Guidance if you find a warez copy

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

Stimulantium
level0

Postby Stimulantium » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:14 am

Console games are more expensive because of less competition and high royalty payments to the hardware producers, which is the business concept since they give the hardware away for nothing.

But anyways, I just wanted to say to Introversion that your game will sell well because it's a great game and not because you chase behind some warez kids who wouldn't buy it anyways. This game appeals to veteran gamers, and these people usually pay for their games and also have the money.
KingOfZeal
level1
level1

Postby KingOfZeal » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:41 am

Stimulantium wrote:My point is a logical one. It is based on the psychological principle of reciprocity. People give back for something they receive. If a game is good, someone will feel that he received something, thus he wants to give something back - in this case money.

Actually, in my case, I tend not to pay for downloads I like. Many times I treat it like just another game, whether I like it or not, and more often than not I end up not playing it for months at a time, play one level of it, then not play it again for another few months.

Personally, I don't like big corporations (such as Microsoft). I think things they produce are too generic. So I tend to download thing from those publishers more often than any other. Not that I don't do the same with smaller ones though (for the record: I did buy this game, not download it).

Whether I decide to download something or buy it depends on two factors: availability and time. If something is more readily available to download, more often than not I will. Likewise if someone released a full-version restricted demo of a game (which I wanted), more than likely I'll try to "upgrade" it for free. There are only a handful of games that I don't feel like waiting for it to become available online and thus will go out and buy (And Darwinia was one of those games).

I think that the only effect piracy will have on sales is to decrease it: I'm sure a number of people are "I download it or I'm not getting it" and refuse to pay for anything, and very few of those people will actually notice how well a game is written to buy it, like you did. But any decrease in sales could be made up for from people who don't feel like pirating something and actually go out to buy it.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:52 am

I think that's the worst excuse ever, 'I pirate it because I don't like it'.

If you don't like something, you don't use it, simple as that.
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:03 am

Darksun wrote:I think that's the worst excuse ever, 'I pirate it because I don't like it'.

If you don't like something, you don't use it, simple as that.

And it's actually ironic. Why pirate it if you don't like it in the first place? It doesn't make sense. You don't gain anything from getting something you don't like. So you do it just for the sake of it? That's nonsense if you ask me. A pirate does what he does because he likes doing it and he likes how he does it, whether it's legal or not. In short, amoral.
KingOfZeal
level1
level1

Postby KingOfZeal » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:59 pm

No, no... I'm not saying I'll pirate something I don't like... For example (and I know a lot of people are going to ask me why), I don't like Halo. So I'm not bothering to pirate it. Hhowever, if MS does happen to put out something I like or need (such as OS's, of which I have more than a couple), then you'd better believe I would pirate it (Also for the record, All the OS's I own, with the exception of one, have a legal lisense with them -- dam activation codes. This doesn't mean I bought them, just that I have them :P)
Sheffer
level0

Postby Sheffer » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:33 pm

Most pirated copies would not translate into sales if there was no option to pirate it. Some would though. And the argument about budget is BS, I know people who has salaries of 10000 US dollars / month that is always on the lookout for bootlegged DVD:s and pirated software even though they have tons of money. It's all about how honest you are.
Cargo Cult
level1
level1

Postby Cargo Cult » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:54 am

Dodgy, Virii-riddled warez copy: free.

Bright green DVD case with CD and manual: £29.99.

Warm fuzzy feeling inside from having purchased said green DVD case and thus financially supporting developers: priceless! :D
Stimulantium
level0

Postby Stimulantium » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:41 am

Warm fuzzy feeling inside from having purchased said green DVD case and thus financially supporting developers: priceless!

So true when dealing with an self-published game of an indie.
Adam Selene
level0

Postby Adam Selene » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:01 pm

Sheffer wrote:Most pirated copies would not translate into sales if there was no option to pirate it. Some would though. And the argument about budget is BS, I know people who has salaries of 10000 US dollars / month that is always on the lookout for bootlegged DVD:s and pirated software even though they have tons of money. It's all about how honest you are.

BS, Windows would sell much more if there was no option to pirate it. The little warez'ers have to fill their warez need somehow, good luck finding the latest Half Life 2 for Linux.
Dave2
level4
level4

Postby Dave2 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:21 pm

Bad choice of game there, considering that Half-Life 2 works fine with Cedega...
Damaged4life
level1
level1

Postby Damaged4life » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:28 am

Ah, another privacy debate... *jumps in

Adam Selene wrote:
BS, Windows would sell much more if there was no option to pirate it

I agree that it would probably sell more, but I am not sure about your "much". There are continuous debates about how the windows (ms) platform will evolve if they cut updates from people who have a fake "serial" key. Some believe that it will increase the sales to great length. Others believe that MS would be digging their own graves, no longer controlling the market but instead forcing competitors to emerge. What if Windows is no longer Status Quo? Since when is the windows brand image to only target those who can afford high fees?

How does this translate to IV? It doesn't!
www.TheDyingGrounds.com ("looking for guinea pigs" v.2)
ruhoward
level2
level2

Postby ruhoward » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:58 am

i'm pretty sure there'll be more copies of Darwinia being sold if there was no piracy at all.
Smart guy
level1
level1

Postby Smart guy » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:18 am

ruhoward wrote:i'm pretty sure there'll be more copies of Darwinia being sold if there was no piracy at all.

Part of it are true. But what happens when there is no piracy and you can't hear people talking about like "Hey, I bought a pirated version of Darwinia, and it is REAL cool!" ?? Well, there will (and most likely) be fewer players to play Darwinia, because of the lack of advertistment or rumors about the game.

But anyway, piracy is not a bad thing. It tells IV that how badly people want this game. Even though there are still people downloading the pirated version, there are still people think that buying a traditional one would be more better than using a pirated one (or they wanted to support IV!!! :D ).
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:53 pm

Smart guy wrote:
ruhoward wrote:i'm pretty sure there'll be more copies of Darwinia being sold if there was no piracy at all.

Part of it are true. But what happens when there is no piracy and you can't hear people talking about like "Hey, I bought a pirated version of Darwinia, and it is REAL cool!" ?? Well, there will (and most likely) be fewer players to play Darwinia, because of the lack of advertistment or rumors about the game.

But anyway, piracy is not a bad thing. It tells IV that how badly people want this game. Even though there are still people downloading the pirated version, there are still people think that buying a traditional one would be more better than using a pirated one (or they wanted to support IV!!! :D ).

Um. Piracy is a very bad thing. If they wanted Darwinia so much, they would buy it. If they download it, it means that Iv don't get the money for it... Therefore they are effectively losing money. Very few people download a game, then say "Wow, that was a good game, lets pay money for it now I've got it already!"

Seriously, VERY few... If the people cared about supporting Iv, they would not download the game.
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Vinco
level0

Postby Vinco » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:01 am

I have to admit... I've pirated Darwinia. I've even beaten it.

But I preordered the game.

I preordered it based on the demo, because it showed me a sample of gameplay unlike any other game I've played. For me, this is rare. I've been burned on quite a few game purchases, to the point where I almost never buy a game without first pirating it now. Has that piracy translated into lost sales for some companies? YES! I've found that some games are absolute crap, and subsequently removed all traces of it from my machine. Has that piracy translated into increased sales for some companies? YES! There have been several games that I would never have purchased, but decided to pirate and try anyway. Occasionally, there's a real gem in there, and I'll always purchase those when possible.

Now back to Darwinia...

I don't feel at all guilty about pirating my copy. I live in the United States, and as of this posting, I still haven't seen my nice shiny green box from my preorder. I'm not really complaining, as I know that it takes a while to ship things across the Atlantic, but I really didn't want to wait to play my new game.

Yes, this is a special case, and not representative of most of the pirated copies of Darwinia out there, but I feel that piracy isn't always the total evil that some posters here have made it out to be.

Return to “General”