Mac Beta Application suggestions...

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

mbarr
level1
level1

Mac Beta Application suggestions...

Postby mbarr » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:12 pm

Sorry to do this here.. but can't find a better place in the forums to do this..

The Mac beta signup is up and going.. but it's rather hard to give the correct information to the team about our hardware.

There are only a specific number of models of Macs in the past 4 years.
Each of them will have it's own quirks, etc. There is no way to tell if the application I just submited was for Powermac G4 AGP single proc or dual processor with various other things ( from 4 years ago), or a Mirror Door PowerMac( from 2-3 years ago), or a ibook g4 from march of this year.

We don't have sound cards, for the most part, and (since one of my mac's does, it isn't supported by anyone.)

You need to have an idea of:

Powermac (single/ dual) + mhz & model type & G4/G5.
iMac - G4, G5, & Speed.
iBook - Original, White, Dual USB, or G4. + Speed.
PowerBook - Speed, mostly. G3 or G4.. but mostly they are G4's for the last 4 years.

Memory- 128 + but include 640. It's the max you can put in some of the older ibooks, including machines as new as march (as far as I know). They've gone to 1.25 gig now for the ibook.

Sound card- Don't bother. There is one or 2 usb 5.1 systems for the mac, and you may want to have that listed, but mac it easy for the mac types to input a sound card of NONE. I had to use Motorolla RISC builtin.. which is not really at all accurate, on an iBook.

Speeds- Apple has only put systems out at certain speeds. They are not so many of them.. so you might as well just put an exac number, since each unit is different, and should probably be tested.. You can have an exact test of all hardware, instead of a good guess of PC hardware.

That's it :-)
soulatrium
level0

Postby soulatrium » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:36 pm

I completely agree. The way it's set up now, you can hardly tell that the machine I'm submitting for testing is a laptop and not a desktop. The system seems a bit antiquated if you're truly trying to pick users based on what system they have.
minimusic
level0

Mac beta suggestions

Postby minimusic » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:36 pm

Looking forward to this game! But I too had trouble with the beta form.

I have both a Mac desktop and laptop and would be happy to test on both/either... why only allow specs for one machine to be submitted? I could also test under 10.2 or 10.3 (or 10.1 if it was REALLY needed) but had to pick just one for the form.
celethalion
level0

Postby celethalion » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:44 pm

True. I just submitted my system with incorrect specs. I actually have 640mb of ram, not 512mb. Yes, it is the first generation iBook G4. I got it in Jan '04.
Feather
level0

a yup...

Postby Feather » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:51 pm

I've got one of the new g4 ibooks. I ended up just putting "other" soundcard.
OSX_Phantom
level0

Postby OSX_Phantom » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:13 pm

I would have to agree as well. So I'm going to list my machine specs here.

PowerBook G4 15" 1Ghz
1GB PC133 SO-DIMM
64MB ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility

Mac OS 10.3.5

I also have an Upgraded Blue and White G3.
Sonnet 500Mhz G4 ZIF Upgrade
1GB PC100 RAM
32MB ATI Radeon 7000

Mac OS 10.3.5
Last edited by OSX_Phantom on Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacSteven
level0

Postby MacSteven » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:14 am

celethalion wrote:True. I just submitted my system with incorrect specs. I actually have 640mb of ram, not 512mb. Yes, it is the first generation iBook G4. I got it in Jan '04.

same case here. i have 640 megs of ram...

Also, as far as sound cards go... i didn't even know that "other" was a choice until i read it in one of the posts above me. Usually "other" is listed at the bottom of the list.... i just went and resubmitted my application, and "other" is located with the rest of the o's..... it's should be moved to the bottom of the list.

And as somebody before me mentioned... there needs to be a distinction between different G4 chips... I'm using an iBook G4... but I'm sure that it would be helpful for you guys to know whether or not somebody's G4 chips is running at 1.5 GHz or 500 MHz... and whether or not it's a dual-processor model...

