Lets try to REDUCE piracy of Darwinia...

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:34 am

Merezin wrote:
To be frank, I don't see anything wrong with harming the pirates' computers. They are taking a product without benefitting its creator.

I'll tell you why:
For one, it's illegal. Plain as that.

And so is your pirating. For someone who seems to pose some sense of morality, you sure excel at double standards. To note:

.......But I'm still gonna find me another download, because I simply do not buy the proverbial cat in the bag anymore............And a whole lot of other games I simply felt plain cheated with.

So it seems you feel cheated out of ALL games that you've downloaded so far. =P

I didn't buy Uplink either. I liked it, for about half a week. Nice idea, very well done. Then gameplay got repetitive and I deleted it from my harddrive, never to play it again.

And to think you even try to generalize the people here as hypocrites, you are by far worse.

That would have been about 30€ (I'm from the EU) wasted, and nowadays simply no one has the money for this kind of stuff anymore. If I can spend it on food I won't throw it out of the window for a game I only ever wanted out of curiosity anyway. I'm a thief, but a honest one. If I like it I'll buy it. Else, no way.

So if you don't have the money then it justifies your stealing? That's a lot of bullshit. Even a 6-year old has more common sense than you do. =P

I've got a lot of stuff on my computer that's not stolen but coded all by meself, and I'd find you and then kill you with my own hands if you touched that stuff.

Sure sure. Well, I'm also sure that if we likewise steal something you've labored on for over two years or so, you'ld understand too. Just like your statement which goes:

I'm sure Introversion understands this better than those crazed fundie moralists in here.

Honest thief, yeah right. What difference does it make if you're an honest thief or not? You're still a thief. Your post oozes with the very same fundalism that you seem to abhor from the guys here, only in the opposite, and quite twisted, direction. Someone who steals and hopes others will understand his point, but at the same time will kill anyone who steals his stuff? I can sum that up in one word: SICK.
Last edited by Iris on Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:39 am

I'll tell you why:
For one, it's illegal. Plain as that.

Second, you'd be no better than we are if you did. In fact you'd be worse, because pirating games is not the same as taking a physical possession away or destroying years of collecting various amounts of information. I've got a lot of stuff on my computer that's not stolen but coded all by meself, and I'd find you and then kill you with my own hands if you touched that stuff.

Third, it's simply WRONG, just as WRONG as software piracy, or hacking off the hands of a burglar just because you want to. What a bunch of smelly little Hypocrites you are.
I don't toy with trivialities such as morality. I harm those who harm me because it both sets and example and pleases me.

This has nothing to do with right or wrong. They are harming IV, which in turn inconveniences myself. I simply retaliate.

If the damage reciprocated is greater than the damage initially inflicted, then all the better. I would love to lay waste to hundreds of hours of irreproducible data to an individual who had pirated Uplink or Darwinia.

I didn't buy Uplink either. I liked it, for about half a week. Nice idea, very well done. Then gameplay got repetitive and I deleted it from my harddrive, never to play it again.
I would say this is grounds for a banning. Wouldn't you guys agree? You had a choice. You were not forced to play the game.
Merezin
level0

Postby Merezin » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:16 am

but at the same time will kill anyone who steals his stuff

In fact, as long as you do not actually damage anything, feel free to copy and redistribute everything I own as per GNU General Public License. I really don't care.

So it seems you feel cheated out of ALL games that you've downloaded so far.

Right you are. I liked Baldur's Gate 2, so I bought it. I didn't like Doom 3, so I didn't care to. Planescape Torment, Diablo, Albion, StarCraft, Fallout, System Shock, that's quality, and should be supported. I would never have bought these games without the possibilty to test them thoroughly beforehand. If you like to pay for something that doesn't keep it's promises, more power to you. I don't, so I won't. Simple as that.

If the damage reciprocated is greater than the damage initially inflicted, then all the better.

And that's why lynching justice is not allowed. 'Cause some guys always think they're more equal than others.
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:24 am

Merezin wrote:I would never have bought these games without the possibilty to test them thoroughly beforehand.

So you mean you paid for these games you just mentioned? There's always the demo releases, why not judge it from there and use it to decide whether to buy it or not? Just wondering.
Merezin
level0

Postby Merezin » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:26 am

So you mean you paid for these games you just mentioned?

Yes, I did. I even still have the game boxes around here somewhere. Demos in general have gameplay elements cut out, the only demo I ever actually liked was from the game Albion (something everyone who likes RPGs should have in his collection, by the way). So I get me the full game and decide THEN whether I like it or not. I do not see anything wrong with that.
Last edited by Merezin on Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:34 am

Merezin wrote:So I get me the full game and decide THEN whether I like it or not. I do not see anything wrong with that.

But I don't see the point in that. You get the full game for free and play it, and then decide to buy it. Upon buying it you're already bored of the game and then tell yourself that you got cheated. It's a self-defeating purpose.
Merezin
level0

Postby Merezin » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:43 am

I guess I did not make my point clear. Those games I felt cheated with I bought without testing them. If I had, I would never have bought them because they plain sucked. I DID buy the other games because I liked them and wanted to support the producers. Yeah, in the end, it's pure egoism - if someone can make one good game, he surely can make another one, so it's in my best interest to pay him for it. And that's the point of the whole thing, isn't it?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:46 am

Sometimes I warez a game I've kinda always wanted to buy/play but never actually did, then often end up buying weeks/months later in like, a 3 for 10 pounds deal at game to get another game I always wanted to play.

As far as I'm concerned, I usually get better bandwidth, better gaurentee of a genuine file, and smaller filesizes with demos - at least if I download them on impulse and never play them they don't take up the same amount of space the full version of the game would.

Plus I don't feel dirty.
Josh mc
level3
level3
Location: :noitacoL . .///////|\\\\\\\ . . . . . . |..---...,...---..| . |........|........| . |...\__.__/...|

Postby Josh mc » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:08 pm

You say that you downloaded Uplink, played it for half a week and then got bored, and thyou downloading it is fair because if you had bought it you would have been cheated because the game only held your attention for so long.
Which means that by your logic nobody should buy anything, because if they get bored of it the person who made it will have "cheated" them out of their money?
tobio2501
level0

Postby tobio2501 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:39 pm

I downloaded the mac demo of the game, and registered it two days later. The fun I had with the first two levels made me fall in love with the game somehow, It just grabbed me on a sort of subconcious level.

I played the windows demo on a friend's pc to show him what the game was like and how it would play on his system, and IMHO the PC demo is nowhere near as good as the mac one. If the mac demo was the same I may not have actually played it as much, or even bought it at all. So beig able to fully evaluate the game is a large factor in buying choice

For me, and many others I know the quality of a game sells itself. If someone was going to pirate the game, they would. If they were to sort of person who wants everything for free they wouldn't pay for it, no matter how cheap it was. If like me you find a game that you love for what it is, and are proud to have it on your computer then the people responsible can gladly have my money!
Dave2
level4
level4

Postby Dave2 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:08 pm

Just out of interest, what, exactly, is the mac demo?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:03 pm

Dave2 wrote:Just out of interest, what, exactly, is the mac demo?

I believe that the Mac demo is Garden and Containment.

xander
Dave2
level4
level4

Postby Dave2 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:26 pm

Ah, right.

Return to “General”