All useable objects/units for multiwinia and usage of them

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Tom.K
level1
level1
Location: The Universe / Milky Way / Solar System / Earth / Europe / Croatia

All useable objects/units for multiwinia and usage of them

Postby Tom.K » Tue May 25, 2010 10:33 am

I'm trying to add some stuff to my future maps (or actually flat map generator), but i don't know what are additional variables for some of them.
This is a list of stuff i would plan to add:

- Spam (red infected crate which releases black death, not infection)
- Jump Pad - I'm having problems with this one. I don't know how to set it properly, the results are weird (arrows go one way, multiwnians go on some other way). I guess that 1st variable is angle from 0 to 360 deg and other is power, i think.
- Spaceship - Hangs (probably due to no AI target)
- Dropship - a spinning decoration?
- Tank - Almost working properly! I was able to shoot but tank kept moving so it was quite confusing, but enemy tanks were working well, too!
- Incubator - ?
- Engineer programmed buildings - ?
- Mine (+machine) - It could be like Rocket Riot mode challenge mode.

Do you know any other things/units which could work in Multiwinia?
Spybot-S&D 2.0 Alpha Tester
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Wed May 26, 2010 12:47 am

Jump pad uses radians, not degrees, IIRC.
And I like controltowers. Laserfences and Radardishes work well with them.
Tank shouldn't still exist; it's definitely not supported well. Use it at your peril.

Shwart!!
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed May 26, 2010 9:28 am

I'm not sure if DW-style spam is possible in multiwinia, but that would be interesting. (in particular for KOTH)
Jump pads actually have three properties. (not in order:) facing direction in radians, launch angle in radians and launch force. Your arrow problem here is most likely because the launch angle is pointing into the ground, try to use angles between 0 and pi/2.
I don't know about using the spaceship outside a powerup. I would have though the powerup would have given it some important info that cant otherwise be passed. Apart from that, adding AI targets is generally a good idea, but shouldn't affect the ship. (we are talking about the giant abducting one and not the harvester right?)
If you want static objects, there is an object type for that.
Tanks - what Shwart!! said.
Incubators should be possible and engineers should interact with them correctly (if not i might have to rethink one of my map ideas). They will need to be linked to a radar tower. You can use magic forests to generate souls.
Not sure if engineer radar towers worked, or even if they are a good idea. It would be really easy to use these to unbalance the game.
Mine - i dunno.

So your goal is to procedurally generate maps? Sounds interesting, keep us posted.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 26, 2010 2:43 pm

elexis wrote:I...Incubators should be possible and engineers should interact with them correctly (if not i might have to rethink one of my map ideas). They will need to be linked to a radar tower....

s/radar tower/control tower/

xander
Tom.K
level1
level1

Postby Tom.K » Wed May 26, 2010 9:04 pm

elexis wrote:I'm not sure if DW-style spam is possible in multiwinia, but that would be interesting. (in particular for KOTH)

After trying Spam, it's red by some reason, not black. It could mess up a player probably. It actually can infect or destroy multiwinians into evilwinians and destroy engineers and probably something else in no time! It actually infected tank... into evilwinian. Really weird thing.
elexis wrote:Jump pads actually have three properties. (not in order:) facing direction in radians, launch angle in radians and launch force. Your arrow problem here is most likely because the launch angle is pointing into the ground, try to use angles between 0 and pi/2.

I'll try using that way, thanks!
elexis wrote:(we are talking about the giant abducting one and not the harvester right?)

Yes, it's that big abducting one. It actually works as usual futurewinian spaceship, it sucks multiwinians and makes them into futurewinians.
elexis wrote:If you want static objects, there is an object type for that.

StaticShape, right? It needs *.shp file. I'll maybe try to generate them...
Shwart!! wrote:Tank shouldn't still exist; it's definitely not supported well. Use it at your peril.

elexis wrote:Tanks - what Shwart!! said.

About tanks, they work pretty well on flat. Of course, controlling is weird. Right-click makes them to move and shoot. I don't notice anything bad about them. It would be more interesting at least for me. CPU is like crazy with shooting tanks! You can't stop them until you destroy them. Maybe they should be like heavy floating tanks which are not like connected to ground. Float level could be set with middle scrolling.
elexis wrote:Incubators should be possible and engineers should interact with them correctly (if not i might have to rethink one of my map ideas). They will need to be linked to a radar tower. You can use magic forests to generate souls.

Incubators work well, even with control station without engineers (i've forgot how to set station for engineers).
elexis wrote:Not sure if engineer radar towers worked, or even if they are a good idea. It would be really easy to use these to unbalance the game.
They could work, but radars on here would be weird unless radars are faster than multiwinians.

elexis wrote:So your goal is to procedurally generate maps? Sounds interesting, keep us posted.

Well, mostly i've made generator only for making stuff on flat map. Making generated map which is non-flat could be too hard at least for me. I'm just making it for now simple.

Anyways, I've tried a few units, some work, some crash.
LaserTroop - Crashed, no spirite at all.
Virii - Working.
InsertionSquadie - Nothing happened.
Egg - From Spore Generator egg, probably working.
SporeGenerator - Working.
Lander - Nothing, I've already saw somewhere that it's nothing doing
Tripod - Working, but it's indestructible. No way to destroy it, or even control i think.
SpaceInvader - Airstrike guy, crashed
Officer - Strangely, weird crash. It was looking for "????????????????????" (? as some weird symbols)
ArmyAnt - Working.
SoulDestroyer - Working, it's even friendly with defined team!
TriffidEgg - Working, hatched thing is random
Shaman - Working, but weird, makes "creating darwinians/darwinians following" text only, which makes it quite useless or a dummy. It can be destroyed by even multiwinians. I've saw posts about it, not supposed to work.
Nuke - Submarine thing, working, but useless, always shoots at corner
Meteor - Working, but destroys itself immediately (warm-up bomb?)
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed May 26, 2010 10:19 pm

I really want to see this tank thing in action. Screenshot?

The reason things like the Squaddie, Invader, Nuke and Meteor aren't working is because they require additional data to work. I don't know how you would enter this data but the squadie (if its what I think it is) needs to be associated with a squad. The rest require a target location to work properly. I'm not sure this data can be provided in mapdata.
Tom.K
level1
level1

Postby Tom.K » Thu May 27, 2010 5:53 am

Hopefully this pic is okay...

Nuke and Meteor work even without additional data, but their usage without them is quite weird.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Thu May 27, 2010 6:10 am

... interesting... to say the least.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu May 27, 2010 5:51 pm

Tanks can be added to maps. That was, I thought, a well known fact. However, the controls are lousy, and they don't do very much. Hence most of us that have played with modding Darwinia have basically decided that they are not worth it. You are welcome to play around with them, but I think that you will ultimately find that they really don't add much to the game.

xander
dent
level0

Awesome

Postby dent » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:55 am

I'd like to try one of these maps out :)
Hopefully this thread isn't dead, I signed up just to reply. I *really* want to check out the tanks, even though everyone says they are pointless.

Thanks!

Return to “Mods and Maps”