Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

PiD4x
level1
level1

First Impressions?

Postby PiD4x » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:21 am

What where your first impressions?
In all honestly mine where ".....WHAT THE?!??!????" followed closely by "sure the graphics look all shinny, but it doesn’t look fun..."

Now after reading the magazine articles and re-looking at all the screen shots, and it’s a shoe in for the next game I actually buy, few games make it onto that list, infact only half-life, duce ex, and uplink have in quiet a few years :P.
I think you guys should consider putting more detail, or at least some basic game play information on the web site sooner rather then latter :)

It’s been to long since a game has raised the bar with NEW and INTERESTING GAME PLAY. Instead of just raise the graphics or adding super-new physics engine, e.g. doom 3, Far Cry (there is only so much “vast land scape” you can explore before getting bored), half-life 2(one day), etc - all in my opinion not worth even buying. In my opinion it hasn’t happened since half-life/counter-strike(I’m talking old school 98 DM, and CS B6 before the majority of the aim bots) in FPS, since UO in MMOLRPG, and since star craft /red alert in RTS games, they just use the same game play with better graphics with no real new features that give it any sustained re-playability, besides the player made mods/maps.)

From what I have actually pieced together this game looks like fun, and not the kind of fun that wares off when you get bored of the graphics and realise it’s the same old game play style. I think you guys at Introversion have done it again!
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:36 am

www.hektiksniper.net/darwinia.avi :P Check out the video. It gives quite a bit of gameplay away.
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
Jimmy D
level1
level1

Postby Jimmy D » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:49 pm

If it has the same level of gameplay that Uplink had, I don't care what the game looks like. I would normally go for a game that looks more realistic, but knowing how good the gameplay in Uplink was, I know that it's something that Introversion will want to get right. It's a game that I'm very much looking forward to playing.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:12 pm

From the screenshots, I think it looks on par with new games, tbh... As for gameplay, you can only really comment on that when you've played it :P
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Gravitron
level3
level3

Postby Gravitron » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:41 pm

Well, untill I experience some actuall gameplay, spend some time going through what the dev have to say (given they got expectations-credit due to uplink) I can't really say much.

I will say that the notion of playing a game on the cybergrid, being a Tron buff, sure is appealing to me, along the rest of the units.

But, I'll need to spend some time with the game and look at its design and functionality for something more than "looks good, can't wait to take her for a test drive".
iGAME...on the PC
NeoTheOne175
level4
level4

Postby NeoTheOne175 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:43 pm

Gravitron wrote:Well, untill I experience some actuall gameplay, spend some time going through what the dev have to say (given they got expectations-credit due to uplink) I can't really say much.

I will say that the notion of playing a game on the cybergrid, being a Tron buff, sure is appealing to me, along the rest of the units.

But, I'll need to spend some time with the game and look at its design and functionality for something more than "looks good, can't wait to take her for a test drive".

My thoughts exactly, Gravitron. There's no doubt in my mind, however, that Darwinia is going to be an excellent game. Can anyone say "cult hit of 2004"? :D
Josh mc
level3
level3
Location: :noitacoL . .///////|\\\\\\\ . . . . . . |..---...,...---..| . |........|........| . |...\__.__/...|

Re: First Impressions?

Postby Josh mc » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:13 pm

[quote="PiD4x"]half-life 2(one day), quote]

Waht?
danielwellsfloyd
level2
level2

Postby danielwellsfloyd » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:17 pm

My very first impression was: "Is it related to Uplink in any way?" Then a few seconds after that I thought: "I wonder if it will have 8 bit Nintendo characters in it like Mario. But I am not disappointed that it is not related to Uplink, or that Mario doesn't make an appearence.

Final Impression: THIS GAME LOOKS LIKE IT SO TOTALLY ROCKS!
piratebob
level2
level2

Postby piratebob » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:04 am

My first impression was 'Oh, good God, I hope it's a lot better than it sounds.' When they first started releasing info on Darwinia it sounded severly disappointing given the addictive quality and replayability of Uplink. Now I'm excited to play the demo but I have fears that it'll call for higher end tech than I currently own.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Re: First Impressions?

Postby elDiablo » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:52 am

Josh mc wrote:
PiD4x wrote:half-life 2(one day),

Waht?

I think he was talking about the fact that HL2 has been delayed too much :P

(And i fixed your quote tags for my post ;))
sweaty bob
level5
level5

Postby sweaty bob » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:56 am

My first impressions were:

WTF!?! This looks shite.

But now after seeing videos and alot of screenshots and more info it's beginning to grow on me!
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:25 am

My first impression was, "Wow, nice colors! Maybe even girls would love playing this one!".
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:45 am

I think I thought something like "Ooh, pretty tree! I want one!"
Then I read the overview of the game and wondered if there would be a special offer for a tree and game package :D
commish
level1
level1

Postby commish » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:35 pm

it will be different thats for sure, but different is good... a welcome escape from all the fps games comming out now
Sirveri
level1
level1

Postby Sirveri » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:19 pm

I liked that it was kinda funky and weird, like a fusion of retro and modern games.

Which really appeals to me considering I like synthpop which is basically 80's music made with today's instruments.
Look honey, I'm hax0ring the academic records, now I'll be able to get a job!

Return to “General”