Lets try to REDUCE piracy of Darwinia...

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

Virulent Virus
level4
level4

Postby Virulent Virus » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:42 pm

Oh, and:

http://www.nforce.nl/index.php?m=nfo&id=85873

I'd just like to say I do not endorse warez and/or piracy of Darwinia, or any other software for that matter, in any way whatsoever. Mail Chris if you want, but since the website in question does not host the ISO directly and they probably won't reveal who sent it, I don't see the point of doing so.
Last edited by Virulent Virus on Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is not a signature.
AgentX 24
level4
level4

Postby AgentX 24 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:44 pm

Yes, well done, read the sticky.
Virulent Virus
level4
level4

Postby Virulent Virus » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:46 pm

It appeared while I was posting so I didn't see it. Sorry.
This is not a signature.
AgentX 24
level4
level4

Postby AgentX 24 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:50 pm

The sticky wrote:Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:36 pm
Virulent Virus wrote:Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:42 pm
¬_¬. Anyway, it doesn't really matter, no point arguing about it.
DancingOmelette
level0

Postby DancingOmelette » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:39 pm

If you ask me, putting up the manual PDF on the site was a bad idea... the text about how the manual contains some of the backstory is a good teaser to tempt people into buying the game to get the manual, but with the PDF up there all those who warez it can easily get the manual too.
Andcarne
level4
level4

Postby Andcarne » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:20 am

I think if someone's going to warez it, they probably don't care about the backstory.
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:45 pm

andcarne wrote:I think Steam is the worst thing to ever happen to a game myself. Half life 2 was a really good game, but the numerous problems I've had with Steam (all on fully legal copies) really tend to degrade the gaming experience.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!! Why? Why? Why? Why do you say that? Have you not thought of what steam means to the industry? Yes it is a tad annoying when you have to register and all but pirates can play it anyway, how many of them have HL2 deathmatch? Steam is the best thing to happen for years as the money goes to the important people, the artists and if you cant see that then more fool you
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:15 pm

No, steam is the best *idea* for years, it just wasn't executed aswell as it could have been.
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:22 pm

yea, sorry thats what i meant
New ideas take time to work and when steam gets some tweaks it will be very smooth indeed
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:33 pm

Am I the only one who has had no complaints with Steam??? Its worked perfectly for me.
[cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E.
level1
level1

Postby [cp]M.A.C.H.I.N.E. » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:36 pm

It worked fine for me aswell and i had no problems but from what other people have said on HL2 forums it hasn't been smooth for everyone.
Andcarne
level4
level4

Postby Andcarne » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:16 am

I may have phrased that badly. I don't mean the idea is bad, but that the implementation is crap.

I've had more bad experiences with steam then good ones. Many times updates refuse to download for me, or the game won't launch, or a variety of other problems. (All on legal copies of course.)
Sirveri
level1
level1

Postby Sirveri » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:47 pm

edd8990 wrote:Am I the only one who has had no complaints with Steam??? Its worked perfectly for me.

For me my Internet connection went down shortly after I got it, meaning that I wasn't able to play this shiny brand new 50$ toy I got for christmas. Quite frankly there has to be a better form of content control than this, because if there isn't then I'm very afraid for the slippery slope future I can see.
Look honey, I'm hax0ring the academic records, now I'll be able to get a job!
danielwellsfloyd
level2
level2

Postby danielwellsfloyd » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:07 am

It's been a while guys. Anyway, I was wondering: If you made a fake Darwinia Install application and threw something into the middle or end of the user agreement like, "WARNING: This application will not install Darwinia onto your hard drive. By clicking 'agree,' you agree to letting this application format your hard drive," would it be legal to actually format the user's hard drive?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:42 am

danielwellsfloyd wrote:It's been a while guys. Anyway, I was wondering: If you made a fake Darwinia Install application and threw something into the middle or end of the user agreement like, "WARNING: This application will not install Darwinia onto your hard drive. By clicking 'agree,' you agree to letting this application format your hard drive," would it be legal to actually format the user's hard drive?

For what it is worth, here is my insignificant portion of currency:

Quick answer: no.

Long answer: First, I am not a lawer, but this seems like common sense to me. Let us first make an analogy. You create a long contract with a great deal of fine print. You tell another person that it will give them a free TV. The contract states standard property stuff, like the television will be yours, but any programs that you watch will still belong to the broadcasters &c, and at the end put in a clause that states that, in fact, they will not be recieving a television, but a fertilizer bomb that will destroy their house. Now, if they sign this piece of paper, they are being a bit stupid, but you can still be held responsible for what happens to their house.

Now, the reason that you are still responsible is that you promised them a free television. In fact, you did not give them a TV, but a bomb. You failed to uphold your end of the contract. An end user license is like that contract (sort of). You have promised to give them a free game, but gave them a hard drive reformatting instead. So, if you maliciously seek to destroy another person's hard drive by getting them to sign off on such an end user agreement, you are likely to still be liable. Again, what I think is important is (1) the bait and switch aspect of it and (2) the malicious / criminal intent to destroy their property (and data on a hard drive are considered to be property in most cases).

As I said, I am not a lawer, I don't know anything about contract law, and this may vary from one country to another. However, common sense seems to dictate that you should not nuke another person's hard drive.

xander

Return to “General”