Darwinia in reality

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:14 pm

martin wrote:
hitm4n wrote:omg. please read a thread before replying.

thankyou hitm4n, stop me saying that THERE IS A GREAT BLOODY RANT ABOVE THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE BLOODY READ! :evil:

And then you went and said it anyway...

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:53 pm

no, I was telling you what I didn't need to say... I didn't actually say it... :D
anyway...
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:05 pm

hitm4n wrote:omg.

Best. Sentence. Ever.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:24 pm

martin wrote:...I didn't actually say it...

martin also wrote:...THERE IS A GREAT BLOODY RANT ABOVE THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE BLOODY READ!...

Yes you did :)
BaconIsGood4You
level0

Postby BaconIsGood4You » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:04 am

hitm4n wrote:omg. please read a thread before replying.

All 10 pages?

I didn't/don't mean to sound mean or annoying; it was in good humor.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:54 am

Well, you coulda skipped thru some of the posts on each page. Basically all you added here was what 20 other people have said and argued and mulled over. Its so mulled its a very mulled thing now.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:47 pm

indeed... Thankyou hitm4n for once again preventing me from ranting myself - and saving me a lot of typing effort. :D
Morrog
level0

Postby Morrog » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:08 am

After reading 11 pages of this my mind is a bit tweaked, let's see if I can make a coherent statement.

I noticed a bit of talk here and there about defining rules, senses, environments, etc. I think such statements are misguided. Defining rules is entirely and utterly useless.

There is no magic formula for creating a reality that fosters life. Life is separate from reality. Life is a process; it is not defined with elements of reality. This means that it, the process, can be applied to any reality; and that makes the reality entirely arbitrary.

Things like food, energy, speed, movement, etc are just words based on thoughts, where are based on patterns, which are based on the reality that the living creature grew up in.

Light hits our retina, turns into electrical signals, travels to various sections of our brain, is processed based on learned patterns, travels to more sections of the brain, combines with memory, logic, other senses, enters conscious thought, and so on and so forth. One rule of this universe was extrapolated into a million things by our mind which was developed specifically for this world.
But noticed that it could very well have been developed for an entirely separate world. What's stopping you from replacing the eyes with something else? Interpreting a different rule of a different universe.
There's a fine line between our senses anyway. A newborn baby mixes its senses up and only time does it slowly separate them. They can "see" sound, for example.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that you don't have to explicitly define things like food, color, smell, etc in any universe you create. The living creatures in that universe will define it and give them meaning.
Consider my project. Those creatures have sense for at least two things. They can sense what comes out of the gettimeofday function and they can feel the filesystem. Likely they later evolved a pseudosense for how crowded the environment is, and certainly they were aware of each other once they gained the ability to delete each other.

Keep things simple, define the environment that you can, and don't worry about whether it will foster life or not. "Life will find a way"
If you want a virtual environment right now like that of Darwinia then you've got one. Modify the progranism source code to use an exploit like the ancient RPC exploit on Windows and you're done. The internet then becomes Darwinia. ***I in no way condone the use of the progranism source code for malicious purposes with or without real harm, intentional or not. By using the progranism source code you accept all responsibilities for the result of using said source code without any warrenty of any kind***
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:51 am

Martin, what language is this written in?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:10 am

That looks cool :) The next step would be to make 'competing' progranisms, but I guess that would be a lot more complicated. Eventually you would probably get competing species anyway - take a look at a project called Tierra.

Steve
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:16 pm

first of all welcome to morrog (i am the martin on gmail, if you hadn't guessed).

The idea of my project is not to define food, energy etc. the world would model physical processes, so that a life that could potentially exist in the real world could emerge.

prophile, no one language. I've got a physics engine written in a VB, bits of it are also in C++, I've got a renderer for the physics engine which is a wip with parts in C++ and my 'idea testing' is implemented in the easier to use VB. It's a bit of a mix.
Morrog
level0

Postby Morrog » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:28 pm

Mixing VB and C++? *shivers*
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:34 am

Convert your VB to C++! Come back to the light!
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:42 am

well I am only learning C++ at the moment, wheras I've been using VB since I was like seven or something (that is unbelivebly sad, I know) - so I am using VB to test and debug all my ideas, then when I fell bothered I have a go at rewriting the tested version into C++. However I must admit it is mostly in VB :(
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:51 pm

Well, turn it into C++, because VB sucks.

Return to “General”