Darwinia in reality

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

martin
level5
level5

Darwinia in reality

Postby martin » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:18 pm

DArwinia has inspired me to take up a project I've been thinking about for ages again: A digital landscape with self evolving knoweledge gaining creatures inhabiting it. The aim would be for Artificial Intelligence to develop in the creatures.

However I need help. I Don't nearly know enough programming language to be able to program this yet. If you are:

Interested in AI
Have an idea
Are good at programming
Have an idea of where I can download SOURCE CODE that may help me

Then pleae PM me.
Thanks, Martin.
Last edited by martin on Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:19 pm

... you think you are going to be able to code that on your own?

... you actually think you can run that without a supercomputer?

Or am I wrong?
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:27 pm

And you happen to have either some Protologic 6800, or enough computers that can share data via quantum process? Cool!

Either way, such things to be done for 'real' isn't easy if you don't even know the concepts of AI.

NeoThermic
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:28 pm

First you'd need a system with "Hyperprocessing" capability which currently does not exist on this plane of reality.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Starfyre
level5
level5

Postby Starfyre » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:38 pm

Actually, creating a digital landscape with a single AI instance that is limited to certain tasks seems very possible. THen again, the uses and entertainment are limited ;)
Cargo Cult
level1
level1

Postby Cargo Cult » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:42 pm

Many years ago, I programmed (in QBasic, on a 16MHz 386!) a system of evolving 'bacteria', wriggling their way across a large 2D grid with little dots of food for them to consume.

They had 'DNA', too - basically just a short string representing things like lifetime, tendency to move, rate of reproduction, etc.

It worked remarkably well, too - except for a slight bug which caused dead, brown, zombie bacteria to appear in the top-left of the screen. They moved, too, and slowly wriggled their way to the right and downwards, crowding out the living bacteria...

So basically, you really won't want me to contribute any code. :D
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:20 pm

Cargo Cult wrote:It worked remarkably well, too - except for a slight bug which caused dead, brown, zombie bacteria to appear in the top-left of the screen. They moved, too, and slowly wriggled their way to the right and downwards, crowding out the living bacteria...

omg evolution!

Hmm, I'm going to install creatures!
Disco Stuie
level1
level1

Postby Disco Stuie » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:41 pm

Hehe, that was such a good game.
/me goes to reinstall Creatures2.

@Cargo Cult: pretty impressive, esp. considering the platform and language :wink: . Do you still have the source? I'd like a look (I have neither time nor effort to *do* anything to it), if you are AOK with distributing it. Used to love BASIC, never got very far though...
Bas
level2
level2

Postby Bas » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:50 pm

Those crazy Japanese beat you to it.
http://www.es.jamstec.go.jp/esc/eng/ESC/index.html
spaceh
level1
level1

Postby spaceh » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:10 pm

Martin... yes am interested. It would depend on which language you intend to use though.
martin
level5
level5

OK

Postby martin » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:25 pm

Right, well I'm amazed at the amount of people interested. I don't know what tp code it in, whatever my advisors want; I'm flexible.

Secondly I do not need a load of proto logics. I have designed the system as modular so that I can run each part on one of the three computers at home. If it works well I might even work on an internet; 'SETI at home' style thing (distributed computings the name)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:45 pm

C++

/me nods
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:03 pm

The fact you don't know how to code and want some of us to give you source code....

I doubt this will ever get anywhere.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:23 pm

AI seems like such a simple concept. But over the last 20 years I don't think there has been any real advances. The more we learn the more questions are raised.

You would at least need degrees in psychology and programming (possibly maths, and biology too) to get anywhere near the level you want.

I have tried coding very simple AI programs and have always ran into problems. Basic fundamentals like 'learning' or 'knowlege' are very hard to code, and would take ages.

I don't mean to be a nay-sayer but I have come across posts like yours over the last 10 years by people who are very enthuastic but lack the knowlege and skills to produce anything, and they haven't even come close to making a finished project.
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:29 pm

It's reasonably easy to write and train neural nets for simple individual tasks.

I don't think you'd have much luck for something of this scope, especially where the optimal action for any set of inputs is not previously known.

Return to “General”