Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

sfsdfd
level1
level1

*Urgent* request for Introversion web admins

Postby sfsdfd » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:59 pm

Folks:

Congrats on releasing a great game on schedule. However, you're really missing the boat here in one key aspect.

The whole point of buzz and buildup is to build up excitement, so that when the game is available, people go buy it in droves. As it stands, most people who want to buy your game are going to the "Purchase" link... and being told that they can buy the game for $40 today, and will be able to play the game in a week. Maybe. In any case, no less than 28 days from now.

You have got to realize the impact of this. I don't know why you're not offering a web download version for Windows right now - this already seems a very serious timing mistake. But at least tell people when the web version will be available. Right now, people think they're going to have to wait for a boxed version via snailmail. Imagine those people wandering away from your site and never coming back.

Independent game developers live or die based (in small but important part) on how quickly people can play the game after they hear about it. Popcap has this down to a science: you see a screenshot of the game, and within three minutes, you can have purchased it and be playing it. Ditto the Cheapass Games people (makers of "Strange Adventures in Infinite Space"). And of course, Valve followed the same route with the enormously successful release of Half-Life 2.

I really want to see Introversion succeed: Uplink was a gem, and Darwinia looks to be the same. So, please, fix this now.

- David Stein
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:02 pm

They have to set up a system - their servers arn't great, they might struggle to cope if they release it via the web too soon. Plus they need to set up a payment system that allows people to download it, etc.

They never had a downloadable version of Uplink and they managed OK!
sfsdfd
level1
level1

Postby sfsdfd » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:59 pm

Darksun wrote:They have to set up a system - their servers arn't great, they might struggle to cope if they release it via the web too soon. Plus they need to set up a payment system that allows people to download it, etc.

First, that should have been done over the last several weeks... it's not like the release date was completely unpredictable.

Second, if they don't have it ready now, then they have to tell people when it will be ready.
Darksun wrote:They never had a downloadable version of Uplink and they managed OK!

That was a completely different sales model: the sleeper hit. It had no pre-release publicity, so no one really cared when it was released. It had growing publicity and sales following its release, which is extremely unusual. Darwinia has followed a much more typical path: high-visibility website, gaming magazine reviews, etc.

- David Stein
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:28 pm

sfsdfd wrote:First, that should have been done over the last several weeks... it's not like the release date was completely unpredictable.

True... but not true. IV have had a LOT to do over the last few weeks, so if they didn't manage everything, we can't blame 'em. Just be patient. Patience if something you have to learn as a follower of IV!
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4

Postby Lord_Doskias » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:45 am

do remember you're talking about the server that nearly died when a bunch of people tried to merely download the demo.... i dont think a downloadable version of the game would be to handeh on IV's server atm...
if a bunch of people tried to download a demo, think what would happen if a bunch of people tried to dl the full game....
Tom
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Tom » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:00 pm

We're busting our balls at the moment, trying go get both a proper shop ready (mid March), and an online download system ready (early April).

We're a small company and we have limited resources. There simply wansn't time to get a system in place and fully tested before Darwinia was released.

I'll get Chris to put something on the website about it.

If you're in the Uk, you can buy it in the shops. If you're not, then you'll probably want to wait for a localised version anyway (French / German in Early April + others towards the end of April).

The US is the only large market where we may be 'losing out' atm - but you can't win everything....

...in short it's coming.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:05 pm

In other words, patience grasshopper.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
sfsdfd
level1
level1

Postby sfsdfd » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:03 pm

tom wrote:We're busting our balls at the moment, trying go get both a proper shop ready (mid March), and an online download system ready (early April).

I completely understand that. And having played the demo several times, I believe you've done an amazing job so far.

But for people who love to code, play games, and (in particular) code games, it's terribly easy to get absorbed in the product - to the exclusion of other things that also matter. Business (by comparison) is boring and slightly abhorrent, but it's important to do it well - particularly for a small company.

Remember the Amiga: a fantastic hardware and software platform that was killed by poor marketing.
tom wrote:...in short it's coming.

And that's completely fine - I am more than happy to wait patiently for its release. My post wasn't about my impatience (which is nonexistent.) As a full-time attorney and part-time student in a computer science graduate program, I have more than enough to occupy myself in the meantime!

But one sentence in the "Buy Now" page - "Please note that a web-downloadable version will be available on March 15th" - may have a large impact on sales this month.

- David Stein

Return to “General”