Banning / quitting smoking

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Should smoking be banned in public places like in Ireland and NYC?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:10 pm

Yes
74%
No
11%
Monkey!
16%

Total votes: 19
Sirveri
level1
level1

Postby Sirveri » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:54 am

Actually, there are studies showing that smoking does assist in keeping people thin. It causes the scilia in the intestines to lie down and thus absorb less food. At least that's what they told me in health class. I'm not really sure why but I guess it was cause they talked about people getting fat after getting off cigs and drinking lots of coffee.
Look honey, I'm hax0ring the academic records, now I'll be able to get a job!
Hiryuu
level2
level2

Postby Hiryuu » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:38 pm

I tried the holy herb once. A long time ago.

It was called Rosemary. It went well with salmon.

Cigarettes are indeed appetite suppressants. I've been hungrier than usual lately... (been 76 hours now and counting)
Money goooood! Fire baaaad! FIRE! BAAAAAAAAAD!
jim_the_coder
level2
level2

Postby jim_the_coder » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:38 pm

Sirveri wrote:Actually, there are studies showing that smoking does assist in keeping people thin. It causes the scilia in the intestines to lie down and thus absorb less food. At least that's what they told me in health class. I'm not really sure why but I guess it was cause they talked about people getting fat after getting off cigs and drinking lots of coffee.

I hadn't heard that it actually biologically made you slim...I only knew it as a psychological effect as in it kinda replaces eating, so you eat less. Subconscious dieting anyone?
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:21 pm

Well, whatever.

I just spend all my cash on alcohol. That way I can't afford junk food and so lose loads of weight.

The sort of emotional crap I'm going through and have been for the past 6 months probably helped too.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:38 am

On topic: ban it in public places (even the streets), but let people smoke in their houses or back gardens. If they want to kill themselves, I wont stop them :D Well, its their choice if they smoke or not, as long as I dont have to breathe their smoke, I dont care.
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Iwudacus
level2
level2

Postby Iwudacus » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:58 am

elDiablo wrote:On topic: ban it in public places (even the streets), but let people smoke in their houses or back gardens. If they want to kill themselves, I wont stop them :D Well, its their choice if they smoke or not, as long as I dont have to breathe their smoke, I dont care.

Odd statement considering you name, Mr. elDiablo :D
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:42 pm

Lol. You feel the need to make his name bold to point out the joke - considering he's been in the IV community longer than most of the vets, if I remember rightly..
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:15 pm

Which he doesnt as he has been here a few days ;) (at time of posting).

But yes, the ironny of my name has got my many times :(
Hiryuu
level2
level2

Postby Hiryuu » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:23 pm

Wait, I DO remember what I was going to say! Damn you irony, the irony of it all! <insert Nth complexity infinite irony loop here>
Money goooood! Fire baaaad! FIRE! BAAAAAAAAAD!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:43 pm

I think banning smoking in public places is fine to a point. However there should be allowances for smoking establishments. Places like cigar bars should be allowed to continue as their sole purpose is to provide a place to smoke and as such all their clientel are smokers and don't mind the smoke. Also many restraunts have installed elaborate ventilation and airconditioning systems which allow for smoking areas to be completely seperate from the rest of the establishment, these too should be allowed. I think second hand smoke is an infringement on the rights of others, however a complete ban on smoking in public settings is an equal infringment. :)
Soulkeeper
level3
level3

Postby Soulkeeper » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:47 pm

The thing I often wonder, is if tobacco had been discovered at the same time as canabis etc, would it still be legal in the first place. Hard core drugs are illegal due to the simple fact they could be a serious hazard to your health, yet tobacco, known to be the cause of a whole host of health issues (and I also happen to think its unsociable, for a variety of little reasons) is still widely legalized. The World we live in, eh?
- I see your destiny, I control your fate. I am the Guardian Soulkeeper. -
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:51 pm

Drugs are made illegal because they generally pose a risk to society. Generally a drug must be both adictive and able to impare the user to be illegal. Tabacco is just adictive; it does not impare the smoker. Alcohol is not generally adictive yet does impare the user. Most other illegal drugs do both and so can pose a signifigant threat to society. :)
Soulkeeper
level3
level3

Postby Soulkeeper » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:53 pm

Indeed, but I still stand by my original argument that smoking is a hazard none-the-less. Alcohol is not so much of a problem...provided people know when to call it a day, thats when problems start :?
- I see your destiny, I control your fate. I am the Guardian Soulkeeper. -
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:56 pm

Well, alcohol can be addictive, in the sense that people become alcoholics as a form of escapism ;) And surely smoking impares the user in the fact that if they dont smoke (for prolonged periods of time, and obviously this is only in a certain cases), they get "the shakes" etc.

Ok, I know, cocaine and such likes are a LOT worse then smoking, but its where you (well the government) draw the line that I'm questioning =/

This post doesnt really make sense does it?
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:20 pm

In my mind alcohol is much more dangerous to society than smoking. Just look at the DUI and other alcohol related crimes that kill innocent people everyday. I think if you are going to ban one it would be alcohol (although that has been tried in the US and didn't work so well). :)

Return to “General”