Draw maps here!

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Jordy...
level5
level5

Draw maps here!

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:39 am

And if you're lucky Goldfish will make them for you, or maybe you can make them yourselfs.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:13 am

-//////////////////////////-
-/-----//-----------//----/-
-///////////+//////////////-
*/-----//////+/////*///---/-
-/-----////*///+///////---/*
-/////////////////+/////////-
-/-----//------------//---/-

-->

Text file or Rar

Dump in [wherever multiwinia is]/data/levels/

(you'll need to create above directories). Your opponent of choice would have to do the same, and then you should be able to play the map against one another, and if you're just wanting to play the computer you should be able to do that too by just selecting whatever it is that it looks like on the domination map list.

Although this is currently called cyanmap1, it's very tempting to call it the Waffle Iron.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:09 pm

Let's pick this place, I like this map very much and it is the same color I had in mind, just 2 things that could be changed but first I'll play it like this.
1 starting spawn instead of 2, and the opposing starting spawns are stretch a little further but this looks great too, so I'll give it a try, thank you so much :)!

As to the name, your choice, I certainly don't deerve the credit for it, but it would be nice if you could give it an easy name to remember and then we just nickname it the waffle iron xD.

I have to go now but as son as I get back I am going to play it. And I'll try to make the other map more clear then. Damn great!!!

btw you played it yourself?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:22 pm

You know, sometimes it's really quite difficult to make sense of what you say, and your diagrams are often rushed and haphazard. For a start, as things are set up, there is only 1 starting spawn point per team, but, there's still 2 on the (slightly longer) edges - I assume that's what you wanted changing?

Would you consider using something like Paint and imageshack to get your ideas across maybe? Or deliver an actual, complete and at least mostly accurate ascii interpretation? I mean, I do end up having to guess quite a lot of what you're trying to put across, and it seems obvious to me like you have a pretty good idea of what you want but are struggling to really solidify your thoughts and put them to paper (or at least, computer screen).

I gave the map a quick go against the CPU to check it all worked, and as I'd expected, the computer struggled with the map due to the vast quantities of choice. The waypointing seems to all work as well as you would expect it to, which is nice.

I'm sad to say now that your current problem with testing it against someone is that you need someone to test it against, and you seem to have burnt quite a lot of bridges recently and might find that difficult. I'm afraid I can't really help you with that for a small handful of reasons that ultimately I have little interest in overcoming.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:36 pm

I can understand that, sorry for that, luckily I have one player that will play test me for sure wich is Myst, hopefully others will too.

The map looks great I just thoughed of the starting points to be at the 2 spawns together, like:

//////////here///////////
/-----//------////------/
/-----//------////---v/
/////////------/////////
*-----//+////*///------/
/-----////+/////------/
///////*/////+/////////*
/-----//-----//------/
/-----////---//------/
/-----//-----//------/
/////////here//////////

It's messy and the other map I will make perfectly but, ignore the spawns locations they are all perfect just change the starting place if you could.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:41 pm

I can't find the map levels and data, Multiwinia is in my prgram files, but once there I get:

Backup_lots of numbers maps and some Multiwinia logo's to autopatch and the game self and some files I can't open at all, but no levels or data.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:57 pm

I am sorry I didn't put it in code, but the line extend differently then. The idea is to create a ravine with a valley.

++++*+++*++++
///+//////+///////+//
-----++-------++----
000000+++000000
000000+++000000
-----++-------++----
///+//////+///////+//
++++*+++*++++

+ is Highground top of mountain, maybe brown with some snow?

/ is the part where is slowly lowers and the + are again higher grounds equal or almost equal to the top, ths could be green as to give the felling it really is a mounain

- is almost the lowest point with the + being kind of observation posts

0 is the valley and the lowest point with the + being a kind of bridge of highground that connect to the second level or above the /.

and * are spans again, starting spawns. So goal is kind of take good positions on the enemies mountain and slowly advance :), maybe you can put a circle on the bridge to make it koth and give the players a clear objective, but still in this fight for the circle it would be very good to control parts or the enemy hill to try to take out his spawns or stop him from advancing.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:20 pm

To push the bounderies of MW it would be nice if we could create a city warfare map, with small passes and lots of corners, somewhat like desperate maze only then bigger in number of routes, so that it realy becomes almost like chess in that you have to think where ot send you man and anticipating on what the enmy does, because eventuallt troop placements will be the key as a bataljon of mw's fighting against 2 other enemy bataljons has no chance of winning the fight.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:27 pm

Jordy, we have a convention here of simply editing your previous post, instead of posting multiples.

