a new map!!!

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Blue1x
level0

a new map!!!

Postby Blue1x » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:53 pm

hello everyone i was looking through the main.dat file and i found a level called sandbox.txt and sandbox.tutorial or something like that well anyways the sandbox.txt one is what i edited when i first opened it it had no game mode it so i set the game mode to domination it look like a capture the statue map i have edited this map and i added 2 spawn points im still thinking on what to put in there i was thinking the tripod because there mostly invincible i cant kill them but it fun to see the multiwinians try also i want to know how to put lasertroops in the game without it crashing i saw them in the spirits folder and they look like the original darwinians i know i been told before that it might not be possible without the source code but im just curious about why darwinia files are even in multiwinia i edited the level with notepad (becuase i only have the darwinia demo) i will post the level soon but i want to make it playable like the AI only goes to the statue so i will fix that so the AI will actually do something AND i got better at making levels i been practicing so it wont end up like my other one i posted long ago it will also be ok if you guys can give me an idea on what to add tanks or keep the tripods or virrii...
xander
level5
level5

Re: a new map!!!

Postby xander » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:59 pm

Christ... would it kill you to use some punctuation every once in a while? or a paragraph break? or even the occasional capital letter? As written, your post is quite difficult to follow... I'll do my best to answer your questions, but I am not entirely clear I even understand what it is that you have done and/or what you want to do.

Blue1x wrote:hello everyone i was looking through the main.dat file and i found a level called sandbox.txt and sandbox.tutorial or something like that

Yes, that map exists. As the name implies, it is a sandbox map, i.e. a map where a developer (or modder) can play around with what is in the game and test ideas. The map was not intended to be a playable map.

Blue1x wrote:well anyways the sandbox.txt one is what i edited when i first opened it it had no game mode it so i set the game mode to domination it look like a capture the statue map

I am confused. You set the game mode to domination and it ended up looking like a CtS map? What do you mean? When you try to play the map, are there statues that your DGs attempt to capture? In what way does it look like a CtS map?

Blue1x wrote:i have edited this map and i added 2 spawn points

That is a good place to start!

Blue1x wrote:im still thinking on what to put in there i was thinking the tripod because there mostly invincible i cant kill them but it fun to see the multiwinians try

Tripods were originally a unit for Darwinia. They never worked properly, and were ultimately cut before release. However, the code for them was never removed, and they continue to haunt both Darwinia and Multiwinia (which is essentially Darwinia with some extra features for multiplayer). I would not recommend putting them into a level, as they don't work properly.

Blue1x wrote:also i want to know how to put lasertroops in the game without it crashing i saw them in the spirits folder and they look like the original darwinians i know i been told before that it might not be possible without the source code

As you seem to note, there is no unit called laser troops which can be added to a map. Trying to add laser troops should cause the map to crash (best case scenario).

Blue1x wrote:but im just curious about why darwinia files are even in multiwinia

Multiwinia is built on the same source code as Darwinia. As I said above, it is basically Darwinia with some network code, better(?) DG AI, and code to make the multiplayer game modes possible. There are lots of little "easter eggs" still in the data and source files.

Blue1x wrote:if you guys can give me an idea on what to add tanks or keep the tripods or virrii...

Tanks and tripods don't work. Don't add them. Otherwise, design the levels that you want. No one plays anymore, and there is essentially no mod support, so you are likely to be the only one who ever plays your maps. Don't bother trying to cater to the whims of a bunch of strangers on the internet, as most of them probably don't really care, anyway.

xander
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:35 am

xander wrote:
Blue1x wrote:but im just curious about why darwinia files are even in multiwinia

Multiwinia is built on the same source code as Darwinia. As I said above, it is basically Darwinia with some network code, better(?) DG AI, and code to make the multiplayer game modes possible. There are lots of little "easter eggs" still in the data and source files.
That reminds me: Are we still supposed to keep quiet about turning on Task Manager, or did that get patched out at some point?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:
xander wrote:

That reminds me: Are we still supposed to keep quiet about turning on Task Manager, or did that get patched out at some point?

We were supposed to keep quiet about that?

xander

Return to “Mods and Maps”