Banning / quitting smoking

Anything and everything

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris

Should smoking be banned in public places like in Ireland and NYC?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:10 pm

Yes
74%
No
11%
Monkey!
16%

Total votes: 19
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:31 pm

Very true. And I just saw you post about certain bars and restaurants. I agree that they should allow smoking, as long as in restaurants they make it so that NO smoke can get to the non-smoking areas. And restaurants have the right to be a non-smoking restaurant ;)

Um, that could work...
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
danielwellsfloyd
level2
level2

Postby danielwellsfloyd » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:00 pm

I don't smoke, but if I wanted to, it would be illegal anyway, seeing as I'm under 18. Smoking is a dirty habit that, sadly, many people can't quit because it is too addicting. It takes years off your life, and mountains of cash out of your pocket. The only reason it is legal is because the government wants the cigarette taxes. I say, "Ban smoking period!"
Soulkeeper
level3
level3

Postby Soulkeeper » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:04 pm

Here, here! Another reason to ban smoking, it eats into your wallet, squandering you out of precious, precious drinking money!
- I see your destiny, I control your fate. I am the Guardian Soulkeeper. -
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:05 pm

hmm, i used to smoke. But i was forced to give it up because of funding problems. To be honest though i didnt really find it that hard to give up but i can understand some people getting hooked on it.
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:41 pm

There are a lot of things that are unhealthy that would need to be banned if you justify banning smoking for health reasons, fastfood, tanning, etc. People have the right to do with their body what they want, I don't think a democratic society should do anything to interfer with that. Laws should only be passed to keep people from infringing on the rights of others. If there are places where people can smoke without harming others we should do nothing to hinder that. :)
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:14 pm

No, but the difference with Smoking is that it affects other people. Having to breath in a smokers smoke is horrid, and can pose a health risk. Fast Food and tanning don't affect other people, so they are allowed.

EDIT: OK just noticed the last bit of your post. Forget this post ever occured.
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:02 pm

Well - people always argue "cannabis is less dangerous than alcohol and smoking.. - why isn't it legal?!"

Erm, I'm sure you could try and outlaw smoking and drinking - but it would be bloody difficult and not be very popular. Cannabis is illegal because it *can* be outlawed. Try and outlaw smoking overnight and things aren't going to go down too well..

I would fully support outlawing smoking and measures to remove it gradually from society as a whole, but trying to legislate it would be a nightmare.
Soulkeeper
level3
level3

Postby Soulkeeper » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:57 am

I would favour its gradual ultimate ban, but it would most certainly need to be very slow indeed. I don't think I mind the whole 'do whatever with your own body' idea, especially w' the bars built just for smokers - it would make a good interim stage for the whole movement.

Flamekebab wrote:Well - people always argue "cannabis is less dangerous than alcohol and smoking.. - why isn't it legal?!"

I wouldn't say any drug is less-dangerous than any legal substance. But it appears with what I have heard from news reports that fatalities occur mostly with overdoses; example: Someone takes a pop from drug X that is normally 'diluted', but if the get hold of some pure without knowing it...well, there've been cases to say the least :?
Last edited by Soulkeeper on Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:35 am

I don't see any reason for a total ban. If we are going to ban tobacco outright then we could also ban video game, movies, soccer, etc. Banning something just because it is not liked is a rather dangerous thing to do. Once you start messing with peoples freedoms on that level you get deep into oppression.
danielwellsfloyd
level2
level2

Postby danielwellsfloyd » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:19 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:I don't see any reason for a total ban. If we are going to ban tobacco outright then we could also ban video game, movies, soccer, etc. Banning something just because it is not liked is a rather dangerous thing to do. Once you start messing with peoples freedoms on that level you get deep into oppression.

Since when are we for banning something because it is not liked?
Soulkeeper
level3
level3

Postby Soulkeeper » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:09 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:I don't see any reason for a total ban. If we are going to ban tobacco outright then we could also ban video game, movies, soccer, etc. Banning something just because it is not liked is a rather dangerous thing to do. Once you start messing with peoples freedoms on that level you get deep into oppression.

...and since when were we banning good things like movies and games (wont include soccer, it sucks)? I'm not 100% for a total ban, I just think the world would be a better place without tobacco. Besides, this isn't messing with peoples' freedom - you sound as if the government will step in and start arresting anyone with a stick in their mouths. In time, public opinion will look towards heavier smoking restrictions, then there are no infringements on rights as the majority of the nation in question would be for the ban anyway.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:34 am

Movies and games might lead to voilence, remember? So surely they should be banned!

I dont want to take smoking away from the smokers, I just want to take it away from people who do like/want it :)
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Soulkeeper
level3
level3

Postby Soulkeeper » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:47 am

Violence stemming from video games/movies is just a theory, personally, I don't believe they're the sole cause of a problem (if a cause at all); at most they're a catalyst . Makes you think, something has to be wrong when people start confusing games with reality.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:51 pm

My post was meant to be a bit of humour. Seeing as the majority of government peoples dont like games (except Tony =/ He is going to the EGF this year!), they could say that, and the majority of the masses would agree, through sheer not knowing what they are talking about!

And to prove my post was that of humour, my current b/g for windows is:
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=arc ... 2003-12-15

:D
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:08 pm

The difference between smoking and other things that are bad for you, like fast food and tanning that Stewsburntmonkey mentioned, is that smoking is addictive. In some ways, it is not your own decision to smoke. It can be forced upon you by peer pressure, and then you can be unable to quit.

Return to “General”