Anyway, I just wanted to suggest a little improvement to that map shown up in TGFs post, would it not be better is each of the paths leading into the centre had a little hill on it? at the moment there is nothing interesting in the entire map except the centre, which is not really very interesting to be honest! Also, possibly some gun turrets on the home spawns? (although that would make the home spawns nearly invulnerable unless you put some small hills fairly close for cover)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:19 pm

A turret at the home spawns woud be nice indeed, right in front of the 2 spawns and then a hill before it as to give cover for the attackers and then they can overrun it.
The other thing I don't really agree, there already are 2 hills on the paths to the centre and 2 flat paths but further away so giving some choice, also it might seem boring but the tactics choices you have to make are plenty.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:33 pm

You have lots of strategic choices "which path do I take to attack", you have very few tactical choices like "I can take and hold that hill to defend this path well", imgine you're attacking along one of those totally flat paths, the only thing that determines the winner is numbers, wheras if there are a few hills along the way (regular hills, I'm not suggesting destroying the lovely regularity/symmetry of the map) then you have the choice of holding a hill or advancing to the next one, now the thing that determines the winner is tactics, yay!
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:49 pm

Good point, but there are still some things that can be done, most notriously formations and the unleashing of them to throw grenades, also surrounds will work and retreating to fight along another path. As of know the centre is really crucial, allowing for maximum concentration there and for maximum microing, don't underestimate the amount of micro you can put into this game. I think a fight over the hill would be the most important and clorfull aspect of the map.

But you're definetely right about your point, so that why I had that other map in mind, and maybe you have a beter or different thing in mind and like to draw it?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:12 pm

The data and levels folders are just that, folders, which I created inside my multiwinia directory. You will have to create them too. Navigate to the directory with multiwinia.exe in it, make a new folder called data, then inside data, make a new folder called levels so you would have

Q:\blah\multiwiniadir\multiwinia.exe
Then you make folders so that you have;
Q:\blah\multiwiniadir\data\levels\mapname.txt

I never get why pretty much everyone I talk to about this doesn't cotton on to how this works, even when I say you'll have to create the above directories because they are not there initially.

The reason to use the code tags is that it's a fixed width font, meaning that I and O take up the same space. If you use eg notepad, which also uses a fixed width font, you can work on it quite happily and paste it in directly. It strips any accidental BBcode formatting you might include, and it will line up the same regardless of what text/font magnification anyone might be using.

Code: Select all

It's really the way to go, I'm afraid
So, if there's 37 characters per line
they align, no matter which character
If this was not in the code tag, well
I think it would look a bit like this

It's really the way to go, I'm afraid
So, if there's 37 characters per line
they align, no matter which character
If this was not in the code tag, well
I think it would look a bit like this

So I can make

Code: Select all

--+--+--+--
ii+ii+ii+ii
BB+BB+BB+BB

all the +s line up perfectly, by having the same number of characters between them, rather than end up with this:

--+--+--+--
ii+ii+ii+ii
BB+BB+BB+BB

If you're going to use ascii, please design using fixed width fonts.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:16 pm

You seem to only suggest symmetric maps - obviously it's perfectly balanced, but it makes maps more boring. If you can design a map that is balanced and not so simple and symmetric, THEN you might have something :)
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:33 pm

Oke great got it, I made new folder Data, and within this folder I made levels folder and then within levels I put the rar-file. So if someone else is going to do the same, how can we 2 play then?

EDIT: Yeah you're right a unsymetric map would definetely have a nicer look to it, but it's really hard to say what is going to disbalance things without playtesting it properly and that would also mean to slightly adjust things constantly.

Return to “Mods and Maps”