16, 2005 8:35 pm

i just spent an intense weekend playing uplink and darwinia and i just wanted to say, as a minion of "Game" i was loosing hope for industry, big arsehole corps like EA buying chart positions and the costomers just lap it up. The industry despratley needs companys like you. Dont stop now whatever u do.
Wet_Flannel
level2
level2

Postby Wet_Flannel » Mon May 16, 2005 8:41 pm

Im not sure whether i have just for the reason that i have no idea what will emerge in the next few years... if we see moves like stalker and hl2 then no but EA is evil... i think i wont vote for this one ( very unlike me )
t3h flannel dont worry its a hippo
Falling Guy
level1
level1

Postby Falling Guy » Mon May 16, 2005 8:41 pm

I ahve faith, cos im entering the market lol :-)
Fall, dont fly.
Wet_Flannel
level2
level2

Postby Wet_Flannel » Mon May 16, 2005 8:43 pm

How are you entering the market falling? I intend to do something in it soon but i dunno whether i could be assed to get educated

Btw action-mike i liked the way that your first post was a poll and topic. FLAME!!!
Action-Mike
level0

it needs said

Postby Action-Mike » Mon May 16, 2005 8:50 pm

never trust ne chart or ad in a high street game shop take it from an insider every position in the two big "music" stores and the leadign game retailer have a price.
Wet_Flannel
level2
level2

Postby Wet_Flannel » Mon May 16, 2005 8:55 pm

I never trust tthose liar posters... everyone rip them down....

Ill meet you in prison
Action-Mike
level0

Battlezone 2

Postby Action-Mike » Mon May 16, 2005 9:00 pm

Battleone2 and 1 for that matter both fantastic games that didnt make it (in a business sense) because they didnt have the backing of a big company and couldnt pay for the chart positions so they floped, so im trying to do my bit for Darwinia so it doesnt go the same way by the time im done it will be selling suprisingly well in edinburgh.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon May 16, 2005 9:23 pm

Do we have a winner for the 2005 'Most incomprehensable thread' award?
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Mon May 16, 2005 10:25 pm

I disagree with EA being evil... true they do lap up companies but they don't seek to destroy gaming in any way cuz that wouldn't make 'business sense' but i know what you mean.

I think the biggest problem with gaming is the gamers themselves (hold on, don't go mad at me!, i do play games as well)... meaning; Gamers have moaned for years about how publishers squeeze developers so a comapny called Valve, being the company they are, decide to do something to do about it and come up with a fantastic idea, make it into a program called steam and release it to the world. What happens...

Gamers moan.

Developers make games and programs to suit the average, there not going to make a game that only 2% of the gaming population can play. Having the internet in our homes is common now and many people have broadband, it is now the majority that do. So it follows that although they know not everyone has the internet, the majority of people will not have any problems with Steam and therefore go ahead with their plans to shake off publishers and have creative freedom.
What happens...?

"I've only got 56k modem Steams no good to me, i hate valve there as bad as ea, i'll never play another valve game again!" etc. etc.

How many people moan that they can't play Doom 3 because they haven't got a DX9 Gfx Card? Not that many and its no different.
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Mon May 16, 2005 10:41 pm

To contradict the message of that post...

The gaming community is also a great source of creativity and small projects still have weight in the gaming world, Introversion being a good example of this.

Anyone know of the project in america to get a group of people to make a shareware game every week for a year.
This is an issue in modern theatre, this being something that is very important to me and i can see the problems in the two correlate.

Games will always survive but I think one of the most critical things over the next few years, in order to make gaming thrive, is for them to be taken seriously as an entertainment medium and in another sense, art. The word 'Game' has a lot of connotations that we can all associate with but this needs to be shaken off in order for them to grow. The connotations of the word 'Game' are one of the main reasons why thousnads of parents bought their 8 year olds San Andreas, they don't take it seriously. "Its only a game it can't be that bad" is a phrase I have heard many times. I'm not saying games are bad but the content in them needs to be taken seriously. Would they give Kill Bill to their 8 year olds.
Games are ignored as an artform unless they need a scapegoat.
Serious support from Government would help, just like the National Arts Council etc.

Anyone fancy spearheading a campaign in this vein?

'Make lack of creativity history?'
'Take Games Seriously?'

What do we want?
Creative Games!
When do we want them?
Now!
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Mon May 16, 2005 10:46 pm

The button's name is edit. It is your friend.
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Mon May 16, 2005 10:51 pm

Keep your fingers on, it doesnt matter that much.

Anyway the two post are completely different from each other so it sort of splits them into catergories
Wet_Flannel
level2
level2

Postby Wet_Flannel » Tue May 17, 2005 7:54 am

I am generally shocked by the spamm machine..... i generally hate steam as i have since i got it and i have noticed it hasnt really improved, it still has major bugs on the gaming side (finding servers and creating) Does this show that valve are just money crazing monsters, they improve the way thier games are sold (through steam) but at the same time they miss out the publishers fees. Genius but fair? If you check out a back issue of pcgamer it has an argument between valve and vendredi about steam. valve won. Valve have gained thousands just from releasing it through steam, clever. Although valve do commonly add things to their new games, like css and hl2dm. Does this show that they are commited to the community or is it just another scheme to get money, i want to know
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue May 17, 2005 1:26 pm

I said that I am not losing faith because of IV, they're succeeding and slowly changing the industry.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 17, 2005 3:22 pm

martin wrote:I said that I am not losing faith because of IV, they're succeeding and slowly changing the industry.

I don't know that IV is changing the industry. They sell to a niche market. I am happy to be a part of that market, and I wish them all the best, but most people that buy games go for what they know. They buy the nex Sims expansion, or the next big MMORPG, or the next FPS; like my brother and sister. They are not looking to spend money on originality; they want to spend money on something that they know they won't hate.

Again, I wish IV all the best, but I do not think that they are changing the industry. I will even go so far as to venture that ASW was in a similar position several years ago, when they released the original Escape Velocity. At the time, they were still a very small group of people (not that they are a huge group now), and they were making quality games for the fun of it. They were gamers, making games for gamers, and selling them for cheap as shareware. There was an idea floating around that companies led by Ambrosia might be able to change the model of game distribution to a shareware based model. Well, time has passed, and ASW is still making great games, but they are no longer purely shareware -- they demo the game, and you pay to play the full game. Also, while they are selling to more people now than 10 years ago, they still have a very small part of the market (primarily Mac gamers).

This is not to say that IV, which sells games for just about an PC platform out there, will not have better luck. Still, I just don't see 'the industry' changing all that much because of small companies like IV. I hope for it, and I really would like to see more groups like IV, I am just cynical, and don't think that it will happen.

xander

Return to “General”