Map editor Pros/Cons

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Will the map editor be a good thing or a bad thing?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:36 am

The map editor will be good for multiwinia
83%
The map editor will be bad for multiwnia
17%

Total votes: 12
GreenRock
level4
level4

Map editor Pros/Cons

Postby GreenRock » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:36 am

If the map editor comes out, wont multiwinia be ruled by newly made maps? And only the user who made it would know the strategy to use. Even if they dont, nobody would be accustomed to the new map, so its a disadvantage. Maybe this will seperate the good players from the bad players and make them adjust their strategy for every map they play? I dont know what to think. Well, maybe introversion can have a contest where they, or the multiwinia community, choose the best user created map and weld it into the actual game in a future patch for everyone to play on. They would probably do that periodically, maybe every half a year. Then Multiwinia, in due time, will have a huge roster of maps in a few years, and keeps it living forever. Give your a opinon and ideas.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:57 pm

Keep in mind that making a game in no way automatically makes you good at it. The fact that you know how it's built means close to nothing, unless there's some hidden secret which is IMPOSSIBLE in Multiwinia. I think.

But even if there will be hidden secrets, anyone who downloaded the map can look at it in the editor (hopefully not be able to edit it though - we don't want people stealing others' work!) so no hidden secret will last.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:12 pm

NeatNit wrote:(hopefully not be able to edit it though - we don't want people stealing others' work!)
How would that be possible? If you can look at it, you can copy it. The user data policy of IV always has been transparency, from there you can expect maps to be completely unprotected technically. If you want to protect your work, you'll need to do it legally by placing a license in the map.

On topic: map editor == new maps == more (and better) content, hopefully easily distributed == better game.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:01 am

The copying problem has been mentioned before, and I think the answer to it then was that this forum will flame any blatantly copied works.

Besides, the easiest way to learn is to look at an example.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:00 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
NeatNit wrote:(hopefully not be able to edit it though - we don't want people stealing others' work!)
How would that be possible? If you can look at it, you can copy it. The user data policy of IV always has been transparency, from there you can expect maps to be completely unprotected technically. If you want to protect your work, you'll need to do it legally by placing a license in the map.

On topic: map editor == new maps == more (and better) content, hopefully easily distributed == better game.
I said hopefully!
nccvoyager
level1
level1

Postby nccvoyager » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:14 am

I know, I'm a complete noob, but...
I was planning on making a map for Multiwinia, however...
I already made one in Darwinia, for conversion to Multiwinia...
But, I don't know a few things...
How to actually get laser fences to link, for one...
Another thing is, how would I actually assign spawn points?
If I get it working on my own by dissecting the original Multiwinia maps, I'll let you know...
Otherwise...
Think you could direct me to some old threads?

Edit: Crap. I posted this on the wrong thread...
Meant to post it on the sticky which is actually fairly newly posted on...
Though, this is fairly newly posted on as well, compared to some others...

Edit Edit: Yay! I got it working...
Kind of...
Still have to figure out how to get AI working right...
What's working is fine for the LAN tournament though...
How are the AItarget objects linked?
Or, are they linked at all?

Return to “Mods and Maps”