Steam is a massive problem with mods...

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

scottystreet
level1
level1

Steam is a massive problem with mods...

Postby scottystreet » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:42 am

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

I brought the Darwinia + Multiwinia pack, on Steam. Great games, until I found that there's no 'data' folder in my Steam directory. This means I can't install Mods. As far as I can see, no one else has posted about this problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a massive problem. I can't believe this hasn't been uncovered (unless I'm just a looser, and havn't read the instructions). It's fine on Darwinia, I worked all that out ages ago (read the Darwinia forums). I just want an answer about Multiwinia, and if there's anybody out there who brought it on Steam, please check it's not just me.
Tom.K
level1
level1
Location: The Universe / Milky Way / Solar System / Earth / Europe / Croatia

Postby Tom.K » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:56 am

That shouldn't be a massive problem. You only have to create your own "data" folder in it, place mod data in "data" folder, and that should be it.
Spybot-S&D 2.0 Alpha Tester
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:58 am

Ok, Thanks - sorry for waisting your time.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:48 pm

Multiwinia doesn't currently support mods (officially) anyway, at the moment. You won't be able to play online with other people who haven't also made the same changes.
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:57 pm

Yes, I did realise this. I don't think it will be possible to create a mod system where you don't need to download level additions. This is great, and I dont know why there isn't a guide to doing this. Somebody should make one, as there will be a massive amount of people trying to do the same as me, because of the recent sale on steam. Thanks a lot anyway, and i hope the map editor will be completed soon!
sik sig
talf301
level0

Postby talf301 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:59 am

To the person who said that you create your own "data" folder, that isn't true. All of the same files are available in the steam version, you simply have to know where to look. Under steam>steamapps>common>multiwinia, you will find a file called "main.dat". Open this with winrar, and voila, your data folder.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:02 am

That can be a worse way of doing it, since you get all of the files that were in main.dat in your data folder. This can make knowing which files were modified harder.

You don't get that problem by just creating the data folder and putting maps/mods there.

And what Tom.K said is still true either way.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:41 pm

talf301 wrote:To the person who said that you create your own "data" folder, that isn't true. All of the same files are available in the steam version, you simply have to know where to look. Under steam>steamapps>common>multiwinia, you will find a file called "main.dat". Open this with winrar, and voila, your data folder.
Please look at the dates before you post..
talf301
level0

Postby talf301 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:02 am

OK, I see how creating the data folder could be beneficial if you were modifying existing files.
What do you mean by that, NeatNit?
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:19 pm

This thread is from three months ago.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:58 pm

NeatNit wrote:This thread is from three months ago.

Stop being a forum nazi. The post is not that old, and the original poster has been active in the last two weeks, so may still be around to comment. Moreover, talf301 brings up a point which is worthy of discussion (and, as occurred, quick dismissal for most purposes). Was talf301's post the greatest post ever? No. Did it offer advice that will ultimately be helpful? Probably not. But it was germane to the discussion, and certainly answered talf301's question (even if he didn't know he had a question), and was better than creating a new topic.

If you have nothing better to add than "Follow the unwritten rules of the forum!", then perhaps you, personally, might be better off not posting?

talf301: It might be better to say that creating a data/ directory would be beneficial if you are not modifying existing files. In that case, you can just dump the new files in, and they should work. By not extracting all of the .dat files, you are less likely to accidentally overwrite something critical and completely bork your game. On the other hand, if you are modifying existing files, you probably do want to extract the contents of the .dat files so that you can work with them. However, even in that situation, I would probably be inclined to extract the .dats to another location, and only copy the pieces that I have actually altered into a data/ directory that has been created as per the directions above. Your mileage may vary.

xander

Return to “Mods and Maps”