Draw maps here!

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:36 pm

You need to take the text file that's in the rar and place it in the levels directory. Once you've done that it should appear on the Domination map list.

Once you and your friend have done that, you should be able to play online together. The litmus test is if you can select it for a single player game.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:46 pm

That's freakin awesome man, I did it!!

Great, so how do you do this? is it very difficult? But you're right the cpu totally can't handle this map, not that it could handle me anyway :).
Only could you please change the starting spawns? Because now the 2 side spawns ar really important and the battle will go over them instead over the middle, so if you make the 2 spawn next to each other the starting spawns that would be great.

Someone wants to play?!!!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:02 pm

Jordy... wrote:That's freakin awesome man, I did it!!

Great, so how do you do this? is it very difficult? But you're right the cpu totally can't handle this map, not that it could handle me anyway :).
Only could you please change the starting spawns? Because now the 2 side spawns ar really important and the battle will go over them instead over the middle, so if you make the 2 spawn next to each other the starting spawns that would be great.

Someone wants to play?!!!

You could do this yourself quite easily, although my advice would be to actually remove one of the 2 side spawns, because I think there's too many spawns and it devalues the centre of the map.

the relavent section of the text file is this;

Code: Select all

ID                       Team
   SpawnPoint          0       1137.77 1635.98 255     0.88    -0.48   0       
   SpawnPoint          1       2715.22 1524.27 0       -1.00   0.01    0       
   SpawnPoint          2       188.94  1308.39 1       1.00    0.05    0       
   SpawnPoint          3       1689.42 1161.39 255     -0.86   0.52    0       
   SpawnPoint          4       1543.41 175.81  255     0.02    1.00    0       
   SpawnPoint          5       1326.96 176.66  255     -0.08   1.00    0       
   SpawnPoint          6       1326.96 2650.38 255     -0.03   -1.00   0       
   SpawnPoint          7       1543.41 2652.79 255     0.07    -1.00   0       

spawn 0 and 3 are the ones at the centre, 1 and 2 are the ones at the side of the ma, 4 and 5 are the pair on one side, 6 and 7 are the other. If you change 255 to be 0 or 1, player 0 or 1 will start with that spawn, so you could change 1 and 2 to be 255 instead of 0 and 1, and set 4+5 to be 0, and 6+7 to be 1, although the start cameras would be misaligned. My advice really would be to comment out (with a # key at the start of the line) spawn 5 and 7.

In order to make the map, I loaded up Darwinia's editor and made the actual terrain of the map in it, using a large grid guide. Then I added in buildings as necessery as well as the areas which the spawns sit upon, and the hill (which are all also grid guides), and then reassembled the saved map data Darwinia creates into the Multiwinia map format. If you're familiar with the Darwinia editor, then really that's all you need to make domination maps. I believe most of the information is in a thread I entitled "If you want to try and make a map..."

Play around with the above and see what you prefer, I suppose, and I can update the map on my server to your preference.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:47 pm

I changed spawns :)!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:04 am

Jordy... wrote:++++*+++*++++
///+//////+///////+//
-----++-------++----
000000+++000000
000000+++000000
-----++-------++----
///+//////+///////+//
++++*+++*++++

+++++*+++*+++++
//+////+////+//
---++-----++---
OOOOOO+++OOOOOO
OOOOOO+++OOOOOO
---++-----++---
//+////+////+//
+++++*+++*+++++

?
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:06 am

A proposal on symmetry:

The Waffle Iron, as it stands, may play well (I haven't tried yet) but looks a bit dull, since it's perfectly aligned and flat as martin sugested. What you may want to try is to get your central 'action' area (the iron bit) and then build some extraneous crap around it - hopefully not too useful to winning, but something to give it a little variety. A few hills, maybe some cliffs, a statue or two, insignificant stuff. This can be built asymmetrically in order to jazz the place up a bit. Now that's a lot more work - work which I can't hope to do myself due to massive incompetence - but hopefully someone else can get cracking too to take some of the load off TGF.

Just a suggestion, no need to throw fruit if it's crap!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:09 pm

I made a post and the forums ate it ;-;

Symmetry == common in some of the best maps for other multiplayer games out there
Symmetry != automatically good
Extraneous fluff == Pretty easy to add in Darwinia editor
Extraneous fluff == Difficult to seperate from Important map features
Extraneous fluff == Not added yet because no one has decided exactly what route to take with the map re start locations, # of spawns, hills and gulleys on paths, etc. Plus no one asked for it.
Map making == easy peasy for me, not necesserily so for everyone else. So sure, make work for yourselves by trying to relieve me of a task I find simple if you would like to (there are in fact numerous reasons why you could like to, but for the sake of relieving me of the task is not a very good one)

What kind of puts me off is having to work out what people want/what they mean, or if they keep changing their minds (for example if little hills are added to the paths and they have to keep being moved around for some reason, because that'd normally be hard work to change. Interestingly, a tool may be being made available soon which would allieviate the activity of changing grid guides somewhat.). I mean, I could put up the Darwinia version of that map for people to poke at, but, I assume that anyone who would want it would just convert it from the MW version anyway.

Point is, I prefer to give people nets, rather than fish, but I don't put myself above handing out a nice big fish every now and again, probably because I imagine my nets are full of holes anyway. The fact that chances are, most of the people I try to give nets to subsequently put them on their heads and dance around is neither here nor there.

I'm not trying to say that I'm an a member of an all powerful map spewing creator race, sjust that everyone's time is valuable and I can make maps faster than your average person, so I don't mind shooting one off every now and again if it helps someone out.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:55 pm

I really appreciate that GoldFish, I suppose that I wouldn't be a great map maker since I have virtually no understanding of computers unless someone tells me exactly what to do.
I try harder to make it more clear what I mean, I think everybody should really make the maps symetric, as you explained so well for what reasons, but I'm sure more features can be added in a symmetrical way.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Jordy... wrote:I really appreciate that GoldFish, I suppose that I wouldn't be a great map maker since I have virtually no understanding of computers unless someone tells me exactly what to do.
I try harder to make it more clear what I mean, I think everybody should really make the maps symetric, as you explained so well for what reasons, but I'm sure more features can be added in a symmetrical way.

I think they mean aesthetic features, like the odd mountain here or there with a statue on top of it. Something to look at, with no tactical advantage (and where maybe you can't even go). It just stops the map looking quite so bland.

Oh, and can you confirm or modify my interpretation of that other map I posted a couple of posts back? it,

+++++*+++*+++++
//+////+////+//
---++-----++---
OOOOOO+++OOOOOO
OOOOOO+++OOOOOO
---++-----++---
//+////+////+//
+++++*+++*+++++

Although I think it is actually supposed to look more like;

+++++*+++*+++++
//+////+////+//
---++-///-++---
OOOOOO///OOOOOO
OOOOOO///OOOOOO
OOOOOO///OOOOOO
---++-///-++---
//+////+////+//
+++++*+++*+++++

Most of my concerns are the scale of how long it all is vs how wide it is.

Oh, and just call me TGF.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Cyan, please draw your map with paint. No matter how bad it is, it can't be much worse than ASCII.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:23 pm

NeatNit wrote:Cyan, please draw your map with paint. No matter how bad it is, it can't be much worse than ASCII.
Consider this: I'm going to quote you to that.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:26 pm

Yeah TGF the last acci drawing of that map is indeed best, it looks good, maybe you can make it quit small in lenght but large in eh.. broad?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:18 pm

Jordy... wrote:Yeah TGF the last acci drawing of that map is indeed best, it looks good, maybe you can make it quit small in lenght but large in eh.. broad?

Or, maybe you can make it quite small in length, but keep it broad. Or short and wide. Or do you mean tall and narrow? I don't even know any more. You need to understand that, from my perspective, you basically just said "yeah what you said but different in some way that means that if you went away and made it, you'd need to do it all again because it wasn't right"...

You can't scale the X and Y dimentions seperately in Xwinia, it's the sort of thing you need to get right the first time, because if you have to do it the second time, it's actually exactly the same as doing it the first time all over again (ie, doubling the work load)

Don't make me jump through all the hoops; you have a keyboard too, could you give me something solid to work to?
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:22 pm

++++*+++*++++
//+//+++//+//
00000///00000
//+//+++//+//
++++*+++*++++

I finally got it right :).
The GoldFish