Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Gravitron
level3
level3

Tron

Postby Gravitron » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:31 pm

http://www.darwinia.co.uk/screenshots/Image7.jpg

When I saw it in the video promo flic...

Why did they have to make a FPS out of it?
It would seem that every movie that make it and they want to make a game out of it, immidiately they go for that lame old FPS genre.
It's gone, wasted, like its poor (litterally) founder.

Yes, I know it's just some unit, builder, whatever.
Yes, I know Tron didn't invented it (did it? well I seem to recall it coming from some game which its identity eludes my dead brain cells) but it sure would make a great debut if the Tron game was made like darwinia.
An endless virtual cyberscape with actual Tron objects moving about.

I would like to apply a request on this ground to the dev team:
The Yes/No logic bot.
Can we have it (ingame, somehow)? :twisted:
It's a must. :D
dudeman
level2
level2

Postby dudeman » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:01 pm

What's wrong with First-Person-Shooters? That's my favorite genre. Also, what is a Yes/No logic bot, is it like those AIM bots that only answer yes or no?
Gravitron
level3
level3

Postby Gravitron » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:06 pm

FPS is quite limited really, if you think about it.
Also, when it comes to networking (read: online experience/lag handling), it's a nightmare, developers and gamers alike (making it very limited in being open to world wide, and ending up in local servers everywhere with upto 8 or so max players limit).
The only series I've seen truely taking a FPS a step further, gameplay & design wise, was System Shock.

If you've seen Tron, you would know about the logic bot.
iGAME...on the PC
false
level3
level3

Postby false » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:30 pm

It's an upside down U.

Uplink!

:lol:
~>
Dependent filter
Preserves port number
Does not supports hairpin of media
Gravitron
level3
level3

Postby Gravitron » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:40 pm

:P

Eitherway, it's a classic.
iGAME...on the PC

elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:07 pm

Gravitron wrote:FPS is quite limited really, if you think about it.

Er, how about you think about it, and then realise it isnt? (I'm not trying to flame in this post, I promise you.)

Half-Life. No, not CS, not the addons or the clones. Half-Life. See that, I didnt put HL, i put Half-Life. So that you read it. And think. It had one of the best, if not the best, stories. And System Shock, and System Shock 2. Great stories.

Games are becoming (somewhat slowly in my opinion) the new media for interactive entertainment. Ie, you remember those books where you could choose the ending that you read as a kid? Thats what games are. Most, yes, have but 1 ending, others (Deus Ex par example) have more. Saying that a genre is limited is like saying "All horror stories are limited cos someone always killed those people." No freaking sh*t. Doesnt mean that those books arent fun to read. The same with games and FPS's. They are different, they are fun, and they are varied. Not limited.

And how is FPS any more limited then any other genre? RTS? In RTS games, you're not as involved in the story as much, as you're an observer, with an "overview" of the maps. GOD! THEIR BORING! AND RUBBISH! And they're all the same as each other, and so limited. Right? No. The C&C series alone is very varied in many ways. And Perimeter? Thats completely different.

So, saying that genre is limited is very unfair, and wrong. How many FPSs have you made? How many other genres have you made? So how can you know if they are limited or not? Ok, you might not like to play them, each to their own! I dont like LotR, does that mean I dont read books or see films? No. Same with games. I suck at World War style games (no idea why), but other people love 'em!

Dont say something is rubbish, just cos you think it. Say you think it, and respect other people might not ;)
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Starfyre
level5
level5

Postby Starfyre » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:35 pm

Meh. I don't think it's from Tron, although I agree with the upside down Uplink U :D

I believe Introversion has been capable to carry thing s a step further so far, so I don't believe they'll just jump in the old, walked-out ways of traditional FPS environment. I agree, Tron would be nice that way, but maybe Darwinia will lean a bit towards it ... coming to think of it, it'll be kind of hard not to.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:42 am

And those are logic bots from Tron =/Aren't they?! They look like it.... you know, where the guys are driving in the tank, and those things are shooting at them =/
Rubber_Duckie
level0

Postby Rubber_Duckie » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:43 am

Is that what that thing was in Tron? A logic bot? I thought it was just a quirky little thing. A bug even! hehe Wasn't it's name 'Bit' or something like that? Hmm. I may have to watch Tron again.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:23 am

Bit was the floaty sphere thingy wasnt it?
Rubber_Duckie
level0

Postby Rubber_Duckie » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:05 am

Yes, Bit was the little thing that only said 'Yes/No'. It was Flynn's little helper when he was driving or trying to drive that broken Recognizer. Was it called a Recognizer? I really need to watch Tron again. heh
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:30 am

I the game (tron 2.0) bit is freaking annoying, it just doesnt shut up ;_; Its kinda like a tutorial thing but it goes on across the whole game, least as far as i played before i got bored.
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
MrDictionary
level2
level2

Postby MrDictionary » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:57 am

Tron 2.0 is that kinda game, HS. I just got back from a Tron 2.0-spree and I realised why I tried to get rid of it.
Me300
level4
level4

Postby Me300 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:07 am

I dunno, I rather like FPS games.
I still play Operation Flashpoint and Ghost Recon quite frequently.
Gravitron
level3
level3

Postby Gravitron » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:33 pm

You missed the point senior el diablo, it takes more than slapping a good story on a game to evolve it.
Now if you notice, I did note system shock as an advancement.

I think you are confused in your given examples.
Books and films are medias, the theme of the aforementioned or its subcategory is the genre.

As for interactive entertainment, there's a long wide gap, one the size of the grand canyon, in between what games are today and this "choose your story ending"-esque as to what interacitivity is and/or should be.
RPGs are most likely to hold the key to those, online ones in specific are looked upto shaping or rather "make or break" the future.
However, we've yet to see a truely creative and well financed mind as to be able to perform upto expectations.
Brad claim he's going to create the 3rd generation of MMORPGs, we shall see, I wish him only luck as his success means ours (&pleasure).

Now that you mention it, RTS is kind of stuck as well as it would seem for the moment.
StarCraft sure would make an awesome movie, though.
I believe that, if it were, and was it done right, SC: The Movie could become the first successful "a game made movie" film.
iGAME...on the PC

Return to “General”