My first map...Little/Big Island!

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:24 am

elexis wrote:
The Daemons wrote:From the perspective of the screenshot, which hill is unbalanced?

I haven't played any of the maps, but at a wild guess I'd say the green guys are disadvantaged. Their hill looks bigger amd they are further away from the only other spawn point.

What elexis said. This was the impression I got from playing it agains the AI, that it took longer to get there from the left side in the picture.
But that doesn't mean anything without trying it out in multiplayer.

I'll try your other two maps later, they look interesting. :)
The Daemons
level2
level2

Postby The Daemons » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:25 am

elexis wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:Maybe put an AITarget in the middle of the Hill?

Make sure when you do this to make the last two AITarget values "1.00" and "0" respectively. The first value changes the priority of pathfinding through/to this node, 1.00 is the highest priority, 0.00 is normal. The second value when set to 0 makes the pathfinding ignore cliffs when going through this node.

Could you explain a little more what exactly those values do? What exactly do you mean by "priority of pathfinding"?
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:30 am

It means that the AI will try to go first to AITarget nodes that have a number closer to 1.00. If one node has a value of 0.50, and the other a value of 0.51, the AI will go towards/attack the 0.51 node first.

I'm not sure what the second value does exactly.
The Daemons
level2
level2

Postby The Daemons » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:32 am

Could it also mean like a higher chance to attack a higher priority, and sometimes go for a lower priority first, or is it always high priority first?

Edit: Also, would 0.50 vs 0.51 produce the same effect as something like 0.70 vs 0.71, or would the latter just make the AI respond faster? (this is assuming that there are only two AI targets)
Last edited by The Daemons on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:35 am

I remember someone asking Chris that in a interview made by an AI developers group, but I don't remember which of those was it.
Probably best to just try it and see.
The Daemons
level2
level2

Postby The Daemons » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:45 am

I guess I'll have to do that then. :)
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:50 am

When pathfinding you can only go between nodes that are connected. Nodes are only connected if they are close enough (not a problem in your map), if there is no water between them and if there is no steep terrain. When the last value is set to zero cliffs will not be taken in account. Only one of the nodes needs this setting changed.

EDIT: By nodes I mean the AITargets
The Daemons
level2
level2

Postby The Daemons » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:21 am

elexis wrote:When pathfinding you can only go between nodes that are connected. Nodes are only connected if they are close enough (not a problem in your map), if there is no water between them and if there is no steep terrain. When the last value is set to zero cliffs will not be taken in account. Only one of the nodes needs this setting changed.

EDIT: By nodes I mean the AITargets

Which node needs changing?
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:00 am

The one on the cliff
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:57 am

The Daemons: You should tell the IV folks how you did it, though. Probably best just PM it to NeoThermic. There definitely are protection mechanisms there that should prevent just putting your own maps in place of the demo playable ones, so you found a bug that should be fixed.
The Daemons
level2
level2

Postby The Daemons » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:35 am

Oh, well it must have been a fluke or something in the game directory, because all I did was replace the data in the text files without changing the name. But I had it installed on my desktop and I accidentally deleted it while clearing out some miscellaneous icons and folders from my desktop. So I re-downloaded and re-installed it, (this time into program files) and I can't get it to work anymore, so I'll have to wait to get the full game. I can still make new maps though, it's just any new screenshots you see will have to come from Darwinia until I get Multiwinia. Also, I was using the old single-player only demo and now I just installed the new demo, so that may have had something to do with it. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted :P .
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:38 pm

Your other two maps are more interesting, although testing against the AI doesn't really give a feel for how they would do in multiplayer.

I liked ordering a Nuke attack and seeing the nukes come over the hills on Blood Gulch. Great visual moment. :D
tiro
level1
level1

Postby tiro » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:47 am

Is this the 'unknown map' that's currently running on Test Duel Server?

Any links to how to install these maps on the OS X client?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:52 am

There shouldn't be an unknown map on the Duel Test server that you can normally play on. Can you tell me when you saw that? It's possible that a hash for an included map changed without me noticing.
tiro
level1
level1

Postby tiro » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:56 am

Sorry, the server was actually Dedwinia Test. But what map is that Unknown Map?

Return to “Mods and Maps”