Darwinia Beta Update Announcement

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Darwinia Beta Update Announcement

Postby John » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:14 pm

We are testing an update to Darwinia. If you're interested to find out more, please try it out and give feedback.

You can find the details at:

Beta Announcement on Darwinia Steam Forum

Thanks for your help.
SomeHacker
level1
level1

Re: Darwinia Beta Update Announcement

Postby SomeHacker » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:00 pm

Not everyone is on Steam. Please provide proper patches for non-Steam players. And fix the website which has been broken since some date in 2016 iirc.

Though my device doesn't meet its system requirements anyway. And I'd prefer to wait until the source code SVN gets updated, if ever.

I'm somewhat disappointed in everything about gamedev these days. Platforms like Steam and Discord becoming de facto standard, system requirements being increased all the time, things are moving to clouds and "smartphones"… is a reason why I'm not looking for new games. And now I have to think of my opinion about patches and updates.

What about updating Uplink btw? It turns 20 on October 1.
Urammar
level0

Postby Urammar » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:56 am

Coming back from the grave just to say who the fuck, in this year of our lord 2021, cannot meet Darwinias system requirements? Also are you actually complaining that games are getting better and more sophisticated with more computational power available? I just.. what?
SomeHacker
level1
level1

Postby SomeHacker » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:00 pm

Urammar wrote:Coming back from the grave just to say who the fuck, in this year of our lord 2021, cannot meet Darwinias system requirements? Also are you actually complaining that games are getting better and more sophisticated with more computational power available? I just.. what?

Assuming I'm not trying to have a conversation with a spambot (it is getting difficult to tell the difference on these forums), my device really doesn't meet it.

This laptop was purchased a decade ago, and it wasn't intended for "gaming". I am able to run Darwinia on it, but not the "remaster", which is not even released outside Steam, another bad thing with gamedev these days.

I feel like "remasters" are useless (I don't care about graphics, I care about gameplay). So is the increasing of system requirements for newer games. Somehow, enjoyable games were made for earlier consoles like NES or Game Boy, without issues about system requirements. So it is not about new games being "better".

No reason to buy a new device just to play a specific game. Especially at time when I feel like I'm about to be made outlaw and possibly get banned from most communities due to recent COVID-19 vaccination-related events.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:55 am

When your hardware dies you'll have no choice but to. It will, one day.

Devs up the requirements so they can accomplish greater things. And those greater things require better hardware to utilize. I for one don't get the state of the art hardware myself, but I get stuff that's considered "yesterday's tech" so it help save a pretty penny and goes hard on discount while still being a massive upgrade for me.
Descore
level0

Postby Descore » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:30 am

SomeHacker wrote:I feel like "remasters" are useless (I don't care about graphics, I care about gameplay). So is the increasing of system requirements for newer games. Somehow, enjoyable games were made for earlier consoles like NES or Game Boy, without issues about system requirements. So it is not about new games being "better".

So play the original and let those of us with slightly newer hardware play the remasters? They do make games relevant again. I also have an old PC running DOS 5.01, I can still play Stunt Cars or Lemmings on that.

Return to “General”