Mine's 933 MHz by the way :)
Thanquol
level0

Postby Thanquol » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:23 am

To give the developers the accurate information on my system I too will post my specs here.

Mirror Drive Door
1 GHz G4
1 Gb RAM
Ati Radeon 9000 Pro with 128 Mb Buffer
Iiyama HM704U 17" monitor 1024x768 at 100Hz

Hope that this will help with future bugs.
Last edited by Thanquol on Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Father Nurgle cares for all his children. Do you want to be adopted?
"Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot remain in the cradle forever."
Tsiolkovski
www.thanquol.nl
kreiggers
level0

What about more than one machine?

Postby kreiggers » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:24 am

I have two machines I could test on, and agree with the previous posters about not being able to give a proper set of specs.

If you want mac beta testers, you may as well as dump your sound card drop down and default to "other" - the cards listed are of no relevance to this beta test.

What about dual processor machines?

What about monitor choices - I hope you realize that there are is more than your generic 4:3 aspect ratio monitors out there (cinema displays, powerbook 15" & 17" display, etc...) and I appreciate having an appropriate display mode for my games that show off what the mac can do.

15" Powerbook, 1.25Ghz G4, 512MB RAM

Dual 1.8Ghz G5, 1.5GB RAM, with 23" Cinema Display, as to the display card - I don't remember which series, but it has 128MB VRAM (6800?)
Andcarne
level4
level4

Postby Andcarne » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:14 am

Actually, they have a Generic Onboard PowerPC sound option under 'g'.

But yes, posting specs here may be useful.

Primary:
G4 Quicksilver (not MDD) Dual 800mhz
640mb RAM
usb sound - harmond/kardon iSub/iSticks
Nvidia Geforce 2MX Twinview 64mb

Secondary machine:
G3 Blue&White 400mhz.
384mb RAM
Built-in sound.
Rage 128 16MB
Last edited by Andcarne on Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hijuku
level0

Postby Hijuku » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:22 am

First of all, ALL recent Macs are have a generic built-in soundcard, so choose "Generic PowerPC builtin audio" in the application. However, if you're one of those rich bi0tches who can actually afford a PCI sound-card, select About this Mac --> More Info... to open System profiler. The model number and manufacturer should be listed under 'PCI/AGP Cards'.

What about dual processor machines?

There's really not much of a difference. There are only a few high grade applications (Photoshop CS, UT04, etc.) that actually utilize both processors, but still its only increases the processing by 5-15%. Wee.

kreiggers wrote:What about monitor choices - I hope you realize that there are is more than your generic 4:3 aspect ratio monitors out there (cinema displays, powerbook 15" & 17" display, etc...) and I appreciate having an appropriate display mode for my games that show off what the mac can do.

Guess what? No one really can really see your monitor over the internet. Introversion really doesn't care about how pretty their game on your particular monitor, they want to know how it does on your machine and any bugs/quirks. They may ask for a few screenshots, but they won't see your 4:3 LCD.

kreiggers wrote:as to the display card - I don't remember which series, but it has 128MB VRAM

C'mon people, would a little research hurt you? Apple-->About this Mac-->More Info... and click PCI/AGP Cards. Right there in front of your face is the graphics card model and manufacture. Was that hard?

mbarr wrote:There are only a specific number of models of Macs in the past 4 years. Each of them will have it's own quirks, etc. There is no way to tell if the application I just submited was for Powermac G4 AGP single proc or dual processor with various other things ( from 4 years ago), or a Mirror Door PowerMac( from 2-3 years ago), or a ibook g4 from march of this year.

