custom colors

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

User avatar
prophile
level5
level5
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
Contact:

Postby prophile » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:24 pm

In a related story, Camembert, Ham and Cranberry makes a sandwich most delicious.
User avatar
Patrolman Smith
level1
level1
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:39 pm
Location: Chicago IL
Contact:

enjoying my new picture and troll people!

Postby Patrolman Smith » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:18 pm

It would be a funny social experiment if people were to choose my avatar
Patrolman Smith
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Postby Montyphy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:24 pm

Stop leeching and learn how to resize images, n00b.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
User avatar
GreenRock
level4
level4
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 3:47 pm
Location: Triangulating...

Postby GreenRock » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:56 am

xander wrote:
Mas Tnega wrote:PUPPIES!!

[/nostalgia_chick]

OMG! PONIES!

xander


whats with xander and ponies XD
User avatar
elexis
level5
level5
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:11 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Postby elexis » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:37 am

Childhood memories?
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16868
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: enjoying my new picture and troll people!

Postby xander » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:02 pm

Patrolman Smith wrote:It would be a funny social experiment if people were to choose my avatar

Your avatar is still too large.

Image

Read that very carefully. It says that your avatar should not be greater than 80px in any direction. Why don't you download the image that you want to use as an avatar to your computer, edit it to be the correct size, then host it somewhere. There are tons of image hosting services out there, such as Imageshack.

xander
User avatar
Patrolman Smith
level1
level1
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:39 pm
Location: Chicago IL
Contact:

k

Postby Patrolman Smith » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Ill do that sometime but i find it odd that anyone is allowed to have any specific sized avatar. There is nothing forcing you have a specific sized avatar besides maybe admins telling you to do it.
Patrolman Smith
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Re: k

Postby Montyphy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:53 pm

Patrolman Smith wrote:Ill do that sometime but i find it odd that anyone is allowed to have any specific sized avatar. There is nothing forcing you have a specific sized avatar besides maybe admins telling you to do it.


Image
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
User avatar
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5
Posts: 4796
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:57 pm

That's because 99% of all users here are capable of reading and following the rule stated on the profile page, and of the remaining 1%, 75% follow peer or admin request to size their avatar down without too much questioning.

Besides, this system would be able to reliably check the size of a remotely hosted avatar how exactly?
User avatar
martin
level5
level5
Posts: 3210
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby martin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:59 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:That's because 99% of all users here are capable of reading and following the rule stated on the profile page, and of the remaining 1%, 75% follow peer or admin request to size their avatar down without too much questioning.

Besides, this system would be able to reliably check the size of a remotely hosted avatar how exactly?


Can't CSS set the image size? and then it doesn't matter how big the image is?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
User avatar
prophile
level5
level5
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
Contact:

Postby prophile » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:52 am

martin wrote:
bert_the_turtle wrote:That's because 99% of all users here are capable of reading and following the rule stated on the profile page, and of the remaining 1%, 75% follow peer or admin request to size their avatar down without too much questioning.

Besides, this system would be able to reliably check the size of a remotely hosted avatar how exactly?


Can't CSS set the image size? and then it doesn't matter how big the image is?


The issue is not rescaling, it's bandwidth. Downloading a 2MB jpeg and rescaling it is going to eat more bandwidth and take longer than downloading a tiny png.
User avatar
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5
Posts: 4796
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:03 am

Not to mention that IE doesn't obey and shows the image in its original size.
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Postby Montyphy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:45 am

And CSS rescaling is focused on speed rather than quality which means people waste bandwidth downloading huge images which end up being rescaled and looking crappy.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
User avatar
NeatNit
level5
level5
Posts: 2929
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Israel
Contact:

Postby NeatNit » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:43 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:Not to mention that IE doesn't obey and shows the image in its original size.
Your avatar fits perfectly with that post.
User avatar
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5
Posts: 4796
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:59 am

It fits with most of my posts :)

Return to “Mods and Maps”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest