"The First of the Children" become parents

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:16 am

Blue Gene is currently at 70.7 teraflops (trillion floating point operations per second), but has the capacity to run at 365 teraflops.

The major problem is that these systems are designed to do heavy calculation in a short amount of time, however many times they are not very fast at actually executing a single instruction quickly which is what is needed for real time games. However something like Virginia Techs super computer made out of a bunch of G5s could probably be hacked to run games (as the hardware is there), too bad they already dismantled it. :)
Renegatus
level1
level1

Re: "The First of the Children" become parents

Postby Renegatus » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:07 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:
Actually the first games were developed in the basements of places like MIT and Stanford. :)

But they probably weren't very good! The first game I know of is SpaceWar! which was prgrammed on the PDP-1.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Re: "The First of the Children" become parents

Postby elDiablo » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:29 pm

Renegatus wrote:
Stewsburntmonkey wrote:
Actually the first games were developed in the basements of places like MIT and Stanford. :)

But they probably weren't very good! The first game I know of is SpaceWar! which was prgrammed on the PDP-1.

Most of the first games were text based RPG's and the such likes. They were programmed on Punch Cards :D
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
bhsieh
level1
level1

Postby bhsieh » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:34 pm

w0rd for punch cards! My father worked with some of the first computers, and every program was actually just a stack of cards. Think of how far we have come in just 30 years. Text-based RPGs? --> MMORPGs! Text-based strategy? --> RTS! --> Darwinia!!!
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:05 pm

The first game ever was OXO, made for the EDSAC computer, by a PhD student at cambridge university.
simonk
level2
level2

hehe

Postby simonk » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:15 am

Lets play Thermo Nuclear War! Whats the name of that movie again?

EDIT: actually I think the game was called GeoThermalNuclear War...its got that kid on it who hacks into the military PC and It tries to blow up the worls....was it war games?
Talking to you is like clubbing seals....disgusting but somewhat refreshing!
Andcarne
level4
level4

Postby Andcarne » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:26 am

Yeah, the movie was war games. I think the game was Global Thermonuclear War.
Bruce42
level2
level2

Postby Bruce42 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:18 am

Yes, they did a lot of research for that game, in both culture and technical details. Why cant they make movies like that any more?
simonk
level2
level2

80s

Postby simonk » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:01 am

yeah, was pretty sweet for the 80s.....I think hackers was the next best one but that was in the 90s I think.
Bruce42
level2
level2

Postby Bruce42 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:38 pm

It was pretty sweet for any time. Hackers was 90s, and the script was very good. Unfortunately the actors were not taught much, and clearly had no idea what they were talking about.

In War Games the lead actor was given a galaga machine so he could learn and convincingly play as an expert.
simonk
level2
level2

Galaga

Postby simonk » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:43 pm

Ahh galaga...now there's a time waster from a few years back. i must have spent days playing and replaying that on my old Commodore 64. I wish my father never sold it back in the 80s, the C64 had someof the best indy games I ever saw!
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:38 am

Bruce42 wrote:Unfortunately the actors were not taught much, and clearly had no idea what they were talking about.

Sounds pretty accurate to me :P
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:47 am

I just loved the US release with all the disclaimers saying "this cannot possibly happen! It never can! Yadda yadda yadda!"

The disclaimiers on Dr. Strangelove were even better, because if you actually thought it wasn't possible, the amount of disclaimers shown was enough to make you think otherwise :lol:
gumbo
level1
level1

Postby gumbo » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:09 am

Well I started on a ZX Spectrum coding basic. Playing Dizzy games by the Olliver Twins(now own Blitz games) was great too. I got into coding from there and know C and C++ quite well these days alought im not Linus by a long way. I fine people often and youg programs escipply go stright to the code without planning what they want and ofton theres better ways of doing thing. Perhaps learning UML or something simlar might be a great assesst for the furture escipply the way games costs seem to be going up as more and more companies foues on better and better graphics. This also cuts down on posability of memorary leaks and makes you a better coder in gernal.

Somesay soon you buy a game be blown away by the graphics for around 5 minuters play it for 2 minuters and put it down as the company seem to have forgotten to include a game. Take Halflife 2 it's a nice looking Graphicly User Inerface and a crap game(my opoinion).
overclocked zx spectrums for sale
ixplode
level2
level2

Postby ixplode » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:58 am

gumbo wrote:Somesay soon you buy a game be blown away by the graphics for around 5 minuters play it for 2 minuters and put it down as the company seem to have forgotten to include a game. Take Halflife 2 it's a nice looking Graphicly User Inerface and a crap game(my opoinion).

Sadly that day has already come. Anyway, as i just joined the forum, i just got to read through this thread. Thank you god that some people appreciate things like this. All I have to say is, it's sad that we can't pinpoint an exact date on which "Hacker Ethics" died so that we could have a day of remembrance. (Also, to annoy some people for fun, i do h4x the k3rn3l, and was taught by a guy who was on the top 100 list a few years back :D, and as a result i am f44r m0r3 1337 7h4n j00. )

ph34r.
`` The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life. ``

Return to “General”