There were also a specific amount of Alienware models, AMD models, Pentium models, etc. ALL computer models have there own quirks/bugs, including PCs. Also, there are thousands of PC models, but the sign-up doesn't ask "is your computer a 3489342-59 Pentium IV" for the PC people, did it? No. Also, ALL MACHINES RUN RELATIVELY THE SAME! Sure, there are some key differences such as bus speed, maxium processor speed, RAM, etc., BUT THAT'S EXPECTED! Do this. Buy some software that comes in boxes (if you have a box, get it) Now, look on the side of the box or the bottom where it says minimum system requirements. Does it say 'Only works on desktops' or "Doesn't work on eMacs"? Hell no. It lists the slowest processor it can run at, minimum RAM, and other stuff. The software doesn't care what model computer you have, they want to know general information.

mburr wrote:We don't have sound cards, for the most part, and (since one of my mac's does, it isn't supported by anyone.)

Play iTunes and turn on your speakers connected to your computer. Do you hear any music coming from your speakers? THEN YOU HAVE A SOUND CARD!

mburr wrote:Speeds- Apple has only put systems out at certain speeds. They are not so many of them.. so you might as well just put an exac number, since each unit is different, and should probably be tested.. You can have an exact test of all hardware, instead of a good guess of PC hardware.

Holy fucking crow... THEY DON'T NEED TO KNOW YOUR EXACT MODEL NUMBER! All Macs basically operate the same, they're all PowerPC issues, they all run the same operating system. Geez...

OSX_Phantom wrote:Mine's 933 MHz by the way

Then put 500Mhz-1Ghz... not that hard. Same for the rest of you.

MacSteven wrote: but I'm sure that it would be helpful for you guys to know whether or not somebody's G4 chips is running at 1.5 GHz or 500 MHz

They ask that. Thats kinda the whole "CPU speed" thing.

And for everyone else who posted their specs here.... DON'T! Enter them in your application.

Sorry if you got in my wrath, ignorance just bugs me :evil:

--
EDITED for content :oops:
Last edited by Hijuku on Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord of Hamsters
level0

Postby Lord of Hamsters » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:36 am

I personally think that they should have a separate form to submit specs for the Mac beta. That way we don't have to scroll through *hundreds* of Windows soundcards to find the Generic PowerPC audio selection.
Oh, and this is my first post. Hi, everyone. <Insert random newbness here>

Specs:

iMac G4 17'' 800mhz
768MB RAM
Built-In audio
Nvidia GeForce 4MX

PowerBook G4 12'' 1.33ghz
768MB RAM
Built-In Audio
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB)
Apple 20'' Cinema Display
Thanquol
level0

Postby Thanquol » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:56 am

He Hijuku I agree with you but there are more subtle ways to let people know that they should put a little more effort into it. I have also done the alpha and beta testing for Vendetta-online and there you just had some field you could fill in. Just type what you have, could have saved a little trouble for the devs here. But still we all want to work on the game and lets try to keep things friendly.
Father Nurgle cares for all his children. Do you want to be adopted?

"Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot remain in the cradle forever."

Tsiolkovski

www.thanquol.nl
Hijuku
level0

Postby Hijuku » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:07 am

Thanquol wrote:He Hijuku I agree with you but there are more subtle ways to let people know that they should put a little more effort into it. I have also done the alpha and beta testing for Vendetta-online and there you just had some field you could fill in. Just type what you have, could have saved a little trouble for the devs here. But still we all want to work on the game and lets try to keep things friendly.

What chu talkin' about Willis? I thought I was reaally subtle. :wink:

I am sorry to everyone who go in the way of my wrath and all (nothing personal), I was.... uh.... a little set off. Just think about it as good hard critique. :roll: I used to develop for Gentoo/*nix, and I'd get questions like this all the time: "It says min. requirements is 300 Mhz. Does that mean my P4 2Ghz can run it?" Seriously, you have no idea how annoying it was. I guess these posts just brought back the nightmares within.

Agreed. I'll start being friendly... just please, think/research before you post. :)
kreiggers
level0

Hijuku for moderator

Postby kreiggers » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:24 am

What this forum needs is Hijuku to moderate it. :wink:

Really, none of this is worth getting all fired up about.

Return to “General”