Polska w UED - Unii Europejsko-Darwinianskiej

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Podoba Ci sie to, ze wychodzi Darwinia PL??

Poll ended at Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:29 pm

Tak
67%
Nie
33%

Total votes: 3
Poki#3
level1
level1

Postby Poki#3 » Tue May 10, 2005 9:14 pm

woo... People that cant read Polish are reading Polish XDDD
Poki#3
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 pm

Poki#3 wrote:woo... People that cant read Polish are reading Polish XDDD

And the worst part is that I can almost understand some of it. Some of the vocabulary looks very similar to Russian, as does a bit of the grammar. I fel like it is just on the edge of what I understand. It is annoying.

xander
Starfyre
level5
level5

Postby Starfyre » Wed May 11, 2005 10:53 am

I have come to the conclusion that there is no worthwile online Polish translator. You people and your foreign-language conspiracies ;)
Poki#3
level1
level1

Postby Poki#3 » Wed May 11, 2005 7:25 pm

Polish Language is only used in one country i belive.
THATS why its unpopular ^^;

And Yes, it IS simalar to Rusian, and other ex-Soviet Union Countires
Historycial Isjues ^^;;

If theres a none Pole that knows polish on this forum, I'll uy hime a Beer ^^;;;
Poki#3
Jcdx
level1
level1

Postby Jcdx » Mon May 23, 2005 5:55 pm

Zajomwalam sie troche roznorakimi tlumaczeniami i z doswiadczenia moge wam doradzic nastepujace rzeczy:

Przy tlumaczeniu radze wam zachowac nazwy wlasne nie zmienione (np Squad zamiast Oddzial czy Druzyna) - pomaga uniknac ew. problemow ktore moga pojawic sie z racji istnienia przypadkow i roznorakich innych mozliwosci odmieniania w yrazow w j. polskim

Ogonki mozna sobie darowac, bo nie ma tam raczej wyrazow ktore by mogly wprowadzic w blad (typu laska - łaska hehe)

=========================

To all non-Polish ppl :)

sure, our language is a bit similar to Russian but at least we use Latin alphabet (with addition of a few national signs) what makes life and translations much easier :)

And if it comes to Polish online translators - slim chance that anyone would like to write something like that... Our grammar is a marvellous labyrinth many people tend to get lost in forever *grins*
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 23, 2005 6:45 pm

Jcdx wrote:...And if it comes to Polish online translators - slim chance that anyone would like to write something like that... Our grammar is a marvellous labyrinth many people tend to get lost in forever *grins*

Bah, if it is anything like other Slavic languages, it is case based rather than order based. That alone should not affect things to badly. Maybe you have a few extra markers for number or tense, but in the end, language is language. Check out Chomsky. There are only so many things that you can do. And I would argue that English is an even worse quagmire, as many rules don't really work. Ever.

xander
Jcdx
level1
level1

Postby Jcdx » Mon May 23, 2005 6:49 pm

you may be right... It would be a hard thing to judge for me because I've started studying English when I was 7, and now it's like a second language to me in most cases...
when I compare grammar of both languages the Polish one seens to be really more complicated. But that's my personal point of view...
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Mon May 23, 2005 9:18 pm

I think the best translator can be found in the great Monty Python:

I will not buy this record, its is scratched

:lol:

I learnt a couple of Polish phrases when i was there at christmas;

Kocham Cie
Chce ciebie pocaeowac

Are two useful ones :wink:
But my favorite:

Yestem swinia
Jcdx
level1
level1

Postby Jcdx » Mon May 23, 2005 9:34 pm

I hope you know what does the last mean.... :) or somebody just pulled a prank on you

and this reminds me one of our English teachers - Joan. She was from US, Minnesota - she took a particular liking to Polish word "kiełbasa" (sausage)... I don't know why :)

We weren't a nasty lot and didn't teach her dirty Polish words though :twisted:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 23, 2005 10:11 pm

Jcdx wrote:...We weren't a nasty lot and didn't teach her dirty Polish words though :twisted:

Why ever not? Everyone needs to learn to curse in at least one foreign language. Take me for instance. I work with small kids. If I curse in English, I could lose my job. However, if I curse in a language no one understands, I get the satisfaction of cursing, and don't get sacked. Yay!

xander
Jcdx
level1
level1

Postby Jcdx » Mon May 23, 2005 10:29 pm

no, you didn't get my meaning... I meant that we didn't tell her for example that a good way to greet someone in Polish is to tell him 'jestes glupi' (you're dumb) or something worse...

I hope now you know what I was thinking about... Such nasty pranks are sometimes played on unaware foreigners
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 23, 2005 10:59 pm

Jcdx wrote:no, you didn't get my meaning... I meant that we didn't tell her for example that a good way to greet someone in Polish is to tell him 'jestes glupi' (you're dumb) or something worse...

I hope now you know what I was thinking about... Such nasty pranks are sometimes played on unaware foreigners

Ah. I see what you mean. That is a nasty thing to do to someone. I will have to try it on some one some time ^_^

By the way, is 'jestes' a verb or a pronoun?

xander
Jcdx
level1
level1

Postby Jcdx » Tue May 24, 2005 1:19 am

a verb. it's form of 'to be' used in 'you are' (singular)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 24, 2005 5:02 am

Jcdx wrote:a verb. it's form of 'to be' used in 'you are' (singular)

I thought that might be the case. In Russian, it would be 'tji glupji' -- i.e. 'you stupid'. There really isn't a commonly used conjugation of the verb 'to be', so it is kind of implied. Your construction seems to imply the pronoun, which is much more in line with what I would expect from Russian. Tell me: would 'glupi jestes' mean the same thing, or would it be an akward constrution?

xander
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Tue May 24, 2005 10:08 am

Yes Jcdx I do know what they mean, I learnt a lot more but Yestem Swinia is a phrase we pretended not to know the meaning of so we greeted people with it and said thankyou with Kocham Cie :twisted:

It was a good trip :lol:

Return to “General”